Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bird Flu Virus

Stewart
April 7th, 2006, 04:14 AM
Well just yesterday it was announced that the body of a dead swan found in Scotland was infected with the strain of this virus that can be transmitted to humans. Quite incredible how this thing has migrated all the way from Asia to the British isles.

gomez
April 7th, 2006, 07:17 AM
Yes, it's in our back door now, isn't it?

Funny how it affects us, this morning at the park I was looking at all the swans suspiciously...

Gomez of course, couldn't care less and was still trying to chase them!

Apparently now there is a second swan dead...

yikes.

Prin
April 7th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Actually, more and more studies are showing that this strain can't be transmitted to humans easily if at all. There will be a deadly flu soon, but I'm not sure this is it.

LavenderRott
April 7th, 2006, 12:54 PM
I absolutely refuse to worry about Bird Flu. Aren't there enough things out there that can kill us without having to go look for more?

gomez
April 7th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Prin, It can be transmitted to animals, and my worry is Gomez -

He has been on a lead and well supervised at the park for a few weeks now, but now I'm thinking we may start avoiding the park - it is a wild bird reserve in part - but how do you avoid all bird poo ever?

LavenderRott, I'm glad for you that you have the capability of not worrying about it... but then again, you guys across the pond are far away from it...

Prin
April 8th, 2006, 02:06 AM
Hmm... I don't know how much of a "ticking time bomb" the bird poo would be. Viruses like influenza tend to degrade very quickly in the environment and are usually better when they're transmitted directly from person to person (i.e. if your doggy inhales a bird sneeze, for example). Not sure how much virus ends up in the poo or how long it would survive the elements (usually it's minutes).