Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Has anyone ever had a cat w/ broken hip?

Rocho917
April 7th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Hello,

I am writing becuz I am very concerned about my cat of exactly 1 year. He broke his hip and it took me a while to save the money to go to the vet. It has now been a few weeks that he has been hurt but appears to be handaling it well.

The vet said the best thing to do is get it hip surgery (or even amputation) or put him to sleep. She said he will be in pain. He is now running, jumping, laying on that side yet still limps. I am a full time college student working 25 a week at minimum wage and do not have the money to spend on a surgery.
I have tried to call shelters and no luck. What I would like to know is if anyone thinks he may be OK w/out the surgery?? Bones heal and he seems happy, it would be a shame to put him to sleep.

Anyone who is familar with this type of situation please respond

~help~

chico2
April 7th, 2006, 04:13 PM
OMG,I could not imagine living with a broken hip..poor kitty:sad:
Could you not find a vet who will let you pay in payments??
I can't imagine he could live happily with a broken hip..
Was he hit by a car??Not that it makes much difference how it happened,but he should not have to die,because he got hurt..

Most animals can live very good on three legs,they adapt very easily.
But with amputation of his leg,would that not still leave him with a painful broken hip?
I realize you are a student,but in taking in a kitten,you should have been prepared to spend some money,accidents happen.
Good Luck to the poor little one!!

Rocho917
April 7th, 2006, 05:59 PM
He is an indoor cat and I came home one day and he had a limp. NO idea how it happened. I think he just has bad legs becuase the vet also pointed out his knees pop in and out (however are not causing any pain, yet). True that I should be prepared to take care of the animals vet bills, but I still think i did a good thing getting him out of the shelter in the first place where they were going to kill him.

Someone suggested vet schools might do it for free, have you heard of that in the state of FL? Also, I think his hip is healing by now, the bone that is. He is back to acting like a young cat, with some impairment.

I still dont' know what the right thing to do is if surgery is not an option.

Prin
April 8th, 2006, 01:11 AM
Our neighbor's dog had a broken hip or leg and they never did anything about it and they kept saying he was fine and after a few months, his leg sort of shrivelled up. It's sad...

I think you have to do something. Have you gotten the xrays yet?

Bones heal and he seems happy, it would be a shame to put him to sleep.They do, but that doesn't mean they're healing properly or in an orientation that is comfortable. You know when people tell stories about breaking something and the doctor setting it wrong and another doctor having to rebreak it to reset it so it can heal properly? The longer you wait, the more likely the cat will either heal in an unnatural position (which can probably lead to a whole bunch of different pains as a result of compensating for the hip discomfort), and you probably won't have the money to go in and rebreak and reset the bone. I don't know if that makes sense, but what I'm trying to get at is get the x-rays at the very least so you know what you're dealing with first.

chico2
April 8th, 2006, 07:56 AM
Rocho,Of course it was a good thing you saved him from the shelter,but in doing so, you are responsible for his welfare,for the next,which could be 19yrs.
I have NO experience with broken bones in animals,but if he is playing and behaving normal,maybe the diagnosis is not a correct one:confused:
I would think a broken hip,would keep a cat from running around playing..
But I am no vet,animals are able to endure pain,more than us humans.
If I were you I would call around to several vets,get a second opinion and hopefully help with any payment.
Here in Ontario,vet-schools are cheaper than regular vets,but I don't think they do surgery for free.

Rocho917
April 8th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Thanks guys for your advice, everything is still up in the air. I do think it is strange that he is now running and jumping. In fact, I read an article that said if a cat has a broken bone in its legs, it will usually hold that limp completly off the ground. It also said for animals with a sprain or slighter injury, they will limp.

Blathach
April 8th, 2006, 01:23 PM
As stated above, please take your cat to the vet and inquire about payment plans. Please post back once you get results.