Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

HELP: Dog swallowed human meds

Moodette
April 3rd, 2006, 09:16 PM
My 6 month old puppy may have swallowed 1 pill of an anti-depressant. I called the emergency clinic and they told me to call poison control and/or monitor him.

I'm freaking out. My dad wont give me his credit card for the $50 poison control call fee. He said to wait until he gets here and then maybe we'll take him to the hospital.

Martini seems fine. This happened 20 minutes ago. I want to cry.

I need advice/ support. I don't know what to do. I want to induce vomiting but they (the emerg. hospital) told me not to. The thing is Martini may not have even swallowed it. I found a pill under the fridge, but I don't know if it is THE pill, or a pill dropped from another time. I'm loosing it.

Lucky Rescue
April 3rd, 2006, 09:51 PM
You called the vet and they didn't ask you how many pounds your puppy is, what kind of antidepressant or how many mgs in each pill??

A Chihauhua puppy would be different than a St.Bernard puppy.

Here is a list of antidepressants that apparently can be toxic even in small doses:
'
Medications such as imipramine, desimipramine, trimipramine, amitriptyline, and doxepin. Trade names include Asendin, Elavil, Endep, Etrafon, Limbitrol, Ludiomil, Norpramin, Pamelor, Sinequan, Tofranil, Triavil, and Vivactil.

Moodette
April 4th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Ok quick update.

Martini should be ok, I just need to watch him like a halk for a while.

I did call poison control right after I posted the message. Induced vomiting like they said. And rushed him to the animal emergency clinic. He was given some charcoal, which he wolfed down. Now all we can do is wait and pray.

Thanks for the response Lucky Rescue. And yes they did ask about weight, breed and age. The med he swallowed isn't on your list, but poison control said one pill is enough to cause serious damage.

Right now, Martini is his same old playful self. I pretty much cried all night, but he's gonna be ok. I just have to look out for his heart beat, seizors, lethargy, and agitation. If this happens to anyone in the future, get your dog help ASAP.