Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Copper's Limping Finally Diagnosed

Copper'sMom
April 1st, 2006, 06:03 PM
Copper has had a limp on and off again for the last couple of years. The first xray showed arthritis in his front shoulder. The second xray showed a pinched nerve in his lower back. And we just had the 3rd xray done last week and the results are - bad knees.:( His right knee is worse than the left.
He now has to lose a few pounds as the vet said he has a little too much "padding.":o We have to take a 20 minute brisk walk daily with preference to walking uphill to help build muscle. The vet also reccomended swimming as an activity as well. We will be looking into getting a pool this summer for Copper. He is no longer supposed to play frisbee or ball (which are his favorite activities) as the taking off running, stopping and jerky motions are putting him at risk to blowing out his knee.:( He will end up with arthritis of course. He will be on pills ( currently on Deramaxx)probably for the rest of his life.

Copper is only 5 years old!:( I hope this will not affect the longevity of his life. For now, I must get him in shape and keep him in shape and then find new activities for him to enjoy. What can you do with a dog that can't run around?? He does enjoy sleeping on the couch most of the time, but he also needs to let loose and run around and frolic like the big goof he is!

Anyone have tips and advice to offer? It would be greatly appreciated.

jesse's mommy
April 1st, 2006, 06:41 PM
I don't have much to tell you, but I wanted to say that I'm sorry to hear this. Being human and having arthritis in my knees from years of abuse and knee surgeries. It can be very painful. I can barely imagine how it feels for Copper. I just know you being as good of a mommy as you are, you will take good care of him!!!

mummummum
April 1st, 2006, 07:46 PM
Copper will have a hoot with the pool - just make sure the water is kept quite warm. There are all sorts of floating frisbees, neoprene rings an squeaky toys with which to play catch and chase. Swimming is the highlight of Ceili (severe hip dysplasia, plate in her hind leg to correct ruptured cruciate) and Bridie's week - I'm practically dragged to the pool - and it's a LONG walk. Ceili tends to do better on soft surfaces so if we do take a longer walk we go through the valley and stick to flat runs rather than doing the hills. Hopefully the Sasha's Blend we ordered will come in soon - have you thought about/ tried any supplements?

Lucky Rescue
April 1st, 2006, 11:22 PM
Awww, poor Copper!:(

Are you giving him glucosamine/chondroitin? This supplement temporarily helped even my last dog when he was very old.

Prin
April 1st, 2006, 11:30 PM
Poor doggy. On the upside, all the gentle activity might get you both in super shape...:o

Beaglemom
April 2nd, 2006, 04:07 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Copper has arthritis at such a young age. Misty has had arthritis in her hips and knees now since she was approximately Copper's age. She even tore her anterior and posterior cruciate ligament in one of her knees. I agree with the others about the natural supplements. If you can, give them a try. Misty has been on Sasha's Blend for quite some time now and has done wonderfully on it. She hasn't had to use any other form of pain relief.

Misty loves to run, but can't because of her arthritis. Her exercise has to be controlled. We have to make sure that she doesn't over do it otherwise she will be in pain afterwards. Maintaining Copper at an ideal weight is crucial. Just a couple of pounds can make a huge difference on arthritic joints.

Copper'sMom
April 2nd, 2006, 11:30 PM
Copper is on glucosamine, he has been for a while now. I was looking at a product on the net called Syn Flex http://www.syn-flex.ca/pets.html The price is about the same as the Deramaxx pills for one months supply. I would like to try natural supplements as I worry to much about side effects of medication.

Beaglemom, how old is Misty now? What age did she tear her anterior and posterior cruciate ligament and how did it happen - what was she doing at the time? Sorry for all of the questions! I don't know how much is too much with Copper! He can limp one minute, but if I take him out and get a favorite toy out he acts as he though he's never been better! He is so good at hiding his aches and pains when he wants to.

We've been trying to lose a couple of pounds(ok not me, but Copper!) for a while now. I don't take them out on walks often because we have alot of room to run around here and at my mom's and I thought playing ball and frisbee was good enough exercise, but i guess not! And we aren't out as much in the winter either.

I really enjoy our walks now. The weather has been perfect. My only worries now is when the summer comes. We walk in a bush area with trails and alongside a field. The bugs will be out in full force soon. I'm going to have to drive to town and go to a park where there won't be as many bugs! Bugs LOVE Copper because he's so sweet.:p And with his short hair you can see every bite. But hopefully we will have a pool by then and can do more swimming than walking!:fingerscr

Prin, your 're right! We will be in shape!! It'll be good for me to get in shape so I can carry Copper's back end around when he's an old man! I never realised how out of shape I am until I started walking everyday!

Where can you get Sasha's Blend and what's the cost?

Beaglemom
April 3rd, 2006, 08:34 AM
Beaglemom, how old is Misty now? What age did she tear her anterior and posterior cruciate ligament and how did it happen - what was she doing at the time? Sorry for all of the questions! I don't know how much is too much with Copper! He can limp one minute, but if I take him out and get a favorite toy out he acts as he though he's never been better! He is so good at hiding his aches and pains when he wants to.
Misty will be 10 this coming June. She was 4 or 5 when her cruciate ligament tore. Not exactly sure how she did it though. We let her out to the backyard and she did her usual run around, by the time she came back, she was limping and wouldn't put any weight on her hind leg. We think she took a bad corner and that was the last straw for her ligaments. She was overweight at the time. Apparently she had always had bad knees, she has patella luxation. No vet had ever told us though. We had x-rays done and that is when we found out about her degenerative joint disease on her hips and knees. She had surgery done to correct the torn ligament and she was put on a very strict diet and exercise regimen. There would be no more running around like crazy the way she used to. Dogs, being prey animals, don't usually show how much pain they are really in until it is pretty bad. This is a survival instinct and because of this they tend to overdo it quite often. We watch Misty and make sure that she doesn't run too hard or jump too much. On her walks, if I notice that she has slowed down and is looking tired, we come home and let her rest. We also massage her legs and hip area often. She likes it and we think it really helps her on her sore days.

Where can you get Sasha's Blend and what's the cost?
We usually buy the big container of powder, it is the biggest available. It costs approx $100. Misty usually weighs 32lbs and that container lasts us for approx 6 months. It is available at some vets, but others can order it for you.

Copper'sMom
January 28th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Here we are 9 months later and it has happened.:sad: Copper's cruciate liagament is starting to fray. I took him to the vet today as he was walking on 3 legs yesterday and was very uncomfortable thru the night. He has to go back to the vet in 2 weeks to be xrayed again and it will be determined within the month as to whether or not he'll need surgery.:sad: The vet put him on Rimadyl to help with inflammation and pain and of course he is restricted to laying on the couch for the rest of the month and longer I'm sure!
He'll be 6 years old in 2 weeks.:sad: Please say a prayer for my baby - it breaks my heart to see him in pain and worst of all I can't be with him all day as he is staying with my mom. I have 24 steps to my apartment, so him staying with me is not an option. :sad:

Prin
January 28th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Aww.. :grouphug: :grouphug: I'm sorry he can't be with you.:grouphug: :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

technodoll
January 28th, 2007, 11:43 PM
:grouphug: hugs to copper and :grouphug: to you... it hurts to see our babies in pain, that's for sure... is there any surgery that can be done to replace his ligaments and alleviate some pain? do you have pet insurance for him?... :pray: healing vibes sent your way... :pawprint:

Copper'sMom
January 28th, 2007, 11:53 PM
thanks ladies:grouphug:

We haven't talked about surgery options as of yet - best to wait until we know for sure. She may be able to tell me if surgery will be needed when we go back in 2 weeks for another xray

No, no pet insurance - i've looked into it before, but just never applied for it and I knew i should have the way things have been going with him limping on and off for so long. My vet is really great and will allow me to make payments I'm sure as I've done so many times before. Whatever it takes though, he'll get what he needs.

TeriM
January 29th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Awww, big hugs for you both :grouphug: . Good luck :goodvibes: .

erykah1310
January 29th, 2007, 01:46 AM
:grouphug:
Swimming is great low impact excersise, Puppy loved it and he actually had a pretty good summer that I like to say the swimming helped him have.

mummummum
January 29th, 2007, 02:34 AM
I'm sorry to hear about Copper :grouphug: One of the things I bought (which you can easily make at home) when Ceili was recovering from her cruciate surgery is a towel with straps which I would put under her lower belly to help her hoist herself up from a lying position. I hope his cruciate repairs itself and surgery is not needed !:fingerscr

Hunter's_owner
January 29th, 2007, 10:03 AM
So sorry to hear about Copper. :grouphug:

Hunter had a cruciate ligament injury that repaired itself, so hopefully you will have the same luck with Copper:fingerscr :goodvibes:

Copper'sMom
February 14th, 2007, 12:30 AM
My boy is going for surgery on Monday Feb 19th. My vet will be performing the surgery - lateral fabellar suture. This will stabilize the joint and prevent arthritis build up - he already has some arthritis, but at least it won't worsen to soon. As with any surgery, you cannot predict the outcome - my vet has had success with this surgery many times before with dogs larger than my boy, she doesn't feel TPLO is necesseary for him. He's not overly active as it is, and we will always have to be careful from now on so I think this surgery will be fine for him.

This is sooo very scary. I'm scared to death of him having surgery - but then there are so many times before I was worried sick about nothing! But with him having a bad heart murmur as a pup - even though now he is fine, I still can't help but worry! He's my baby boy!

TeriM
February 14th, 2007, 01:49 AM
Awww, big hugs to you both :grouphug: . I'm sure the surgery will go great and he will feel so much better. Keep us posted :goodvibes: .

Prin
February 14th, 2007, 02:25 AM
:grouphug: Good luck to your boy and to you. Your vet sounds confident. :) :shrug: :fingerscr :fingerscr

Hunter's_owner
February 14th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Good luck with everything:goodvibes:

babyrocky1
February 15th, 2007, 10:31 PM
My boy is going for surgery on Monday Feb 19th. My vet will be performing the surgery - lateral fabellar suture. This will stabilize the joint and prevent arthritis build up - he already has some arthritis, but at least it won't worsen to soon. As with any surgery, you cannot predict the outcome - my vet has had success with this surgery many times before with dogs larger than my boy, she doesn't feel TPLO is necesseary for him. He's not overly active as it is, and we will always have to be careful from now on so I think this surgery will be fine for him.

This is sooo very scary. I'm scared to death of him having surgery - but then there are so many times before I was worried sick about nothing! But with him having a bad heart murmur as a pup - even though now he is fine, I still can't help but worry! He's my baby boy!Hey Sherry, Im so sorry your going through this, I just saw these posts now! I know its scary... but it sounds like this is a positive thing as it will slow down the process of arthritis??? Good luck you guys, thoughts and prayers with you two! Pm me your number again... you know Ive lost it!