Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Harley is still sick

Rottielover
April 6th, 2006, 09:17 AM
HE HAS BEEN TO THE VET 3 TIMES. He is on panacur for parasites ( they are just trying to rule out obvious) although he had a stool sample done and none were found. He is on medication ( antibiotics) Hoping it is just Viral.
Well it has been a week and he has stopped vomiting, but still has diareah, even though he is eating the bland diet.
It has been 4 days on the bland diet, and I already see weightloss. When we were at the vet for the 2nd time, we weighed him, and he had already lost 4 lbs, that was sunday night.
I do not know how much he can take with barely any food. He is starting to look at the cat as if snack time. So he is back in his crate when I am not home.
The vet told me to wait a couple more days, and if things are not back to normal with the bland diet, to do a stool culture.
I am so scared, because I almost lost my first dog Bear to ecoli, because they thought it was a doggie virus.
Should I skip, and do the culture ASAP....How long until he loses all nutrients??? He has energy, but Rottweilers never show they are sick unless near death. That is their traits.....
Sorry it is so long, But this guy has only has had trouble since I got him....I want to make him all better:grouphug: please

catsnatcher-CDN
April 6th, 2006, 09:41 AM
oh No, Rottielover... I hope it gets better soon. :grouphug:

Skryker
April 6th, 2006, 09:44 AM
:grouphug: :grouphug: for Harley and for you. :fingerscr that he gets better soon. Is your vet open on Saturdays? Monday seems like a long time to wait to decide to do a culture if he's not improving. :sad:

mastifflover
April 6th, 2006, 09:51 AM
I would do the culture now why wait. I know what you mean he will not let you know he is sick until he is deathly ill. Mastiffs are the same they have a very high threshold of pain so we have to be there to watch them. Please keep us posted on Harley and give him a big hug

Joey.E.CockersMommy
April 6th, 2006, 09:51 AM
I hope he gets better soon you've been through so much already. Give him and you a hug from me and Joey.:grouphug:

Rottielover
April 6th, 2006, 10:04 AM
I have been throgh so much financially with him, he is the one going through all the problems. Poor baby. I just want him to go through a couple of months not being ill, or hurt. He deserves it.
He is supposed to graduate from advance OB on Monday, but depending on what happends, we may repeat the course. His health is much more important to me.

cpietra16
April 6th, 2006, 02:29 PM
I hope harley gets better. Is it possible he's getting into the cat food or something in the house. Call me

rainbow
April 6th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Sorry to hear about Harley.:sad: I would definitely get the culture done right away. Is he drinking water? I know it`s expensive but I would also consider putting him on an IV drip to keep him hydrated. Hope everything works out for both of you.:grouphug:

Rottielover
April 6th, 2006, 03:21 PM
he is not dehydrated. At first he was not drinking, but now that is back to normal now the vomiting stopped. Cpietra, Harley can not get into the cat food, I place it high so he can not reach it, or it is in the closet.
When he is home alone, all he ever did was sleep. Never got into anything...
I will be picking up a product called seagreen tonight. Cleanse his system, and give back some nutrients that he has lost.
Only alittle at a time. Want to make sure he can digest it ok.

BoxerRescueMTL
April 6th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Rottielover, have you tried adding some pumpkin to his bland diet? It may help..

chico2
April 6th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Awww Rottielover,so sorry about Harley:sad: I was hoping by now he would be ok..
:grouphug: to both you and Harley!

Rottielover
April 7th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Last night, and this morning his stool was alittle harder than before, But a bright yellow color. I spoke the the vet last night and she said that it was due to an inbalance of his digestion track. I told her now that it was getting harder again, I was going to add seagreen to the diet with some yogurt( plain) and a 1/8 of a cup of his food. Take it from there....Seems like he is slowly on the road to recovery.....
Thank you everyone

chico2
April 7th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Rottielover,:fingerscr :fingerscr that he will be better soon,be able to eat normal food and get his strenght back:fingerscr

Rottielover
April 13th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Recieved the results of his test. Stool culture. It was indeed gardia. SP....He is almost 100%, no treats still. His stool is not 100% normal yet.
He will be getting a huge treat once he is all better. Graduating OB2....
Thank you for all your kind words and prayers.

rainbow
April 13th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Glad to hear Harley is doing well.:thumbs up

chico2
April 13th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Rottielover,that's great news:thumbs up A great big smootch to Harley for graduating:party: