Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

12 year old dog, vomiting, very ill

brucevdkooij
April 1st, 2006, 11:56 AM
Hello everyone.

Dog information:
12 years old, mixed breed (terrier + unknown), female dog
Had an operation to treat tumors (cancer) in her nipples.

Symptons:
Vomiting, barely eats / refuses to eat, fatigue / no energy, horrible breath, strange cough.

About 2 months ago our dog started having trouble getting up the stairs. Considering her age we didn't think much of it, but quite soon thereafter she started vomiting. Maybe once or twice a week.

After about 2 weeks we took her to see a veterinarian (14th of February), the vet checked her back and said she had some pain (not severe though) and her reflexes were a little bit slow. He decided to give her two different kind of shots, one for the pain and one for the vomiting. After this he told us it should pass, gave us a prescription and sent us home. The prescription listed the following medicines:

Metoclopramide (tablet 10mg, oral), 2 halves every day for 5 days.
Meloxicam (metacam) (suspension, adjusted for weight (17kg) for 10 days)

After finishing the cure we took her with us on a weekend trip to see some family (this was the 26th of February). She was pretty vibrant, we'd walk around the neighborhood with her and she seemed to enjoy the trip. However the week after returning she started vomiting again (every 2 days) and she barely wanted to eat anything. That week I also noticed that the skin on her nose started to look irritated and her breath was just plain horrible. It must have been around this time that we noticed she had some kind of strange cough too, sort off like when a dog has a hairball and tries to get it out but a lot shorter (I'd say a second or less).

In March everything seemed to go downhill, like I said she barely ate anything, she had no energy and didn't even want to go on walks anymore (she'd basically turn around after walking a few meters). The last week or so she's been vomiting on a daily basis, she hasn't eaten anything in 2 or 3 days. However she does still drink from her bowl though.

I hope this community can give me some advice and/or share their experiences. What should I pay attention to and what should I do. I'm going to take her back to the veterinarian's office this week, I can go as soon as tomorrow. But I really don't want to go unprepared and just sit there. Below are threads I found that seem to describe the same symptoms. In one of those threads (“Dog wouldn't eat - serious problem”) the dog (named Hank, and had the same kind of breath) was diagnosed with kidney disease and later on passed away. I know I should prepare for the worst case scenario, but I want to do everything that's possible.

Referenced threads:
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=25308
My 11 yr old dog is so ill!

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=25222
Hi My 11 year old yellow lab is ill

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=21986&highlight=vomit+breath
Dog wouldn't eat - serious problem

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=16807&highlight=breath+vomiting
Kidney Problem Vs. Mouth/Tooth Problem

Referenced URLs:
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&C=31&A=523&S=1
Metoclopramide

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1752
Metacam/Meloxicam

doggy lover
April 1st, 2006, 12:23 PM
It sounds like something is really going on with your dog, no one here can really tell you better than your vet. It could be that your dog is getting older and body systems are starting to shut down for some reason. You will know when its time to make the desision to have him pts. Your vet will also let you know if more can be done or if its time due to the fact that your pet is suffering. I think I'd be making another trip to the vet, hope things go well, let us know how it goes.

Prin
April 1st, 2006, 02:51 PM
My first thought when you mentioned the breath and the vomitting was a kidney issue, but like doggylover said, we can't tell for sure over the internet... I'd get some blood tests and go from there.

brucevdkooij
April 2nd, 2006, 09:58 AM
Thanks doggy_lover, Prin.

First thing this morning I called the emergency number related to our veterinarian. I was hoping that something could still be done to try and get her back to her old self. I think my parents already knew what was going to happen, but wanted me to be ready for it. When we arrived at the vet's office she was checked out and the vet told us what she believed to be wrong. Something with her kidneys, maybe tumors, I just listened and paid attention to what she (the vet) said. She said her blood was too thick to do a blood test. If we wanted to proceed, Tijger (my dog) would have to go on an IV. Chances were slim that she was ever going to recover. So we were given an option, either we'd go all out and try everything that was possible or we'd have her pts. I personally just wasn't able to make an objective decision, so my mom took it for me.

I looked her straight in the eyes during the whole time, I'd give her little kisses on the top of her head. I felt it was important to pay my respects this way, to honor her during her final moments. She laid there peaceful on her blanket, and then it was over. During the trip home all the moments I had with her flashed through my mind, her sneaking around in tall grass playing around with other dogs, the times I playfully wrestled with her, everything.... from start to finish.

I'd like to thank this community, being able to express myself this way has helped a lot. Thanks.

jesse's mommy
April 2nd, 2006, 10:09 AM
I'm sorry for your loss. Your baby is now running free at the Rainbow Bridge. RIP little baby. :angel:

Prin
April 2nd, 2006, 11:59 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss. Kidney things can be so horrible, and it's good that you didn't want to put her through needless suffering. She had her family with her, which is far more than most dogs get, too. I'm sure she had a very good life, full of love and hugs.:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

doggy lover
April 2nd, 2006, 04:25 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss, it is sometimes better to let them go than to let them suffer. I found it quite peaceful, watching them go. May she run free to the rainbow bridge.:angel:

badger
April 2nd, 2006, 05:09 PM
That is so true - paying your respects, for a life that was worth something, and that you honoured to the end.
Sorry for your loss.