Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lily is Better, Except She Won't Eat her Kibble!

Lilybug
April 7th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Hi everyone...thanks for all of the great advice from before. Lily has been absolutely fine since we switched her to the boiled chicken and rice. She's been on it for a week now and there have been no episodes of vomiting or diarhea. I am now attempting to transition her back to the puppy kibble and not so surprisingly she won't eat it. She picks it out of the chicken and rice and drops it on the floor! :yuck: (Clever girl!). Coincidentally though, she has lost most of her baby teeth recently and the poor girl has to "gum" everything! So, what I'm hoping is that she won't eat the kibble because she has no teeth to chew it up with...and not that she prefers the boiled chicken and rice!:D My question is - should I soften the kibble until her adult teeth come in and does anyone know how long it takes for adult teeth to come in? (If it's anything like my kids teeth, it could take months!). Anyway...once again thanks for all of the great help and support...
Cindy and Lily

Prin
April 7th, 2006, 01:02 PM
I don't know how long teeth take, but softening the food might be a good idea. It's worth a try.:)

jawert1
April 7th, 2006, 01:36 PM
When my parents old pup Max (RIP bud) lost most of his adult teeth, my mom softened up his kibble by adding a bit of turkey gravy (canned) and microwaving it so it was a bit warm. I never saw a happier aged dog, and I'd bet it would work for your young one too since she's gumming it up.

phoenix
April 7th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Gumming... poor thing!! I've never seen that... it's strange. My dogs lost teeth sporadically as pups, not all at once!
Maia is 5 months old now, and most of her adult teeth are well on their way... She never had a time when she didn't have enough to have a good chew...

Lilybug
April 7th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Ooops, I didn't mean to imply that Lily has no teeth...she still has some...it's just that she's missing just enough and in the right places that she is having great difficulty in chewing the hard food...I just got back from training class and the trainer was not surprised to see that Lily would not eat any food or treats - she figures that teething is painful and hard food just will not work as an incentive in times like this. I've started softening her kibble (mixed in with her much beloved chicken and rice) and she is having no difficulty eating that. :thumbs up