Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

This is my week for bad luck dogs. :(

theplainsjane
April 6th, 2006, 08:35 PM
I need more good thoughts, folks. One of my rescue babies is very, very sick tonight and hopefully will be better tomorrow morning.

Last Wednesday, I pulled a little black chow mix named Gus from the pound. I usually don't go for chows at all, but this little guy is just so perky and expressive. I couldn't resist him. I work closely with a wonderful rescue group in NY and often send dogs to her on transport. She posted his picture and soon had a really nice application, so I was planning to send him up this weekend.

When I first pulled him, his name was Gus--he was surrendered with his two sisters (6 month old or so) because they were getting out of their pen and chasing chickens. Well, if you kept me penned up, I'd be bored enough to chase chickens too!

He spent his first weekend out of the pound with my friend's mother and was returned with a sparkling new collar and leash and now known as King Solomon, lover of children and other dogs--not so much chickens.

There is a kennel in town that helps me out a great deal with holding dogs until they can go on transport or find a foster home--I rarely keep them there more than two weeks, but it is out in the country, lots of room to run around and he doesn't charge me anything as long as he has room and I bring food. His theory is, if he has room, they are better off there than euthanized if they are adoptable. I am SO lucky to have him.

He called yesterday morning to say King Solomon was acting "depressed" and was off his food, so I made an appt. to take him to the vet today, but wasn't overly concerned. When I picked him up, he couldn't walk and had been throwing up. I hurried him to the vet--we think it is the flu. He had some subq fluids tonight and an antibiotic injection. I had to take him back to the shelter so that he could be in iso, poor baby. I will check him early tomorrow morning and if not improved, he will spend the weekend at the vet on an IV (and I will have to get a part time job!!!)...just say a prayer that this baby pulls through. He is such a sweet little guy and a real love.

chico2
April 7th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Awww Jane,he looks adorable and very lucky to have found you.
:fingerscr :fingerscr that he will have a quick recovery and lots of good thoughts:love:

Frenchy
April 7th, 2006, 11:47 AM
I'm so sorry too,good luck,sending you good vibes :fingerscr give him a big kiss:love: from me.With you by his side,he will be alright I'm sure,thanks for taking care of him!

meb999
April 7th, 2006, 01:13 PM
poor little huney! sending him lotsa positive vibes....

theplainsjane
April 7th, 2006, 08:32 PM
He's at the vet's on iv fluids--we think he will pull through. Fingers are crossed for this sweet guy!

mastifflover
April 8th, 2006, 05:51 AM
Fingers and paws crossed for Gus here I hope he is better today

cpietra16
April 8th, 2006, 06:09 AM
++++++vibes coming your way:)

Toonces
April 8th, 2006, 07:09 AM
I hope everything turns out ok for King Solomon, he is a real looker. Thank you for taking care of him

theplainsjane
April 12th, 2006, 07:49 PM
You guys did it! Our boy pulled through and came home from the hospital today, after a nasty bout of flu. He will be neutered soon and then off to his forever home!

cpietra16
April 12th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Hooray...I'm glad all is well with King Solomon:thumbs up

jesse's mommy
April 12th, 2006, 07:53 PM
I'm so happy everything worked out and King Solomon is better!