Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anybody see Dr Phil today (Thursday)?

Prin
March 31st, 2006, 12:44 AM
There was a couple with a deaf dalmation who had bitten their very young child in the face. The wife wanted the dog gone, but the hubby was convinced if he could have taught his wife the warning signs, it wouldn't have happened.

So I'm watching hoping I'm not going to hate Dr Phil... :D

But he kept repeating, "It's not that this dog is evil. He's deaf, and it makes him jumpy around kids who move suddenly." :thumbs up

His advice was to keep the dog away from the baby until the baby was old enough to be taught how to behave around it. Not too bad. Nothing in his answer was about getting rid of the dog. (He did mention his rescue doggy too.) All in all it was good for dogs.:thumbs up

mafiaprincess
March 31st, 2006, 01:04 AM
I wanted to see it.. I saw on yesterday's what today's was going to be about and wanted to know how he was going to handle it.

Prin
March 31st, 2006, 01:16 AM
It was ok. He told the wife that he might not give her the advice she wants because he is a super dog lover and has had dogs his whole life. I was so relieved when he said that.:thumbs up

jiorji
March 31st, 2006, 02:04 AM
But he kept repeating, "It's not that this dog is evil. He's deaf, and it makes him jumpy around kids who move suddenly." :thumbs up

oh man!! I could hear his voice in my head actually saying that. hehe

Rick C
March 31st, 2006, 09:49 AM
Maybe the better advice would have been to suggest moving this jumpy dog out of a home with small children into one that has no children.

That wouldn't preclude the couple from getting a dog that isn't deaf and it would allow the dog which can't hear to still be in a loving home.

Its not the dog's fault but the potential for another incident is still there in that current environment . . . . and the mother is certainly correct to be concerned about that. The next time might be more severe.

Also, guys don't watch Dr. Phil. It's a guy law or maybe something in the guy handbook.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Writing4Fun
March 31st, 2006, 10:17 AM
I vote for Rick C getting his own TV talk show. :thumbs up

Dukieboy
March 31st, 2006, 12:00 PM
Me too! Co-hosted by his two beautiful dogs!

Gazoo
March 31st, 2006, 06:15 PM
Also, guys don't watch Dr. Phil. It's a guy law or maybe something in the guy handbook.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Yup...

I have attempted to watch that annoying self righteous hick.....but as you can see he really "burns my grits" "said in a Dr. Phil drawl"

Prin
March 31st, 2006, 06:36 PM
I disagree. The man was in love with his dog. While it wasn't the best choice of dog for the situation, abandoning it now isn't too nice either...

Gazoo
March 31st, 2006, 06:41 PM
I disagree. The man was in love with his dog. While it wasn't the best choice of dog for the situation, abandoning it now isn't too nice either...

I disagree with your disagreement.

What's wrong with finding a more appropriate home for the dog to assure the child isn't injured again?

I always put the welfare of a child ahead of the welfare of a dog!

Prin
March 31st, 2006, 07:08 PM
Unless you are in love with the dog, and the welfare of the child is only compromised if the dog is alone with the child. Then you just don't let the dog ever be alone with the child. No need for rehoming. It's not like the dog is actively seeking this kid out. It was a one time thing.

Gazoo
March 31st, 2006, 07:11 PM
Thats just not practical ... especially in the home in question here.... where they have proven they can't keep the dog away from the child!!!!

Prin
March 31st, 2006, 07:19 PM
No, they didn't know that the dog would react that way. Now they're keeping the dog but keeping the two completely separate until the little one is older. I think it's a good solution. Dalmations aren't quick to be adopted- especially not deaf older ones.

Gazoo
March 31st, 2006, 07:28 PM
We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Prin
April 1st, 2006, 12:05 AM
yep! :thumbs up :crazy:

Writing4Fun
April 1st, 2006, 12:36 PM
Awwwww! Look at you all playing nicely! :grouphug: :highfive:

Prin
April 1st, 2006, 03:39 PM
lol It is possible sometimes.:D :evil: (but for the record, Gazoo started it :p).

iRONKNiGHT
April 1st, 2006, 06:26 PM
Yup...

I have attempted to watch that annoying self righteous hick.....but as you can see he really "burns my grits" "said in a Dr. Phil drawl"

grin's.... yeah Gazoo i'm with you lol :highfive:

Gazoo
April 1st, 2006, 06:48 PM
lol It is possible sometimes.:D :evil: (but for the record, Gazoo started it :p).

Yeah but I'm right :p

:D

Gazoo
April 1st, 2006, 06:49 PM
grin's.... yeah Gazoo i'm with you lol :highfive:

:highfive: ;) :D

jesse's mommy
April 1st, 2006, 06:49 PM
Now children, play nice.

iRONKNiGHT
April 1st, 2006, 07:00 PM
Yes mommy! lol........ i had too.. too funny:crazy:

Prin
April 1st, 2006, 10:15 PM
lol I won't stoop down to that level.

I'm right. You're wrong.:p

technodoll
April 1st, 2006, 10:25 PM
i do wonder though what the family ended up doing with dog dog, post-show. does anyone know?...

Prin
April 1st, 2006, 10:26 PM
I don't know.Before they left the show, they intended to build a dog run for the dog to go into when they couldn't be watched together.

jesse's mommy
April 2nd, 2006, 08:39 AM
lol I won't stoop down to that level.

I'm right. You're wrong.:p

Now children, do I have to put you in timeout?

Prin
April 2nd, 2006, 12:51 PM
Awww, I just came out of time out...:(