Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New dog issues

maigrey
April 7th, 2006, 08:07 PM
My new eskie (pax) is 5 years old, about 40 pounds, and loves exploring outside more than balls, other dogs and anything else.

A few things are worrying me though, first is when I went to see him at his foster home and walked him, his poo was only about the size of like a ping pong ball, maybe smaller. And today, I walked him after I fed him and when he poo-ed, it was so small that I couldn't even see anything (granted, it was dark).

That and for an eskie, he really doesn't seem into eating. He turned his nose at all my dry kibble (solid gold, canidae, chicken a la veg, wellness5something lamb, and the beef merrick can). In the end I finally got him to eat some solid gold with half a can of merrick pot pie. He didn't finish that.

And oh did he huff. I know dogs have their tongues out in cars and stuff but he huffs. When he first got in the car (and throughout the ride) he was huffing so hard I thought he was going to hyperventilate. And I had wellness crunchy bone treats and solid gold turkey jerky and he sniffed at both and turned his head. Then I got him back and calmed him down a little =). Did the whole food drama. Then we went out for a 30 min walk around the block (I ran for a few short short stretches). And he seemed to have wanted to go out for longer but when I got him back in the lobby (he didn't fight me) he just sat in front of the elevators and huffed. He didn't budge when I tugged gently for him to go into the first two elevators (they both had people in it already from teh basement), but he went in the third empty one with me and a stranger. So I'm not sure if he refused to go because of the people or because he didn't want to move. And when I got him back to my apartment he lapped up a lot of water and huffed for like 5 minutes. Even now, when he's lying down (sleeping I presume) he's breathing pretty fast - about 12 breaths for every 10 seconds. Now am I just imagining it or is he unfit? Is this something I should rush him to a vet to?

Lucky Rescue
April 7th, 2006, 08:12 PM
What kind of vet checks have been done on this dog?

Has he been tested and cleared for heartworms?

maigrey
April 7th, 2006, 08:18 PM
All I got was a vet certificate that last year he was vaccinated for rabies etc. in june...could it be heartworms?

Lucky Rescue
April 7th, 2006, 08:24 PM
I have no idea what's wrong with him, but the huffing and puffing sounds very wrong.

If he hasn't had a heartworm test, you need to get that done asap.

maigrey
April 7th, 2006, 08:28 PM
I didn't think it was normal either. Am taking him to the family vet asap. I *was* going to wait a few weeks before subjecting him to another change but now things are different. I'm gonna call every vet near here tomorrow morning and find the one who can see him the soonest. Gees, I've had him for 3 hours and I've panicked.

Ps. the last owner obviously loved him (had him groomed and stuff) but she had a bunch of dogs and one of them didn't like him. However, I don't think she was the most vigilent...I can put 4 fingers through his collar, and I can't tighten it any more. I'm going to get a new one soon but the vet thing first.

SnowDancer
April 8th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Definitely take Pax to the vet asap. Actually we were there next day when we adopted our then 13 week old pup. Re bowel movements, El didn't go for about 3 days and then he went - he also didn't bark for 4 days - but when he did, he made up for lost time - Eskies are barkers, no doubt about it. Not surprised he lapped up the water on his return from walk - Eskies are funny, it can be very hot out and you can try desperately to get them to drink from their "walking bottle" - no way - they often wait. There is a lady who has an Eskie near my vet's office - and she has same problem - begging her Eskie to drink - nope! El also likes to pant and hang his tongue out but physically he is fine - although it scared me at first - but he is not huffing. Eskies do "sigh" though - and it sounds exactly like a person doing so. Re the food, it is surprising that Pax wouldn't eat all of the food - El was very happy with the food I had purchased for him - much more than the stuff that the breeder had been feeding him. But he was 13 weeks, not 5 years old. It could be the stress of moving that has affected his appetite or he might just not be feeling well. Certainly the heartworm issue - but also he could have been lapping up water from the street etc. and have a virus. El picked up a virus in early winter - it was all over Toronto - and he wouldn't eat for a few days - and started to vomit etc. He had to be hospitalized for 3 days and then eat Hill's canned I/D food. Your vet might well suggest I/D for a few days. Is Pax a full standard? His collar might be lose, but perhaps he is overweight - I say this because our small standard is supposed to weigh 22 lbs. for optimum health and now weighs 26.2 oz. and has to lose the weight a.s.a.p. We have regular weigh-ins scheduled to nip this in the bud. There is a large standard a few blocks from me who weighs 35 lbs. If Pax is overweight, this could be contributing to huffing and puffing. Please report back on what vet says. Also, I really think you should consider a harness rather than a collar for walking purposes - made a huge difference with our major puller. Re the elevator, I would feel more comfortable with an empty one - you never know who is going to pet your pup (or how - pulling ears etc.) and you don't need those problems. I try to discourage strangers from approaching my dog - his control group at the vet's and groomer's is not a problem - but in my neighbourhood, better safe than sorry. Also, don't forget to licence your pet a.s.a.p. The dog police are out in full force. I have been stopped 3 times for proof of licencing. Cheaper price if dog is microchipped - and of course you have to have proof of rabies shot. Don't know where in Toronto you are but same rules apply. I am in East York, fellow in husband's office lives near Spadina/King - he has also been stopped - so they are everywhere. If Pax decides you will be the recipient of Eskie hugs, get out your goalie equipment - they love to hug and kiss - and come at a run. I put my sunglasses on and get ready. From your earlier posts it sounds as if your Dad might be an Eskie Hug target.

t.pettet
April 9th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Perhaps he's really out of shape, hasn't been getting enough exercise in the past and needs to build up his stamina.

Prin
April 9th, 2006, 10:29 PM
I'd definitely take him to get checked out at the vet. Whatever they told you happened before, usually, you have to start from scratch anyway.