Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

orphaned kitten

divinecalamity
April 1st, 2006, 01:35 PM
Our cat Ryelee, whom we received pregnant...has now given birth and won't care for her kitten...she wants to be with us, she meows and follows us around like a shadow, so I have purchased kitten milk and bottle, and keep the kitty warm and massage it and clean to eliminate....but it looks sooo weak, she had it last night and I don't think she cared for it much...she will only pay attention to it if she realizes we have it...or if you sit there and watch, but she won't let it feed. Do you think this kitty as a chance if I try to save it?...so little in inocent...my pitbull zoe has been licking it the odd time and trying to cuddle up to it, but she is so big and the kitty is itty bitty so she can't be near it too long...
sorry for the long post..

I have fed puppies like this when I worked at a vet clinic so I know a little..but not a lot

Lucky Rescue
April 1st, 2006, 01:51 PM
OH dear. The mother cat may just be too young to know how to care for her kitten.

If she won't allow it to nurse, you'll have to raise it. Lucky there's only one! Newborn kittens are not easy to keep alive, but you can try.

Keep it very warm, and make sure you stimulate it to pee and poop after feeding.

Here's a few pointers:

http://www.pawsonline.info/care/orphan%20kittens.htm

Be aware that mom can get pregnant very soon again, so try and get her spayed as soon as her milk dries. You can hurry this along by not feeding her for 24 hours.

divinecalamity
April 1st, 2006, 02:04 PM
Ryelee is four years old and supposedly had one kitten once before.....thank you for the link...it will be tough to keep the kitty alive I think, especially cause she or he..i'm not sure...is already so weak :( I will try..and I am going to take it to work with me..i work in a physc hospital..so I will have a chance to see it often

doggy lover
April 1st, 2006, 02:40 PM
Do you happen to know someone that has a cat that is nursing too, it might adopt it as one of its kittens? I found a litter of kittens in the garbage when I was a kid and my teacher had a momma cat nursing, he took the kittens home for her to take care of and they all survived.

badger
April 1st, 2006, 02:47 PM
Safe Haven Animal Rescue Edmonton Society 780-707-5753

I found this shelter in Edmonton. You could contact them and see if they know of a nursing cat who wouldn't notice one more.

divinecalamity
April 2nd, 2006, 03:03 PM
Thank you for your responses and help however, shortly after I posted my second post the little kitten passed away.
thank you for the quick responses

doggy lover
April 2nd, 2006, 04:14 PM
Sometimes there is a reason that mother cats do this maybe she knew something you didn't. Sorry to hear the kitten died, this would be a good time to get momma cat fixed.