Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

crying puppy

Martyvez
April 8th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Hi, i have a new puppy 4 weeks old. I know he is young but i discussed those issues on another thread. He's very healthy, always playing and has no problem eating or defecating. I noticed he cries alot when I am not there. I have to wake up 3-5 times per night take him out of his kennel, make him pee and feed him and then play with him a bit until he gets tired again. My question is should I give him attention everytime he cries? If so will this make a very dependant dog. Would it be better to make him cry it out once in a while to make him more independant. As it stands now I pretty give him attention everytime he whines which is starting to affact my mental health state lol haha just kidding although i never though a puppy would be so much work. Feel free to give me any tips or advice to help me out.
Thank you

phoenix
April 8th, 2006, 04:45 PM
My question is should I give him attention everytime he cries? If so will this make a very dependant dog. Would it be better to make him cry it out once in a while to make him more independant.

At this age, I don't think it will create a dependant dog. He is crying because he really should be with his mom and littermates right now. Since he can't be, YOU have to be mom and littermates. All of the things that they would have been providing... play, warmth, food, company, protection.. are your responsibility now!
We got our dog at almost 6 weeks old. He needed so much from us at first, we were exhausted. He is completely independent now, and no ill effects. I guess the only thing you don't want to react to is if you KNOW he has had everything (hot water bottle, food, water, has peed, has pooped, etc) and then you put him to bed in his crate and then he cries as you leave the room. Just don't leave him that long.

I pretty give him attention everytime he whines which is starting to affact my mental health state lol haha just kidding although i never though a puppy would be so much work.

When we got Sam, after the first 2 sleepless nights I had a mental breakdown. i had to take the day off work and cried and cried. It GETS BETTER!!! But it is an unbelievable committment. WIth our 2nd dog it went much better, and she didn't cry nearly as much because she had company.

Good luck!