Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Distended Belly in Golden

DebraGrumbach
December 12th, 2003, 09:45 AM
My golden retriever has a very distended belly. I took her to the vet and they took fluid and did some blood work but couldn't see any reason for this. Her White blood count is high but that could be an infection. They gave her antibiotics but didn't seem to help. She's not eating, drinking, moving. This came on quite sudden. We are trying to get an ultrasound done today if the technician can come to our area (he travels through the area). My vet has no idea what is causing this. My golden is about 11 years old. She has had lyme disease and thyroid problems. Any ideas what might be causing this? The vet says she's not showing the usual signs of cancer so we are pretty sure that isn't the problem. ANy help would be appreciated.

Lucky Rescue
December 12th, 2003, 10:59 AM
I"m just curious - what does your vet mean when he says that she is "not showing the usual signs of cancer."?

Is your dog's belly filled with fluid? Internal bleeding from cancer of the spleen, etc. could cause the distention.

You say your vet "took some fluid". Do you mean fluid from her belly? What did he say it is?

Something needs to be done now- one way or the other. Your dog is most definitely suffering.

DebraGrumbach
December 12th, 2003, 12:33 PM
Sorry I didn't clarify that. She did draw fluid from her belly and there was not blood in it. Blood would be an indicator of cancer. She was given fluids last night because she was dehydrating and the antibiotics in case it was just an infection. I got a call from the vet and the ultrasound guy will be in the area after 12 noon so we brought her in. She actually stood up on her own and ate a dog treat! She looks soooo sad though. I slept on the couch last night so I could be near her and help her (though I don't know what I would do exactly).

Luba
December 12th, 2003, 07:40 PM
Oh big hugs

Where do you live? Are you comfortable with what your vet is doing for you puppy?

This must be awful to see your dog this way.

When will they tell u the results from the u/s?

You may want to check some sites all about goldens, maybe there is breed info that could help you. If you got your dog from a breeder, contact the breeder by phone and see if the dogs from this litter or other litters ...or sires etc... have had similar situation. They could shed lots of light for you.

A good friend of mine took my advise, when the vet didn't know...he called his breeder and the breeder told him right away what it was...he told the vet...the did the test and it was confirmed what the breeder said.

SOOoooooooo give that a try and keep us all posted

Luba

DebraGrumbach
December 12th, 2003, 10:28 PM
My puppy was 11 1/2 years old. They did the ultrasound earlier and they found she did have liver cancer even though the fluid from her belly didn't show the typical blood they see. Since she was old and the vet didn't have a good prognosis for her recovery we decided to have her put to rest. Unfortunately, we don't have enough money to just try everything to get her to live a little longer. While she was obviously uncomfortable she didn't suffer long.

We adopted her about a year and a half ago from friends. I picked my son up at school (he's 5) and let him know that Autumn was sick and the vet couldn't fix her. I told him she was going to sleep and wouldn't wake up or come home again. I also gave him the choice of going with me to say goodbye or to go to his after school care center. He said he didn't want her to die and he cried a little. Not a whole lot. Then he asked when we were getting another one. Kids. So I went alone and said goodbye. I was going to have her cremated. When I picked up my son tonight and we went to pick up my husband he asked if she could be buried in our yard. My husband thinks it's a good idea. She isn't supposed to be picked up for cremation until Monday.

Do you think this is a good idea? I thought seeing her grave all the time might make him sad.

Luba
December 12th, 2003, 11:09 PM
My heart is with you, I am so sorry.
My dog Rusty (the avatar under my name) died in March from Cancer. I do understand, believe me. Rusty was 16 yrs old and I got him as a pup, rescued him.

God Bless you for giving this lovely angel a loving home for the rest of her life on this earth.

I decided to go with cremation myself, and Rusty is in an urn, his picture next to it with his paw prints, in the living room...where he wanted to always be..near us.

The reason to not bury him in our yard was mostly decided because we have a lot of wild animals who would dig the ground. AND to be honest with you, seeing a marker outside in the grass when I was out there would have just been harder for 'me'.
Having the urn inside is one thing but to me the marker outside in the grass where he loved to play sounds great..... but I didn't think I could handle it.... especially if I thought of getting another dog. May sound weird but I would feel like I was in some way betraying Rusty....I think mainly cause he was with me his entire life.... and we grew up together, I got him when I was a teenager.

My deepest sympathy for you and your family. If you have a picture of your beautiful angel please post it here as I would LOVE to see it.

God Bless you and your family for the love you gave this soul!

Luba

Lucky Rescue
December 12th, 2003, 11:35 PM
Ohhh....I thought it was something like that. I am so very sorry.:(
I think you did the right thing not to put him through invasive treatments.

I'm sure he knew he was loved.

Carina
December 13th, 2003, 06:41 AM
I am so sorry for your loss...she was so lucky to have such wonderful caregivers. I've lost a dog to cancer too, it's an awful disease. You made a wise & compassionate decision.

How one deals with the pet's body is such a personal decision...you have to do what feels right. Last winter I actually dug a grave for my old dog...if she passed away at home I was going to bury her under an apple tree. But I ended up taking her to my vet...and didn't want to deal with driving her back home for burial. :( I left her there. But some people like to have a reminder of a loved pet. Whayever you decide, you can pass on your philosophy about the passing of a loved one to your son.

Also the decision as to when to get another dog is a personal one. I see it as a chance to give another dog a wonderful home...when I lost my dear Bosco to cancer, I was looking for another lovely Rottie within two weeks. I think that's OK. I also think waiting is OK too.

Please post a photo of her, if you can.