Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat refuse to lick and clean second kitten

Matheus
December 11th, 2003, 02:03 AM
Hi, I have two Siamese cats, and one is in labor. She has delivered three kittens for now, but she refuse to lick and clean second one. I (nor anyone else) didn't touched that kitten, so I don't believe that it got to do with scent of the kitten. It's alive, but it's been over 2 hours and she won't attend to it at all. She gives all the time to the first (and third), but won't even look to the second one. Is there anything I can do, or am I leave it to die? I know that nature is cruel, but this one seems healthy as any other, so I don't see any reason why should she leave this one to die. Thanks.

Carina
December 11th, 2003, 06:22 AM
How is the kitten now? It was about 1am here when you posted (I notice you are in Serbia) so nobody responded earlier...

I don't have much experience with cat birth, but I have handreared a kitten from about 2-3 weeks old, and it was ALOT of work. I imagine it would take extreme dedication to raise a newborn.

Please post how momma & kittens are doing now! I think my inclination would have been to let nature take its course if it was just this one kitten being ignored. I don't know how available vets are to you, perhaps you can get some info that way?

All the best & keeping fingers crossed here for a happy outcome.

Lucky Rescue
December 11th, 2003, 11:32 AM
Since you are breeding cats, I assume you know how to care for a newborn - cut the cord, clean the airways, stimulate elimination, etc?

Cut and tie the cord and clean the kitten, then rub the mother and other kittens with the same towel. Put the kitten to the mother's nipples. She may accept it, but if not you will have to hand rear it.

Luba
December 11th, 2003, 02:41 PM
I recall seeing 'formula' at my vet hospital for newborn kits/dogs

Maybe give your vet a call, I'm sure they'd have some advise.
Perhaps another cat with a small litter could accept this kitten.

It's been done with dogs before I know.

Keep us posted

Matheus
December 12th, 2003, 06:21 AM
Well, few minutes after posting the question, there came the fourth kitten, and while she was cleaning the last one, she took in the troublemaker too, so all is well. There are four of them now, and they are all looking great (white as snow, sucking little *******s). I contacted vet just to be sure, and he said that all was normal (although labor was longer than usual), so I'm posting just to inform all the caring souls :))
Thank you for advices once again.

Luba
December 12th, 2003, 07:41 PM
Ahh good news thats great I love hearing good news

Carina
December 13th, 2003, 06:42 AM
Excellent! :)
Best wishes to momma & her kittens.