Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Breath

PomPom
April 8th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Hi,

My dog Moose has never had a problem with stinky breath until I got our new dog Sonic. I changed food around the time I got him so I was wondering if that could have something to do with it. I was feeding Moose Nutromax puppy but I changed to Nutromax mini chunk and Purina one total nutrition in addition to Ceasar wet food they get every night. I have noticed Moose also has some increased eye guck as well. He seems fine besides that but I was wondering if it could also be cause by something he could of caught from the new dog. Thanks!:sick: ???

Prin
April 8th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Purina one and Cesar canned are both much crappier foods than Nutromax, so to me, that might be the source of the problem. Bad breath usually comes from the teeth and mouth, and the better the food is, the healthier the teeth are.

PomPom
April 9th, 2006, 02:03 PM
What would be a better food to substitute for the ceaser as far as wet food goes?

Lump of Kohl
April 9th, 2006, 02:21 PM
I add Solid Gold's Green Tripe to my boy's food but I keep hearing about a brand called Merrick(I think thats how its spelled) but if you want to feed them Nutro don't they make a wet food? My dog is a very finicky eater but I have done really well with the Solid Gold but there are many other really good brands of premium pet food. You will probably have to go to a smaller pet store instead of the chains. Normally the people in there can really help you choose a food. The three that were reccomended to me were Solid Gold(www.solidgoldhealth.com) Wellness(www.oldmotherhubbard.com) and Cannidae(sorry I don't know the website). I have my Kohl on Solid Gold's Wee Bits and he has done so much better with his eating. Also everywhere I go peple comment on his coat and how soft and beautiful and shiny. I love to take him everywhere with me!

Prin
April 9th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Merrick canned food is amazing. It's expensive, but if you are just using it to supplement the food, you can make a can last a week. Some of their "flavors" are more liquidy than others, so they spread over the food better.
Check it out: http://www.merrickpetcare.com/store/canned_dog_food.php

technodoll
April 9th, 2006, 04:54 PM
i personally don't care for Merrick's. At $3.19 plus tax per can, it's a total ripoff. sure it's nice stew and smells great and good enough to eat, but people use your common sense... make your own! :) boil some chicken parts, take out the bonesand chop the meat, add a chopped potato and some chopped carrots, veggies, maybe a handful of rice, thicken with cornstarch... and you have dozens of cans worth of food for about $5! freeze in individual containers and no need to run to the store and spend crazy $$... flavor your dog's kibble or whatever with good home-made stuff and everybody's healthier, including your wallet.

:angel:

OntarioGreys
April 9th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Take him to the vet to check if something else is possibly wrong since you are also noticing eye gunk, possibly he has a tooth problems, possibly a throat infection, could have inhaled something in his sinus cavity