Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sick Puppy

goldenmorning
April 1st, 2006, 11:09 PM
I have a Female Chocolate Lab who had puppies 4 weeks ago today. The runt of the litter is a male, and today seemed very lathargic, no energy, and a litttle dehydrated with no appetite. We took him to the Vet and they said he might have some sort of bug or something. They gave him some liquid injections to help with the dehydration, gave some food to give it every four hours. They also gave him an antibiotic to help fight off whatever was bugging him. After we got him home he was very sleepy, and started whining lots. When we tried to get him to go to the bathroom, he had a hard time standing up... after a while he wasn't able to stand up at all, and started throwing it's head back. It has quite the appetite, and takes lots of water, but are these common side effects of the antibiotics??? I tried phoning the vets, but they were all closed up. Can anybody offer me advice or even comfort???

Lucky Rescue
April 1st, 2006, 11:27 PM
You'll have to take him back to the vet and find out what's wrong in detail, and not "a bug or something".

Runty puppies are often runty for a reason, and it can be something as serious as a liver shunt. He'll probably need some tests.

Blathach
April 2nd, 2006, 08:43 AM
Please take the dog back to the vet and post back when you get the results.