Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Heart worm Treatment

peconec
April 3rd, 2006, 08:48 AM
:confused: I need some advice from someone who has gone through a simialr or same situation. I have a husky mix spayed female dog. I adopted her in 1998 and was told at the time she was 6 months old. Two weeks ago she started having seizure and falling to the ground. It was as if all her muscles tightened but she didnt loose conciousness, just a bit confused. Thes sizures occured sporatically. Then one day she was having as many as 8 a day. I took her to the vet and she was diagnosed with heartworm and Lyme disease. The only test done was a blood test. The vet has given me a treatment plan but said all depended ont he outcome of the cardiologist in his exam. My question is this? Although i have read that treatment of this disease is very commmon, i wonder if the age of the dog has a great factor in here? Because of the seizures, does this mean the heart worms are now in her lungs and blocking the arteries? Can someone please help me here? My final outcome and hope with all this i i dont want my dog to suffer needlessly. In whichever situation should be determined. Has anyone on the board here had a dog who was elderly treated for this condition and been succeful with it?

jawert1
April 3rd, 2006, 09:13 AM
My pointer was 3 when he went through heartworm treatment, and we had 4 seperate stages done since he was fairly far along with them. He had to be kept very quiet after coming home from the vets, and I was to monitor his stools for anything passing. He survived it, some dogs don't though, but I don't credit his survival to his age at the time (he's now 5), more so to my vet's experience and my insistence that he live (as well as his sister's). Your dog may come through this all quite well, I'm afraid you can expect a rough road though because she doesn't just have heartworm, but lyme disease as well. Tragic that you're just now finding out about this, that your vet didn't insist on preventative and testing earlier, especially since it sounds like you live in an area that has both ticks and mosquitos. Good luck, I hope your pup makes it through with flying colors and you've learned a valuable lesson regardless. Also, if she does do alright, she'll need to be on heartworm preventative and lyme vaccine the rest of her life, so plan for it now.

OntarioGreys
April 3rd, 2006, 09:43 AM
The heartworms are in her heart right now, I know of senior dogs that have been 12 and 13 that have underwent the heartworm treatment and have came out okay

A lot of the texas Greyhound adoption groups end up with strays who are heartworm positive and some also have tick diseases a well
so you can read and see for yourself about a senior going thru heartworm treatment
Bernie 10 years old
http://www.greyhoundadoptiontx.org/available/bernie.shtml

The Lyme disease itself may be the cause of the seizures, luckily it is one of the easiest tick diseases to treat a few weeks of heavy duty antibiotics like , doxycycline or amoxicillin will get rid of it
http://www.drschoen.com/articles_L2_10_.html

A very informative sight about epilepsy
http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/