Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Westie and Abreva

Doveswan
April 7th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Our 9 month old Westie found a tube of Abreva coldsore cream and had a little chew before we caught up to her. She is about 10 lb and has no symptoms or lack of enthusiasm as of yet. At the most we suspect she may have ingested less than a half gram of material. I am not looking for a medical opinion just wondering if any one has any experience that would help direct us. We would appreciate your input.

Luba
April 7th, 2006, 09:24 PM
What is in the list of ingredients and have you called your vet?

Doveswan
April 7th, 2006, 09:44 PM
We haven't called the vet as the quantity is minor and she is having no reaction as of yet. We have the luxury of living near the university of Guelph vet hospital with 24 hr emergency if needed.

Active Ingredient:
Docosanol 10%

Inactive Ingredients: Benzyl alcohol, light mineral oil, propylene glycol, purified water, sucrose distearate, sucrose stearate.

jesse's mommy
April 7th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Call poison control and ask them.

Doveswan
April 7th, 2006, 09:58 PM
The only reason we haven't called poison control as of yet is that there don't appear to be any ill affects. I just had her outside and she is still full of puppy enthusiasm. We were wondering if someone else had an experience to share before we called the experts.

jesse's mommy
April 7th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Why wait for symptoms? Why not be proactive? What if you wait for symptons and it ends up being too late? There is no harm in calling. What do you have to lose? If it was you would you want someone to wait for you to start your symptoms or would you want to know the risks ahead of time? I would put my pets health first and just make the call.

Luba
April 7th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Call the 24hour emerg clinic

Doveswan
April 7th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the direction. I think in this case it is the difference between getting a little on her tongue of an irritant, versus ingesting a bottle of poison. The amount we are talking about is minute. If this was me I would not worry about it for a minute. If there was any serious concern we would not be delaying. We may yet make the call. Thank you for your concern.

White Wolf
April 8th, 2006, 01:08 PM
The original question was answered. Regardless of the amount of product ingested, you should bring the dog to the vet or at least call with the ingredients to be sure your dog is safe.