Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cracking Sounds near spine

djs_039
December 8th, 2003, 01:47 AM
My eight-month old kitten has never been very affectionate. She plays all the time. The most playful kitten I have ever seen. I have started picking her up and holding her for a few seconds every time I walk by her. Tonight when I picked her up to pet her, I heard cracking sounds as I ran my hand down her back. I believe it was closer to her rib cage. It sounded a lot like when a person cracks their back. She has been outside occasionally and has been trapped in a tree a few times by other cats. (Which is why I don't let her out much). Could she be in pain with back problems? She does not act as if anything is bothering her while she plays to include the times she plays with my 23 lb Simamese. Thanks for any and all help/suggestions.

mona_b
December 10th, 2003, 06:45 PM
How is she now?Does she seem like she is in any pain?

djs_039
December 10th, 2003, 09:00 PM
She has never acted in pain. She does what I call the bowling ball. She dives at the 23 lb Siamese, rolling like a ball, ending up on her back with her chin under his. I have never seen a cat that did not like to be petted at all. She bites at me every time. That is why I pick her up all the time, but only for a few seconds at a time. She is running through the house as we speak, jumping, rolling and batting at the other cat. She was taken from her mother (not my idea) at four and a half weeks.

I am at a loss as why she hates being held or petted. She even sleeps on my bed at night, but not every night, just when she feel like it.

Thanks for responding,
Diane

Carina
December 11th, 2003, 06:16 AM
Well I don't know about the cracking sound...it may be some congenital abnormality that can only be dx'd by a vet (I've never encountered this?) Stupid question but are you sure it wasn't static electricity? You may want to check here:
http://www.vetinfo4cats.com/

Some cats just never ever like being handled or petted and that's just the way it is. I had one cat from little kittenhood until she died at age 15. Taz never, ever tolerated being picked up or stroked, although she would allow me to scritch under her chin once in a while. But she did like to be near her people (and her dogs!) and was quite social, followed us around, etc.

So you may just have a kitten like my Taz, and that may never change. I've known other cats like this, I don't think it's that unusual.

Of course the other reason may be because it hurts her, but to know that you would have to go to a vet....

djs_039
December 11th, 2003, 06:51 AM
Thanks Carina. I have never had a cat this anti-social. She runs, jumps, falls off the back of the couch, gets my dog to chase her in the yard when we are outside. She heads straight to a tree and then comes down the other side while my toy poodle, "is barking up the wrong side of the tree".

The only time she cries in pain is when the 23lb Siamese, she is one also, gets tired of her attacking him and bites her. He is way to patient.

homer
December 11th, 2003, 03:43 PM
Hi,

I'm with Carina on this one. Some cats take FOREVER to become affectionate. Hopefully she'll come around. You can always try the catnip trick and rub some catnip on yourself once in a while. She may start to lick you and respond positively if she is into catnip (half of cats are not). Be careful though if she starts biting you stop immediately. You don't want her to learn that hands are biting toys.

As for the cracking sound, I think you are right it's like when we humans crack our backs. I wouldn't worry if the cat shows no pain.

homer

Murph's Mom
December 11th, 2003, 04:12 PM
The catnip's a good idea. I've also heard that holding a dish of tuna for your cat to eat and patting her at the same time can sometimes work to increase their touch tolerance. It could be worth a shot. :)

djs_039
December 11th, 2003, 11:35 PM
Unfortunately for me, Fancy Feast, Tuna w/water, Tuna w/oil, cheese, meat, and anything I can think of has been fed to Bella by hand without any response to me from her other than to eat. She does come to me for any and every need. She "makes:" me play with her. If she wants to play and I am asleep, she attacks until I play with her. She rolls in a ball to attack, she jumps, and she simply seeks to grab a part of my body. I love her for her independence. Sammy, my Siamese that is 23 lbs won't let anybody but me pet him, but even if I am asleep and he feels the need, he will climb on me and purr until I wake up and pet him. Trust me 23 lbs on your chest wakes you up quick. I did not get Sammy until he was six months old. He at that time had not been handle by anybody. Bella has been with me since she was four and a half weeks old.

Thanks all

djs_039
December 11th, 2003, 11:48 PM
I have tried everything. She is not in pain. She will play no matter how rough or easy for an hour at a time. She used to jump and attack her scratchin' post and turn it over. I got a person to weigh it down. She can attack the post with the mouse with catnip in it all day, but she cannot turn it over any more. She simply pulls out the catnip out and leaves it on the floor. It does not matter whether it is fresh or dried.

Thanks all!