Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bald Eagle Nesting

rainbow
April 4th, 2006, 05:25 PM
A guy from Hornby Island, B.C. has set up a video cam to watch a bald eagle nesting. If anyone wants to take a look...

www.hancockhouse.com

Click on "Live Streaming Video from Hornby Island Eagle Nest" (in red print)
Click on "Bald Eagle Nesting" (in green print)
Click on "Launch Windows Media Player"

Sometimes you get a 30 second informercial before the eagle nest video appears. This is live "Pacific" time zone. Sometimes she sits there very still...you have to be patient or check again later. Can hardly wait until the babies arrive!!! :thumbs up

LM1313
April 4th, 2006, 06:08 PM
I love bald eagles! *waits for the commercial to finish* :)

cpietra16
April 4th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Brings back many memories of all the Bald eagles I had the privilege to see fish for salmon, feed their youngs...oh to be back on Vancouver Island:rolleyes:

Stacer
April 4th, 2006, 08:16 PM
That is so cool, I've been watching for about a half hour now. She flew away, there are 2 eggs. She has been quite vocal (I have the volume on full and the cats get kinda jumpy when she screeches). I will probably keep checking back until the babies hatch, it's awesome.

Skryker
April 4th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Very cool!:thumbs up I just watched the adults switch places on the nest. So apparently Dad does his time, too. Yay equality among birds of prey. ;)

Prin
April 4th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Very cool. I saw her move her eggs around and she sqeaked a couple times. :thumbs up

shannonRN
April 5th, 2006, 02:34 AM
We have a few nesting pairs of eagles near the lakes & reservoirs around here. I never fail to get excited when I see them soaring, and it's just amazing to me when I offer to bring a visitor to see the bald eagles down the road and they look at me like, "What for?" Unfortunately with a 40K connection I tend to avoid any link that says "streaming" on it :(

Lissa
April 5th, 2006, 07:46 AM
All it does is show the commercial then goes to a black screen for me:( !

Prin
April 5th, 2006, 10:37 AM
For how long? Depending on your internet connection, it could take a bit for it to load. It says the streaming is 291K/minute

Lissa
April 5th, 2006, 10:41 AM
The second time I tried it, I could hear sound but no picture... When I tried to play it, I just kept getting the commercial.

We have high speed so I think my computer is just being rude! I am just as stubborn as my computer though so I am going to keep trying until I can see it!:evil:

Prin
April 5th, 2006, 10:44 AM
When did you try it? It's on pacific time, and the sun rises around 6:30-7AM, so if it was before that, it would have been dark...:D

Prin
April 5th, 2006, 10:54 AM
btw, now it's working for sure.:)

rainbow
April 5th, 2006, 11:46 AM
There was an article about it on CBC today:

www.cbc.ca/story/science/national/2006/04/04/eagle060404.html

Writing4Fun
April 5th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Glad to hear he got gov't permission and has professionals helping him. Wouldn't want to do anything that would affect their breeding!

Luvmypit
April 5th, 2006, 02:10 PM
I think the eagle is looking at me :D

I saw them switch from one eagle to another. It is really cool.

Lissa
April 5th, 2006, 03:03 PM
I think the eagle is looking at me :D

No fair!:sad:

Prin - I did see your post and I was going to reply by saying what a brainless twit I am but it still isn't working for me!

I think it has something to do with the settings my program is detecting but so far I haven't figured it out yet...

I want the eagle to look at me!:p

dmc123
April 5th, 2006, 06:33 PM
What a neat site!

Lissa - are you using the main page or linking to the "launch in windows player"? I tried that link that to see if it was faster, but it never finished loading/buffering (well I quit waiting). The main page I mean is, http://www.infotecbusinesssystems.com/wildlife/default.asp Do you use a Mac?

Skryker - you said "I just watched the adults switch places on the nest." How do you tell the mom from the dad? I was hoping to see him, but don't know what I am looking for.

I did see her stand up, look at the eggs, then fly away for less than a minute. It is so cool, I can't wait to go visit and see the little ones.

Diane

rainbow
April 5th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Glad to hear he got gov't permission and has professionals helping him. Wouldn't want to do anything that would affect their breeding!

When I first got the site emailed to me, I had concerns about that as well. That`s why I posted the CBC story.

rainbow
April 5th, 2006, 06:50 PM
The second time I tried it, I could hear sound but no picture... When I tried to play it, I just kept getting the commercial.

I think they were having some problems as so many people were trying to view. They were supposed to be adding another server or something. Keep trying!!!

Shamrock
April 9th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Thanks for posting this great site, Rainbow - I find it fascinating - check it every day.

Isnt this a neat picture? It was posted on their forum.. named "The Kiss"..:)

Skryker
April 9th, 2006, 04:38 PM
What a neat site!

Skryker - you said "I just watched the adults switch places on the nest." How do you tell the mom from the dad? I was hoping to see him, but don't know what I am looking for.

I did see her stand up, look at the eggs, then fly away for less than a minute. It is so cool, I can't wait to go visit and see the little ones.

Diane

I don't know which is which, either! If eagles are like some birds of prey, the female will be the larger of the two. What I saw was one eagle land on the nest and the other fly off. I think the it was the male that was taking his turn on the nest b/c it was smaller than the one that left.

rainbow
April 25th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Just a reminder....the first egg is due to hatch tomorrow (April 26) and the second on April 30 :D

Prin
April 25th, 2006, 05:27 PM
I was wondering... But I only remember to check at like 4AM, when it's dark out west still...:rolleyes:
It's so exciting!

Writing4Fun
April 25th, 2006, 07:21 PM
How do you tell the mom from the dad? According to the mods of their forum, the mom has a "meaner" look to her (I think that means her forehead is a little more drawn forward) and her head feathers aren't as neat as the dad's.

dmc123
April 25th, 2006, 07:45 PM
I visit that site at least daily! Can't wait to see the babies. I hope they make it.

Diane

rainbow
April 26th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Well it's 5:10pm PDT and the first baby still hasn't arrived. If any of you haven't already done so, check out their forum while you're waiting.

rainbow
April 27th, 2006, 01:56 PM
I just seen mom and dad switch (11:48am PDT). Dad landed and mom got up and when she flew off dad sat on the eggs. He's a bit smaller than her. It was so exciting to watch. :thumbs up :D

From reading on the forum, some say you can periodically hear a tapping sound which I did hear once this morning. It's supposed to be the baby pecking his way out and Doug Carrick thinks he seen a small hole in one of the eggs.

He also said that yesterday would have been day 35 which is the average number of days it takes for eagle eggs to hatch. Last year this pair of birds took 38 days to hatch. He thought it best to state 35 days on the website so everyone would be in time to watch.

There's lots of information and some good pictures captured on the forum.

rainbow
April 27th, 2006, 02:53 PM
I just found this on their forum....really sad to read these statistics.:sad:
Sure hope they make it this time.:fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

On Saturday, April 22, the chick pecked a small hole in the shell which will get larger in the next few days until hatched. Everyone should be aware that the survival rate is far below 100%.
Here are the statistics for this nest over the past 16 years:
On only 4 occasions did both chicks survive - 25%
On 7 occasions 1 chick survived - 45%
On 5 occasions no chicks survived - 30%
These statistics get worse with aging and these eagles are getting on in years - 6years of immaturity plus 17 years of egg-laying = 23 years of age - with a life expectancy in the wild of 30 years. Equal to 60 years of age in humans ... if such comparisons have any validity.
Looking at it in another way:
In the first 5 years these eagles fledged 7 eaglets.
In the last 5 years these eagles fledged only 3 eaglets.
So the odds of success now are even lower than the average numbers provided above. Let's just hope for some success.

rainbow
April 27th, 2006, 04:23 PM
I just found out something else....if you double click on the video picture, it will enlarge the picture to full screen size.:D

rainbow
April 27th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Here's a website on bald eagles:

www.baldeagleinfo.com/eagle/eagle4.html

It says on there that the eggs hatch 12 to 48 hours after the first break in the shell.

The first "crack" was five days ago. I hope that doesn't mean the same thing.

rainbow
April 27th, 2006, 10:18 PM
Ther's a webcam set up at this nest in Washington. One egg was destroyed earlier and the other hatched this afternoon.:D

www.wdfw.wa.gov/wildwatch/eaglecam/

cpietra16
April 28th, 2006, 07:35 AM
OMG....my Nicki, who was born and bred on Vancouver island and has seen and heard many easgles just jumped on the computer table when the eagle started calling out. Nicki just about knocked the screen off the table. I think she really thought that they were in the room. :D

rainbow
April 28th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Good morning everyone. Still no hatch yet but last night just before dark PDT mom stood up and there was quite a large hole in one of the eggs. Dad's on the nest right now. I really think today is the day....hope at least one of them survive.:fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

Hope you've checked the other site I mentioned.:thumbs up

rainbow
April 28th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Well still nothing. They did a switch and both eggs have holes in them. I am really starting to believe the first one is already dead.:sad: If you read the statistics I posted yesterday, it sure doesn't look good.:( :sad:

You can see the baby at the Kent nest (Washington) now. Too bad the screen can't be enlarged.:D

rainbow
April 29th, 2006, 12:45 AM
Hmmm....I guess you guys have seen everything I've posted about.:D

So what are your opinions on the picture of "the hatching"???

Prin
April 29th, 2006, 01:27 AM
Where's the pic? I was looking at the pics in their forum and it looks like both eggs have a crack, but everybody still says only one is open...

rainbow
April 29th, 2006, 01:03 PM
There was a picture of what some thought looked like "something" emerging from the egg. I tried to post it here but didn't have any luck. There's lots of shots of it on the forum if you want to take a look.

I thought it just looked like some of the mossy nesting material but then Doug Carrick posted a statement on the forum yesterday saying it was definitely the head of the baby eaglet that emerged at 1:35pm PDT.

He apologized this morning and said he was mistaken. I guess even he has "eagle fever".:D

I must admit that I don't have much hope for the babies survival.:sad: :sad:

I guess time will tell.:fingerscr :fingerscr

Prin
April 29th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Maybe it'll make people realize how fragile even the strongest predators' lives are... I hope these two make it.:fingerscr

cpietra16
May 1st, 2006, 06:07 AM
Sad to say, but neither of the eggs made it this year. There is a letter on the site explaining the detail of why this can happen. Sad, with such devoted parents, not one egg could make it. I guess its just nature and ofcourse pollution.:(

kaytris
May 1st, 2006, 08:12 AM
looked this morning, and there was only one egg visible.. with a blurry bit that may or may not have been a wee tiny eaglet head. So let's not lose hope just yet...

cpietra16
May 1st, 2006, 09:45 AM
I am always one for miracles...:fingerscr

shannonRN
May 1st, 2006, 11:56 AM
Well said, Prin.

So sad for the eagles, but I guess we had to be prepared for disappointment. I really wasn't :(

cpietra16
May 2nd, 2006, 07:24 AM
Has anyone seen what the parents did with the other egg? When I tuned in this morning I only saw one egg.

rainbow
May 2nd, 2006, 04:23 PM
Sometime between after dark Sunday night and first thing Monday morning it disappeared. Mom or Dad must have taken it from the nest and dropped it somewhere. Doug Carrick checked and it wasn't anywhere around the tree.:sad:

The other egg was still in the nest this morning but I don't think it will survive either.:sad:

The website is so overloaded today:eek: and I haven't been able to get on since 11:30 PDT this morning.:mad:

cpietra16
May 2nd, 2006, 04:28 PM
I was on this morning at 6:00 am , which is probably a repeat of the day before, since its still only 3:00 am out there. When I came on both parents were gone for a few seconds, and I saw one egg too. Its amazing how the parent has yet to lose hope.

cpietra16
May 2nd, 2006, 04:31 PM
Rainbow, this is sad, but I lived on Port Hardy and the nests around the area always had babies. At one point my husband and I counted over 20 babies flying around a shallow end of the beach picking at something interesting. Nature is amazing.

rainbow
May 3rd, 2006, 11:55 AM
cpietra, you are so lucky to have seen that and I'm sure those are memories you will always treasure.

The following is an explanation as to what may have happened to the first egg:

Someone captured video of what appears to be what happened to the first egg. The links are below.

Infotec Forum
Infotec Business Systems Community Forum
FAQ Search Memberlist Chat Usergroups Register
Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in

Forum Server #01

Video capture- Removal of piece of 2nd egg?

Infotec Forum Forum Index -> Pictures and Screenshots
View previous topic :: View next topic
More2

Posted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:07 am Post subject: Video capture- Removal of piece of 2nd egg?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: When I refer to the "second egg," I am referring to the egg that is missing. In reality, the egg that is missing is probably the egg that was supposed to hatch first!

I captured some video about an hour ago. I am assuming since it is still dark in BC, then this was video from Monday, May 1, 2006.

In reviewing the capture, I believe that this may be evidence of one of the eagles removing part of the second egg.

I am new to the Eagle Cam, so I don't know how to tell which is the mom bird and which is the dad bird.

The parents changed guard. When no one is on the egg(s), it appears to me that the second egg is to the right of the good egg. But it looks different, almost like there is something poking out of it. Started to hatch?

When the eagle starts to settle down to cover the egg(s), the eagle's left foot (the viewer's right) steps on the second "egg." The eagle appears to turn its head and look directly at the second "egg." The eagle seems to be concerned about it. He/she pokes at it THREE times. On the third time, there is evidence that the eagle has picked up part of the "egg" and dropped it on the front of the nest.

This is all conjecture.

I slowed the video down at this spot and repeated it three times to get a view of this- slow the first repeat, slower the second repeat and even slower the third repeat. Then, I did four screen captures of the piece being dropped from the eagle's mouth.

What do you all think? I was sad to see only one egg in the nest...

Click on the megaupload link below. It will go to a download page, and will ask you where you want to save it to your harddrive.

WMV 16.37 mb
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6G95WUVN

ETA: I just put this video on Youtube, so you don't have to download it. It is pretty clear on Youtube, but clearer if you download the file.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8tZ7yFyC1c

I hope it was alright to post on Youtube. I saw a post here that it was OK, but if it isn't OK, I will be happy to take it down.

Prin
May 3rd, 2006, 12:05 PM
Aw, that's sad. It's why Eagles are on the endangered list.. Some animals are just not great at reproducing, and traces of human hormones in the water supply and pollution all around aren't helping.:sad:

Luba
May 3rd, 2006, 12:22 PM
This morning...

I really hope this hatchling makes it, mama and papa seem just exhausted.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a184/LubaSadie/2006030508519px.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a184/LubaSadie/200603050851zoomed9tl.jpg

cpietra16
May 3rd, 2006, 01:14 PM
Luba is this the hornby nest??

Luba
May 3rd, 2006, 01:22 PM
Yes Maam!:D

cpietra16
May 3rd, 2006, 01:45 PM
OMG...I am so thrilled...I lovelovelove miracles....good for them. OMG. My kids and i have been glued to the monitor....I am absolutely thrilled. I am so happy that there is something.I know it is too early but its wonderful that mother nature gave them a good chance. Thanks Luba you just made my day.

Luba
May 3rd, 2006, 01:49 PM
It's very early on and the hatchling is very weak.
The parents have built the nest up a great deal since last night. We just will pray and hope that this one makes it :angel:

twomunchie
May 3rd, 2006, 01:49 PM
What a great thread! I had never seen a bald eagle until I moved to Washington. thanks Rainbow and all others.

rainbow
May 3rd, 2006, 05:37 PM
Luba...do you actually have confirmation of the second egg hatching? I can't find anything on the forum confirming it. The live feed is blacked out for me right now and a lot of others on the forum are complaining about the same thing. The last I heard about an hour ago the egg was still intact.

Luba
May 3rd, 2006, 05:53 PM
I can't get live feed either :(

Those pics I just copied from their forum. It's hard to get on the forum as well. Right now I can't get on any of it, I'm assuming it's very very busy.

lpn169
May 4th, 2006, 01:23 AM
Much smarter way to do it than some idiots near us......was on the news the other night. Some photographer just had to get pics of the bald eagles and their nest.....well they managed to startle the eagles trying to get a close up. Mom and dad abandoned the nest leaving 3 eaglets behind....they died....federal charges are filed. :evil: :evil:

Luba
May 4th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Well it seems as though the egg is still INTACT

They can't figure out what that was in the picture that seemed to be the hatchling, apparently it isn't. They say it may have been nesting material.

So I finally got on the forum and have some pictures to post but I can't get live feed, though others are which is great.

Here are some screen shots others posted from today:

http://www.nancy.maciolekblake.us/acre/eagles/may4_1.jpg

http://www.nancy.maciolekblake.us/acre/eagles/may4_6.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j256/EaglePictures/Clipboard26.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j256/EaglePictures/Clipboard27.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j256/EaglePictures/Clipboard29.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f108/CindyakaLizzie/Eagles/20060504120606.jpg

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/881/29054aaa3cd.jpg

http://img450.imageshack.us/img450/7447/30134ccc6va.jpg

rainbow
May 4th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Shortly before noon PDT pictures were captured of the parents picking up bits of egg shell and removing them. No eaglet has been seen. Parents are still taking turns sitting on the nest. :confused:

Luba
May 4th, 2006, 05:38 PM
They have built the nest up with much softer material now. I do not see the egg any longer but have seen what appears may be the hatchling.

My father called and told me he thought he saw the hatchling.

Parent on nest is very protective right now often opening beak and looking above to any flying by birds.

Must be a good sign!! They wouldn't sit on the nest if the hatchling had died there would be no need to.

Luba
May 4th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Well from the sounds of things.... the eagle parents are mourning their losses of these two eggs.

One is still on the nest, there have been pictures posted of the nest emptied now and they say there is no egg and no hatchling!

Gosh how sad they worked so hard so dedicated.
I am wondering if they are also staying there or maybe the female is staying on the nest because she is about to lay more eggs?

They have just built up this nest full of soft nesting material today.

They just have to be mourning, they look so sad so tired and dispondent!

Luba
May 4th, 2006, 06:07 PM
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j215/tdk2828/ma4a.jpg

Shells
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j215/tdk2828/9.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j215/tdk2828/17.jpg

However there is so much nesting material maybe the eaglet is camouflaged somehow and is really there!!

I await!! As i am sure you all are!

Prin
May 4th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Aww I hope it works out for them. They worked so hard! :sad:

cpietra16
May 4th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Oh this is the first time I had a chance to look today. I was so hoping for them. :sad:

cpietra16
May 4th, 2006, 08:51 PM
I just checked in and watched for 5 minutes...no one was there and no one came. It just stood empty...until next time:sad:

rainbow
May 4th, 2006, 08:56 PM
It's just so sad to see the nest empty.:sad: :sad:

Prin
May 4th, 2006, 08:59 PM
I find this sad (part of the reasons for failure to hatch)

These birds appear to be fully mature both last year and this year. Furthermore, this pair appear to e very experienced in nest building that we got to witness in such marvelous detail, and in fullfulling the incubating duties. They hardly left the eggs unattended more than 12 to 40 seconds during any exchange that I witnessed. They are not just good, and I assume experienced parents, but so compatible with each other. I take this beautiful pair to be very experienced parents. So the loss again this year of their eggs I also view as most likely due to loss of fertility due to age or polution.:sad:

OntarioGreys
May 6th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Wooohooo!!!!! A new eagle nest site will be coming later today, at the Hankock website

http://www.infotecbusinesssystems.com/wildlife/default.asp

I know there are other videos, but I so love the live streaming videos with audio instead of the ones that take a new shot every 15 seconds, they are so much more enjoyable to watch.

Prin
May 6th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Rainbow posted another site that has streaming videos... There are two options on it (one is shots every 30 sec and the other is the live video).