Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Midnight

jr419803
March 31st, 2006, 04:29 PM
Hello, I have a 12 year old minature poodle who has been experiencing some problems. I have just taken her to the vet in where they have told me after the x-rays and blood work she now needs a ultrasound. They are telling me that she has an enlarged liver and heart and fluid in the abdominial but cant determine why. is their anything that you may think this would be. Is it worth getting this done or at her age is it not worth it? Please help me i am very confused and frustarted that I have paid so much money and they still have not detected the problem.

Shamrock
March 31st, 2006, 04:54 PM
Hi, and welcome to the site.
I dont have any suggestions on what might be the cause of your dog's problems, but would encourage to go ahead with the ultrasound.
More testing may reveal the problem, which can then be addressed.
I realize these tests can add up,... but it's necessary, and no matter what the dogs age - it's always worth it.

badger
March 31st, 2006, 05:00 PM
Sounds like it might be serious. Fluid build-up is generally not good. Talk things over with your vet.
Wouldn't you rather know what the problem is, so that you can make an informed decision? Yah, the money part sucks, but if there's a chance of helping her over a bad patch or (I hope not), to pass peacefully, you have to hang in there with her.
We all dread our animals getting sick. If you trust your vet, I would stick with the program.
Please come back and tell us how things went.