Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Siamese NOSE color changed

notamonk
December 9th, 2003, 05:52 PM
I have a Male Seal point Siamese cat, he is just over 2 yrs old now, and over the last few months his nose pigment has changed from a DARK brown (black) color to a pink color. His nose does not seem unusual in any other way - I also have a female the same age and from the same litter and this has not happened with her - I have not yet discussed this with my vet and am hoping that it is not neccessary, so I am looking to get some opinions from anyone that may have an idea of what may have caused this. Thanks...

homer
December 11th, 2003, 03:51 PM
I seem to remember a similar post on this board once upon a time.

Sometimes cats can rub their noses on their plastic food dishes and their nose changes colour due to the dyes in the bowl.

By any chance is the cat's feeding bowl plastic?

If so an easy fix would be switching to stainless steel or get something funky in ceramic.

If that's not the case I also read this one that suggests these things MAY be normal.
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?threadid=1793

Homer

notamonk
December 11th, 2003, 08:06 PM
I checked the post indicated - the change in color was opposite for my cat and I am not concerned since there are no other indications of a problem but it does seem unusual and I have not found any information about such a thing anywhere as of yet. I am assuming it is some sort of rare genetic occurance, as long as nobody expresses concern or other problems begin it will just be something to talk about I guess....

Thanks