Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

choke & prong collars

littlesister
April 7th, 2006, 10:36 AM
I've started attending a class where the choke collars are required, and the trainer also uses prong collars. Corrections include lifting up of the dog by the collar, slapping up under the chin, and a rolled up magazine smack on the nose for showing any aggression.
My dog is a small little guy, and I didn't think he should need a choker. I was getting the idea that these methods are pretty outdated. Yet this was a recommended trainer by one of the senior contributors here.
What do you think?

phoenix
April 7th, 2006, 10:48 AM
IMO,
QUIT and find another trainer.

those are really antiquated methods and, I think, do more harm than good. You want someone who uses positive methods.

LavenderRott
April 7th, 2006, 11:37 AM
I wouldn't take my dog to any trainer that suggested lifting the dog up by the collar! Especially if the the dog is wearing a choke collar.

Choke collars are fairly outdated and the prong collar (if fitted properly) is safer.

Sorry,but I think you need to find a different trainer.

wjranch
April 7th, 2006, 11:38 AM
However, I am not a fan of trachea damaging choke collars...or the methods you're describing. If this trainer is promoting this type of abuse as training, I pray for the dogs.... a dog should NEVER be hung by any type of collar for any reason. There are much more effective ways of gaining your dogs respect then physically abusing it.
Where are you located 'littlesister'? I'm sure someone or myself can recommend a better trainer for you.
:)

littlesister
April 7th, 2006, 11:41 AM
I'm located in Montreal, West Island more specifically.
Thanks, it would be appreciated.

Lise
April 7th, 2006, 11:59 AM
To me that sounds more like abuse than training.Training should be fun(well most of the time)Personally I've always found positive reinforcement works better than constant correction,especially painful corrections.Most dogs want to learn you have to learn to communicate clearly thats what a good trainer teaches.Is rennaisance still in the west island?they used to be great,when Jean was there.Otherwise go to few different trainers and find one you feel comfortable with.A friend of mine breeds bloodhounds and used to teach obedience in Montreal.I can find out if she's doing it again if you want

LM1313
April 7th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Check collars (aka choke collars) have an undeservedly bad reputation, IMO. Properly used, they don't harm or choke the dog and are slack most of the time.

But these methods . . .

Corrections include lifting up of the dog by the collar, slapping up under the chin, and a rolled up magazine smack on the nose for showing any aggression.

. . . make me agree that you should seek a different trainer. Slapping the dog under the chin?? I've never heard of that one. And hitting a dog with a newspaper is just going to make it afraid of newspapers.

~LM~

littlesister
April 7th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Thanx for all replies. Finally through more web searching, I've found the Lakeshore Dog Training Association to be close to where I live. Perhaps they'll be a little more "new school." Anyone heard of them?
Frankly, I have respect for whatever works, but my little dog is small, and I break dishes when I wash them, I'm a little accident prone, so I don't want to start using methods that could damage a trachea or anything else.

muckypup
April 7th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Choose a trainer you are comfortable with.

I'm not an expert but I know that this is dead wrong!!
"a rolled up magazine smack on the nose for showing any aggression"

BoxerRescueMTL
April 7th, 2006, 11:33 PM
oh jeez....please check out http://www.blueribboncanine.com They are in Dorval and I have had good experiences there..

Prin
April 8th, 2006, 01:44 AM
Check collars (aka choke collars) have an undeservedly bad reputation, IMO. Properly used, they don't harm or choke the dog and are slack most of the time.

But these methods . . .

. . . make me agree that you should seek a different trainer. Slapping the dog under the chin?? I've never heard of that one. And hitting a dog with a newspaper is just going to make it afraid of newspapers.

~LM~
I agree. I've used chokers and I love them, but what is described in the OP is just plain abuse. Sounds like the type to tell people the cure for accidents in the house is to rub the dog's nose in it... Pretty archaic stuff.

mastifflover
April 8th, 2006, 06:16 AM
This is definitely abuse is this trainer trying to show you how to kill your dog by lifting it by its choke. This is how you damage the trachea. I am glad you have found a new school, anytime you do not feel comfortable about something ask about it. A choke or prong can be excellent if used properly used wrong you can cause serious damage. I have used the prong type as well and if you are thinking about it make sure you speak to someone who knows how to use them correctly otherwise it will only hurt the dog and do nothing for training

tenderfoot
April 8th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Run quickly away from this place and maybe make a phone call to any associations they belong to. If they are members of APDT they are breaking all of the rules of the contract they agreed to.
It sounds like you are on a better tract by shopping around. Never be shy to ask a trainer to stop what they are doing and then to challenge it. This is your family member and you have the final say as to how she/he is treated.

littlesister
April 9th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Thanks so much to all.