Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Heartworm???

angie79
April 5th, 2006, 10:32 AM
okies we took the cooper monster to the vet yesterday.
he got all his shots, expt. kennel cough (because we dont board him)

but the vet started talking about heartworm,he was on revolution last year but freaked out when we applyied it and we always had trouble puncturing the tube..

what heart worm meds do you reocmend?

Prin
April 5th, 2006, 10:47 AM
I use Heartguard Plus. It's a chewy, beefy-tasting pill (like a cookie full of pesticides YEY!).

papillonmama
April 5th, 2006, 10:49 AM
I use Heartguard Plus. It's a chewy, beefy-tasting pill (like a cookie full of pesticides YEY!).

We use the heartguard too, everytime they use a dose they always seem to want more.

SnowDancer
April 5th, 2006, 01:27 PM
My Eskimo had his physical yesterday, just turned 2 - and he has to lose 4 lbs. 2 oz. Not pretty. We used the topical Heartworm/Flea treatment last year and of course had a heck of a time trying to find a pink spot of skin due to his double ruff of fur around his neck, but we persevered. This year vets have been advised that there are concerns that due to the type of fur my dog has - Husky breed as well - that the meds are not getting sufficiently into the skin - I had been concerned about this as well. Our previous pups were all short haired so totally different. So we now have chewable Sentinel. Plan B was to shave a spot every month and apply. Couldn't even imagine the itching as hair regrew. Apparently Heartworm outbreaks this year are bad in Tilsonburg and Caledon.

Rottielover
April 5th, 2006, 01:58 PM
I use the sentinal as well....

Frenchy
April 6th, 2006, 11:33 AM
I use Heartguard too.The dogs love it!

doggy lover
April 6th, 2006, 01:13 PM
I give Tucker, Sentinel there are some drugs out there that you can't give Border collies so I have to watch which one he gets.

jessi76
April 6th, 2006, 01:21 PM
I'm another Heartguard user... my dog thinks it's the BEST TREAT EVER! little does he know it's a med... he literally does anything to get, he sees I have the chewy and auto sits/downs/paw/bow/speak.... he starts running through everything he knows just to get it.

AshleyMic
April 6th, 2006, 03:45 PM
We just went to our vet and he gave us heartguard, we start it on May 1st and am hoping Dale takes it with no problem. From what I have heard most dogs do well with this kind:)