Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I think Lucy is sick

Soroush
April 3rd, 2006, 11:01 PM
As I mentioned in another thread Lucy gruadually stopped eating her food but jumped up and down for anything that I had in my hand. I gave her some mixture of chicken and rice and she went through it in 30 seconds, so my conclusion was that she just didn't like her own food.

This morning when she woke up it seemed like she had no energy to get out of her crate and do her usual zoomies. I took her to the park expecting a big stool considering the rice and chicken mix and the sausage bits I had fed her yesterday, but to my surprise she didn't poop!

I got worried and called the vet. He said to keep her excersized and outside until she pooped. Well, I spent 2 hours at the park giving her lots of water and making her run, but she just wasn't up for it. She did run around and play with me but it felt like she's only doing it out of habit and not interest.

I went to Ryan's Pet Foods and bought a new food. Lucy tried a few bits and seemed to love them a lot, so I bought a whole bag.

I took her out once again in the afternoon. This time she did poop but the stool was very small, but also normal looking. Not hard, not soft, just her usual stool only very little.

She didn't play at all when she was at home. All she did was sleep and just an hour ago when I took her out again, she pooped a very small amount again.

I went to the store and bought the temperature-measure thing and took her temperature. It's 38.7 celcius which is normal.

Is there anything I can do to help the situation before taking her to the vet tomorrow? I can't get out of home right now and will be away until 5:00pm tomorrow. My mom will stay with her but she can't take her to the vet.

It just doesn't make sense. The first thing that comes to mind is constipation, but her small stool is pretty normal looking. She pees regularly and her pee is also the usual color. She loves to eat treats(which I didn't give her) and human food, but doesn't even touch her food(the old or the new one). She's always running around either destroying things or jumping up and down, but today she had no desire for that.

I'm worried...

YES YES, I KNOW I SHOULD TAKE HER TO THE VET, but any other advice to help until tomorrow evening is greatly appreciated.

jawert1
April 4th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Your situation sounds similar to one I had with Peaches involving a canvas curtain tie and a subsequent duodenal blockage 2 years ago. That your vet told you to run her until she pooped bothers me, a dog will go if it needs to unless there's something wrong. She needs to go to the vet as soon as possible for barium xrays to verify that her digestive tract isn't blocked or she's starting bloat. Good luck and don't wait any longer than need be, this sort of thing can be very fatal very quickly.

Prin
April 4th, 2006, 12:03 PM
How much of the food did she eat? If she was still eating the chicken and rice, chances are her stool is smaller because she's absorbing more- but then the stool would be pretty firm.

Let us know how the vet went..:fingerscr