Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Boxer ear cropping

jj1207
April 8th, 2006, 08:47 PM
:usa: I just wanted to share some thoughts on boxer ear cropping. First, i am very happy to see that every photo...thus far. that i have seen of boxers on this site is of boxers with their ears naturally floppy. I don't know for sure if this is because this is a Canadian website or not, but I am assuming that maybe-like in england- cropping is not allowed. Here in the United States, although not as popular as it once was, cropping is still allowed. My vet said that he does not like to crop ears because it is purely cosmetic and a lot of trouble; however, he is my neighbor and when he purchased a boxer last summer he cropped her ears. hypocrite- anyway I have read articles, written by those who support cropping saying that boxers were breed and designed to have cropped ears. That their ears are thin and should be cropped, which also prevents infections. I, personally, like the ears natural. I think that they are cut and much more attractive this way. Alex is a purebred boxer, and if i wished to do so she could be shown- if her ears were cropped; however, I do not wish to show her. I do understand the docking of the tail, my vet said that a boxer's tail if left natural is like a broom handle and could hurt you if you got hit with it. haha Also Alex had her dew claws removed, the vet said that domestic animals have no use for these claws.

What are your thoughts of ear cropping. :usa:

BoxerRescueMTL
April 8th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Here in Canada, you can show your boxer with cropped or uncropped ears - however sadly cropped is preferred and natural ear boxers don't really stand a chance at winning points. I look forward to the day where this changes..
The standard includes both cropped and natural (this is from http://www.boxerclubofcanada.com ):
The ears are set at the highest points of the sides of the skull, cut rather long without too broad a shell, and are carried erect. The Boxer's natural ears are defined as: moderate in size (small rather than large), thick to the touch, set wide apart at the highest points of the side of the skull and lying flat and close to the cheek when in repose. When the dog is alert the ears should fall forward with a definite crease.

Prin
April 8th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Floppy ears rock. Whether it's on a dobie, dane or boxer, I think floppy is better. It doesn't benefit the dog- it's just basically a cosmetic surgery for us. Plus, when you're lying watching tv, what are you going flop around between your fingers if the ear is all crunchy with scar tissue?

Lucky Rescue
April 8th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Plus, when you're lying watching tv, what are you going flop around between your fingers if the ear is all crunchy with scar tissue?

Oh that's really funny! That's what I do with Chloe's floppy little ears!:p

I would never put my pets through unnecessary anethesia and surgery just for a certain look.

phoenix
April 9th, 2006, 11:03 AM
I agree with all of the above!!!
Besides, to me, the charm of a boxer is her goofiness and love of life... making them look all tough and mean doesn't appeal to me at all. When Maia runs around and her ears flop up and down like little wings, I end up on the floor laughing. I've never had a dog that makes me laugh so much as she does.