Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Emaciated setter--no pics yet, but will update

theplainsjane
April 3rd, 2006, 07:18 PM
My latest guy is an emaciated English Setter, called Banjo. I don't have pictures yet but will take some soon. I have never seen a dog in as bad of shape as this sweet baby. He is headed to English Setter rescue this weekend. I didn't have the heart to board him, so I brought him home. He is so thin that lying on a hard floor--I can not bear to think of it for him. He has been a stray for a long time. I am trying to work up the stomach to bathe him. He is so encrusted with filth and feces that I don't even want to pet him. We are going to fix that in a few minutes. Thank goodness the weather is warm enough that he can dry off and get back in his warm, super soft bed. I will post pictures later, I promise. But everyone please keep Banjo in your thoughts. He has a long recovery ahead of him and needs all the help he can get. Thank you!

coppperbelle
April 3rd, 2006, 07:25 PM
Thank you for taking care of Banjo. I know what it is like to bring a dog that has been thrown away. It breaks your heart.
I hope Banjo has a speedy recovery and once again thank you.

cpietra16
April 3rd, 2006, 07:49 PM
Banjo will be in my thoughts..what a life. He deserves the chance to see what the other 1/2 lives like. I wish him all the best

meb999
April 3rd, 2006, 09:10 PM
sending sweet Banjo lotsa positive thoughts -- thanks for taking this guy in :grouphug:

Frenchy
April 4th, 2006, 11:21 AM
My heart stopped when I read your post,I can't believe someone could leave him like that?A beautiful English setter (my dream dog) Speedy recovery,thanks so much for taking care of him.

theplainsjane
April 4th, 2006, 01:16 PM
I did take some pictures of Banjo this morning and I will post them when I get home.

He had his first bath last night. He was so dirty--we scrubbed (gently, poor bones) until the hot water was gone--we will do it again tonight. Sweet boy, he was so grateful and tried to dry himself off on the couch. It was so cute. His ears are wonderful--still soft and curly. I will be sad when he leaves for "rescue" this weekend.

He hates being crated, but loves having a soft bed. We are still very much only feeding small bits of food as many times a day as possible--half a cup here, half a cup there--all puppy food. I can not tell how old he is. His teeth don't look very good, but whether from malnutrition or age, I can not tell. In spite of being starved, he is not food aggressive with me or with the other dogs. His eyes are getting brighter already, but I know that one more week out there would have done him in.

He goes to the vet tomorrow for a full work up. I will let you all know what happens. Thank you for the good thoughts. They seem to be helping!

phoenix
April 4th, 2006, 01:24 PM
you are an :angel:

chico2
April 4th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Aww Jane you certainly are an :angel:
What a very sad story,hopefully with a happy ending...:fingerscr all will be well at the vet.
What a very lucky dog to have found you and your love:love:

theplainsjane
April 5th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Here are Banjo's original pictures from the shelter.

theplainsjane
April 5th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Another picture.

theplainsjane
April 5th, 2006, 02:29 PM
And one more from the shelter. He already looks so much better.

theplainsjane
April 5th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Okay, here are the after the bath pictures.

theplainsjane
April 5th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Ignore the woodshavings on my kitchen floor. They are from the doghouses that my dogs are not outside often enough to use--but they love to dig all their bedding out and track it inside!

theplainsjane
April 5th, 2006, 02:44 PM
There are six pictures total--bear with me!

theplainsjane
April 5th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Here is one more.

theplainsjane
April 5th, 2006, 02:51 PM
He's going to Above and Beyond English Setter Rescue, in Pennsylvania. They are great.

theplainsjane
April 5th, 2006, 02:52 PM
And last but not least!

chico2
April 5th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Aww Jane,the look on his face is enough to start you crying:love:
Good luck in Pennsylvania Banjo:thumbs up

twodogsandacat
April 5th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Holy crap. Poor guy. Thanks for saving him. His eyes do look very sad.

Toonces
April 5th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Thank you soooo much for helping this guy, his eyes say it all.

cpietra16
April 5th, 2006, 06:28 PM
It's almost like the soul has given up. Poor baby. Thanks for being an :angel:

dmc123
April 5th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Thank you for saving that little sweetie!

Diane

Frenchy
April 5th, 2006, 06:35 PM
oh he looks so sad poor thing.But still he is beautiful.Hope he gets adopted and spoiled rotten for the rest of his life.Please keep us posted and good luck to him and thanks to you for saving him.

theplainsjane
April 5th, 2006, 07:22 PM
He goes off to ES Rescue this Sunday and you'll be able to follow his story on the Above and Beyond English Setter Rescue (http://www.esrescue.org) website!

Banjo says thank you to everyone for all of the good thoughts and well wishes.

poodletalk
April 5th, 2006, 09:04 PM
He looks so sweet and gentle, if I lived closer I would be very tempted to take him. I hope he finds his forever family in a hurry and they treat him like a prince.