Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Your Favourite Crime/Mystery Movie + my mini-rant

HunterXHunter
April 6th, 2006, 11:30 AM
I've always been a big fan of mysteries and movies that involve (carfully planned and well-organized) crimes.

Not to brag but in every mystery movie of this genre that I've seen, I can always narrow down the possible perpetrators (sp?) to 1 or 2 people by the time I'm 1/3 into the movie and I'm always right (except for one; see below). Everything about it is too predictable, and if you're like me, you may also have noticed this in 90-95% of the movies as well:

1) the survivors include at least one female and one male, with one white and one black; I think this is done so the script writers don't get sued for being racist/sexist

and

2) the first few people that are suspected are never the ones and are usually one of the last to get killed

I think the only movie that actually got me stumped and guessing the whole time was Saw (I have yet to see Saw 2, but I heard that was twisted as well :D ). I want to see more moves like Saw because they're the ones that confuse the heck out of you and surprise you at the end. Producers and script writers worry too much about politics and stuff to actually produce something really good.

My favourite crime/mystery movies of all time:

1) Saw (it stumped me so it deserves #1)
2) The Italian Job 2003? 2004? (the best "best-laid plans" movie IMO)
3) Mindhunters (plot was quite original, but killer too predictable)

So, what's yours?

-Glen

Rick C
April 6th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Without a doubt, "In The Heat Of The Night" from 1967 with Sydney Poiter and Rod Steiger would be my favourite. A wonderful commentary of time and place and an interesting mystery that might leave you stumped to the end.

Just a great, great movie from top to bottom.

"The Big Sleep" with Bogie and Bacall might not be up there for a lot of people but it will keep your head swivelling . . . . maybe more than you want but I like it.

Its not a mystery because you see the crime happen in the opening moments, but "Rope" by Alfred Hitchcock is one I like to pull out every once in a while . . . . . an entire movie shot in basically one room, with a brief interlude in a second room.

Vertigo and Rear Window are also in there.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Prin
April 6th, 2006, 03:05 PM
The Usual Suspects, the Bourne Identity (1&2), Spy Game... That's all I've got for now... Those are my favs.

jesse's mommy
April 6th, 2006, 05:20 PM
For me, in no particular order because I love them all:

- The Usual Suspects
- Seven
- Kiss the Girls
- And Then There Were None (1945 mystery)

LavenderRott
April 6th, 2006, 05:27 PM
You really don't want me to start naming movies that I love because there are LOTS!!

I love the movie "Suspect" with Cher and Dennis Quaid. I really didn't know "who done it" until it was revealed at the end.

jawert1
April 6th, 2006, 06:08 PM
My faves are:

The Usual Suspects
Silence of the Lambs (gross I know)
Miller's Crossing

jiorji
April 8th, 2006, 10:41 AM
I like the Pink Panther mystery movies. :cool: :rolleyes: