Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Salmon Snacks

rainbow
April 5th, 2006, 05:49 PM
I just made these super easy healthy dog treats.

1 large can (15 1/2 oz.) salmon
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 to 4 tablespoons flour

Mash salmon with bones and juice. Add baking powder and enough flour for texture. Spread onto cookie sheet. Score into whatever size you want pieces to be. Bake at 350 degrees about 45 minutes until golden. Store in fridge.

Skryker
March 17th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Those sound like good dog treats, rainbow! Bronny and Fingal love salmon, so I'll have to give these a try. The cat may even like them!:thumbs up

Frenchy
March 17th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Yes thanks Rainbow, I was just looking if I had any salmon, will have to buy some, now that Nelly has her special treat, I will have to make those for the boys.

Byrd
March 17th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Been looking for a "stinky" treat to help with working on attention. Those sound like they may just work. :fingerscr

rainbow
Those sound like good dog treats, rainbow! Bronny and Fingal love salmon, so I'll have to give these a try. The cat may even like them!:thumbs up

I bet they will cuz mine do. :D

rainbow
Yes thanks Rainbow, I was just looking if I had any salmon, will have to buy some, now that Nelly has her special treat, I will have to make those for the boys.

They are soooo easy to make. You can use tuna too if you rinse it first in water. :)

rainbow
March 17th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Been looking for a "stinky" treat to help with working on attention. Those sound like they may just work. :fingerscr

But, they don't really "stink" .....unless you don't like salmon, I guess. :shrug:

Byrd
March 17th, 2007, 05:39 PM
I love salmon. But, do they smell more than the average cookie? I got some of those salmon strips for her, and they work really well, these would be cheaper though.

Skryker
March 17th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Byrd, I got some DVP Natural Balance treats-Roll-a-Rounds-in lamb flavour and they sure are stinky! The dogs love them, though, so I use them only to convince the dogs to let us cut their nails with little fuss. (We're working on it, anyways. :frustrated: ) Unfortunatley, they love the treats so much, they get over excited when they smell them, which doesn't help the nail cutting. :p

LL1
March 17th, 2007, 05:45 PM
They sound nice and easy to make!

rainbow
March 17th, 2007, 05:47 PM
I love salmon. But, do they smell more than the average cookie? I got some of those salmon strips for her, and they work really well, these would be cheaper though.

Yeah, they do. You can also add garlic powder and/or parsley or whatever to them as well but you would have to cut back on the flour a bit. :)

rainbow
March 17th, 2007, 05:49 PM
They sound nice and easy to make!

They are the easiest treat I've found to make and good for dogs/cats too. :)

LL1
March 17th, 2007, 05:50 PM
I will have to whip up a batch,thanks for posting.

Byrd
March 17th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Yeah, they do. You can also add garlic powder and/or parsley or whatever to them as well but you would have to cut back on the flour a bit. :)

The garlic powder would be a good addition.

rainbow
March 17th, 2007, 06:14 PM
I agree, for the dogs but my cats don't like it. :D

rainbow
March 17th, 2007, 06:16 PM
I agree, and the parsley too for the dogs. But my cats don't like either so I end up setting aside a small portion without it and baking it for them. :D

Skryker
March 17th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Cats are just so picky, lol!!:laughing:

Prin
March 17th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Rainbow, when did you post this? It wasn't a year ago was it?

Raingirl posted salmon snacks too a long time ago.. Jemma and Boo tried them and they were tasty... Ok, so I can't find the post.. So maybe she didn't post it, but she knows a good recipe....:o :o

rainbow
March 18th, 2007, 12:00 AM
Yeah, my post #1 says April 5/2006. :D

Prin
March 18th, 2007, 12:04 AM
But was it today? Is the board dying a slow death? :sad:

rainbow
March 18th, 2007, 12:13 AM
But was it today? Is the board dying a slow death? :sad:

Huh??? :confused:

Prin
March 18th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Did you post it today? Last summer, people were posting and it was saying November 2005... So we kept losing the new posts because they were back in time.:D Or did you really just post this a year ago and it just got noticed today? :D:confused: :laughing:

rainbow
March 18th, 2007, 12:19 AM
I really posted it on April 5/06 and I was really surprised it didn't get any replies because I thought it was such a good easy recipe that's great for dogs and cats. :o

rainbow
March 18th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Oh, and then, the only reason it got replies today was because I suggested it to Frenchy for treats that wouldn't be too fattening for Sam and Bailey because she was making satin balls for Nelly and I didn't want Sam and Bailey to feel left out. :o

TeriM
March 18th, 2007, 12:33 AM
Wow, even I would make those :thumbs up .

rainbow
March 18th, 2007, 12:59 AM
I'm sure Riley and Lucy will love them. And, probably the cats too. ;)

Prin
March 18th, 2007, 01:05 AM
Oh, and then, the only reason it got replies today was because I suggested it to Frenchy for treats that wouldn't be too fattening for Sam and Bailey because she was making satin balls for Nelly and I didn't want Sam and Bailey to feel left out. :o

lol ok, phew! :D :laughing: I was scared there for a minute. Now all that tuna talk in the TJT makes sense....:o

It really is a good recipe. I wonder if I could substitute the wheat flour with rice flour or potato flour... :o

rainbow
March 18th, 2007, 01:17 AM
I don't see why not....it's only added for texture. :)

x.l.r.8
March 21st, 2007, 06:51 PM
So is the end product meant to be crunchy or sort and chewy, I have them in the oven right now and not sure when to take them out, oh and for the lft over mixture, it smears the inside of a kong nicely.:thumbs up

rainbow
March 21st, 2007, 07:05 PM
Either way.....it depends how you like them. I've done both. :)

Frenchy
March 21st, 2007, 07:17 PM
Stupid question ; they only sell 213 g cans, how many should I get ? :o

mummummum
March 21st, 2007, 07:20 PM
Wow no eggs or oil ! How did this one escape my eagle eye ???? My troop goes gaga when I crack open the salmon. Thanks Rainbow !

mummummum
March 21st, 2007, 07:26 PM

15.5 ounce = 439.417 608 438 gram (so 2 and a bit).

Here's a handy resource for all conversions imaginable.

www.onlineconversion.com

Frenchy
March 21st, 2007, 07:29 PM
Thanks M3X :thumbs up

rainbow
March 21st, 2007, 09:37 PM

Both Gold Seal and Clover Leaf sell 418 g cans and it's cheaper that way. Fairly often go on sale for $2.99 a can and I stock up. :)

rainbow
March 21st, 2007, 09:39 PM
Wow no eggs or oil ! How did this one escape my eagle eye ???? My troop goes gaga when I crack open the salmon. Thanks Rainbow !

Your "eagle" eye? ...... :laughing: I hope your crew enjoys them. :)

rainbow
March 21st, 2007, 09:40 PM
Both Gold Seal and Clover Leaf sell 418 g cans and it's cheaper that way. Fairly often go on sale for $2.99 a can and I stock up. :)

Maybe you can get the large cans at Costco? :shrug:

x.l.r.8
March 22nd, 2007, 08:35 PM
DO NOT take these treats to puppy class, we were there 5 minutes and had 4 other dogs at the end of the leashes trying to get nearer with noses twitching and drool hanging :dog: , we gave away all the treats and the recipe to everyone including the trainer. So i'm having to make some more (this time with tuna) :thumbs up for the recipe, it's the only thing I'll probably ever make because of the basic ingredients.

Frenchy
March 22nd, 2007, 08:37 PM
DO NOT take these treats to puppy class, we were there 5 minutes and had 4 other dogs at the end of the leashes trying to get nearer with noses twitching and drool hanging

:laughing:

rainbow
March 22nd, 2007, 10:49 PM
DO NOT take these treats to puppy class, we were there 5 minutes and had 4 other dogs at the end of the leashes trying to get nearer with noses twitching and drool hanging :dog: , we gave away all the treats and the recipe to everyone including the trainer. So i'm having to make some more (this time with tuna) :thumbs up for the recipe, it's the only thing I'll probably ever make because of the basic ingredients.

I'm sure they will be just as appetizing with the tuna. :D But, please remember to rinse the tuna well with water a couple of times first. :)

x.l.r.8
March 22nd, 2007, 11:08 PM
The tuna I have is in water not brine, does it still need rinsing. Is there something I'm missing here, is there another reason to rinse it other then the fact it may be in salt water?

rainbow
March 22nd, 2007, 11:37 PM
I've heard it's best to rinse tuna (even the packed in water kind) with water a couple of times because tuna is one of the fish that contains more mercury than other fish. :)

rainbow
March 22nd, 2007, 11:40 PM
Oh, I just remembered, canned albacore tuna is the worst. Canned light tuna isn't bad but I still rinse it. :shrug:

x.l.r.8
March 23rd, 2007, 12:05 AM
Ahhh mercury, I was to busy thinking about salt:D I have never used canned fish before.:thumbs up

TeriM
March 23rd, 2007, 12:44 AM
I have them in the oven right now :D .

Prin
March 23rd, 2007, 12:48 AM
Not quite the same smell and feeling as baking apple pie, is it? :D

TeriM
March 23rd, 2007, 12:51 AM
:laughing: Nope, I'm upstairs and the salmon smell is permeating the whole house. However, still better than when hubby cooks curry :yuck: .

rainbow
March 23rd, 2007, 12:57 AM
I don't mind the smell but then I looove salmon. :o Can you imagine making them with mackerel? :eek:

mafiaprincess
March 24th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Do these stay sort of 'whole' or crumble like mad?
Not that we don't have enough freaking cookies, treats, snacks etc lol...

rainbow
March 24th, 2007, 11:30 PM
Either....it depends on your oven and how you want them. Check them before 45 min. and if they're not hard enough leave them in longer.

mafiaprincess
March 30th, 2007, 01:19 PM
My house smells like salmon.. Cider wants into the oven..

mummummum
March 31st, 2007, 03:15 PM
:sorry: Colour me cranky but NO one is concerned ?????? about WHY we have to worry about the mercury levels in our fish and OURSELVES and what we should do to correct what WE have done to cause mercury in our water ?

Dog treats are great but what if we nor they are around ...?

Frenchy
March 31st, 2007, 06:25 PM
M3X, I just made those today for the boys, don't tell me they're dangerous now :yell:

x.l.r.8
March 31st, 2007, 08:31 PM
Only dangerous if you try and take them away :laughing:
I think mum x3 is saying it's easy for us to obsess with what goes into our dogs mouth without ever questioning what goes into our own. WE should be fighting just as hard to find out why the FDA is recalling 'human grade' food when it's not really fit for humans.:sorry: :offtopic:

erykah1310
April 6th, 2007, 02:14 PM
never mind I just saw the second page LOL

Skryker
April 6th, 2007, 02:18 PM
I don't see why not-just treat it the same as the salmon. :shrug:

Do you have to rinse the mackerel before you feed it (is there a lot of salt in it?). That would be only thing that might make a difference.

Skryker
April 6th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Oops! Me, too!

I figured that tuna was out for the, um, "aromatic" nature of canned tuna. I didn't think about the mackerel!!:laughing: