Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Boxer with sore red ears

jj1207
April 6th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Hello,
My name is James and I own a girl boxer who is about 1 1/2 years old. Her full name is Wild Wind Stable's Lady Alexandria Walking on Sunshine "ALEX." She has allergies and has been tested; she is currently receiving injections (she is almost through.) In the past she has had sever allergic reactions that required the administration of benadryl (Sp?) and predisone (SP?) (both injection and oral.) The results of her allergy testing show that she is allergic to some of the ingredients in her food, Eukanuba, so I have decided to start to switch her over to another food that contains fewer or no ingredients that she is allergic to. The problem is that she now has scratched all of the hair off of her ears. She is ALWAYS scratching them until the bleed and she cries. I have tried everything. The vet did a scraping to check for mange, which was negative, her ears are clean- no mite dirt. They do have a slight odor and they are becoming touch and leathery from the constant scratching. I have tried to use vitamin E oil on her ears as well as things such as petroleum jelly- in the hopes that they would give her some moisture. Her ears seem very dry. She has also taken a skin and coat supplement. Nothing helps. I can not find answers to her problem. It kills me to see her in such discomfort. Can anyone help me? PLEASE!!!!!!:usa:

coppperbelle
April 6th, 2006, 07:19 PM
I would change her food immediately. If she has allergies the food is making her ears itchy. There are many allergy foods available. Look for Natural Balance and Wellness duck formulas which many dogs with allergies do well on. You can also look for Solid Gold, Wolf King which has no corn or wheat and the meat protein is salmon and bison.
You may find that these food is more expensive but you will save on vet bills and will have to feed less. These foods are richer than what you are feeding so introduce them gradually.
You should start to see a difference in a few weeks but it might take longer for the problem to clear up completely.

BoxerRescueMTL
April 6th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Hi there, check out http://www.nzymes.com I have had a lot of success with these products. And check out http://www.boxerworld.com/feeding/ for help on deciding on a good food for your boxer.

jj1207
April 6th, 2006, 07:24 PM
THANK YOU!!!!! I WILL BEGIN TO THE PROCESS OF SWITCHING HER FOOD TOMORROW. She can have duck or rabbit and potato. I have will check for the brands that you mentioned. I shop at Petsmart! I hope they carry it.

meb999
April 6th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Everything Boxer REscue Mtl said!!!
Food has alot to do with different skin rashes and outbreaks. A good quality kibble'll help your girl alot! I hope she feels better soon!

Prin
April 6th, 2006, 08:35 PM
For fur issues, I prefer fishy foods to poultry foods. There are more omega 3 fatty acids in the fish and that helps a lot with the skin and coat (among other things).

Good luck. If you need more help, don't hesitate to ask.:)

phoenix
April 7th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Hi james and alex,
petsmart will likely not have what you are looking for unfortunately:sad:
try a feed store or a small independent pet store... you'll have better luck! Hope alex feels better... boxer wiggles from maia!