Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Peeping Tom

Joey.E.CockersMommy
March 30th, 2006, 10:29 PM
There is an older gentleman that lives two doors down - he never says hi and he is always collecting stuff from the junk yard or old scraps of wood etc, his yard actually looks like a wreckers - if I walk by him I say hi but he never says anything.

So lately hes been checking out our yard and eyeing all the scraps that are accumulating. He just stares over the fence and doesnt say anything. Today I am out taking pictures and he walks right up and starts starring in our yard. I turn around and I have my camera pointed right at him. :eek: and hes just staring - so I say hi- he stays for a moment then turns around and walks away.

If he wants the left over crap in our yard why doesnt he just say so.

I know that is what he is after - a few years back when all the houses were being built behind us he would actually climb into the dumpster and pull stuff out - he actually built a shed with all the scrap wood.

Prin
March 30th, 2006, 11:49 PM
Kinda creepy.... I don't like lurkers like that.:eek:

HunterXHunter
March 31st, 2006, 11:30 AM
While this isn't exactly a good solution, I do it just because it's fun...

You fight fire with fire! Whenever I go out to eat (especially at Chinese restaurants), there's always people staring at what you eat/order so when I see them do it, I stare back at them and then slowly move my head so that it obstructs their view of my food. I must say, it's funny when they notice you're staring back and just quickly turn away and never look over for the rest of the meal :thumbs up

I guess you can apply this to your neighbour as well although I don't really recommend it as you see your neighbour all the time :rolleyes:

LianneCatherine
March 31st, 2006, 11:38 AM
:confused:

What a freakazoid!!

Is it possible that he has a physical or mental handicap? Maybe he's deaf or has a serious case of dementia. Have you tried talking to him other than saying "hi?" Does he live alone or with other family members?

Sometimes we think people are odd or creepy because we don't know their situation - maybe it's just a point of confusion on both ends. I'd try and talk to him, maybe go over with a "neighborly" basket of goodies and ask him if he'd like something in your yard. Or, if he's still silent and uncooperative, make it clear that you would rather he mind his own business and stay away from your yard.

Hope that helps!! Good luck. :o

jessi76
March 31st, 2006, 11:48 AM
personally, I'd get out my bf's paintball gun and take aim. but that's just me...

Rick C
March 31st, 2006, 12:19 PM
There is an older gentleman . . . . .

A bit of a mental disorder I would think. Every city and town and even the countryside has them . . . . the collectors.

One old fellow in Calgary has had a city ordered cleanup of his premises several times . . . . much to his distress as his precious crap is fumigated and carted away to the dump.

Wasn't there a story in People Magazine just a few weeks ago about a couple - the husband's doing though - who filled every nook and cranny of their house with things . . . . . he finally got therapy and they are GRADUALLY, one room at a time, cleaning things out. But its very, very difficult for him even to let a single room get cleaned out.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Bearsmom
March 31st, 2006, 01:51 PM
Wasn't there a story in People Magazine just a few weeks ago about a couple - the husband's doing though - who filled every nook and cranny of their house with things . . . . . he finally got therapy and they are GRADUALLY, one room at a time, cleaning things out. But its very, very difficult for him even to let a single room get cleaned out.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

*looking around the house* Wonder if that's about US???? ARGH!

iRONKNiGHT
March 31st, 2006, 01:57 PM
There is an older gentleman that lives two doors down - he never says hi and he is always collecting stuff from the junk yard or old scraps of wood etc, his yard actually looks like a wreckers.

He's not a Peeping Tom... The old man just got a Junk Fetish! hahaha:evil:

mummummum
April 1st, 2006, 09:54 AM
It sounds like he may have an obsessive compulsive disorder commonly called hoarding. In one of my "other lives" I worked with a fellow who was given a day to remove what he wanted from his home - he took out piled high loads in two large pick-up trucks. We on the other hand removed stuff that filled two forty-yard construction bins - also piled high - and this was from a one bedroom apartment. The inside of his home can only be described as a nightmare. If your neighbour is an OCD hoarder he isn't able to stop himself from collecting and may not be able to focus on you at all. The inside of his home is FAR FAR FAR worse than what he allows the public to see in his yard. It goes without saying that if he is an OCD hoarder it isn't helpful to him to offer him more stuff. Given his age, the best thing you can do for him is to ensure that, if you suspect his house is a fire or public health hazard, you contact the Public Health department or if you have a "flying squad" of mental health workers - they also may be able to intervene.

papillonmama
April 1st, 2006, 05:09 PM
He's not a Peeping Tom... The old man just got a Junk Fetish! hahaha:evil:

I agree, maybe it's not a fetish, but a lot of people collect things that people consider junk. My older neighbor was like this with me, wouldn't say anything to me, just look. This winter I shoveled his steps and sidewalk and now his entire attitude towards me changed, he says hello, a couple of times he even beat me to the shoveling.
I say, just offer him the junk, 'hey, could you use any of this?', if of course, you don't want it, maybe he's just uncomfortable asking. I think a lot of people would feel like they were giving up some of their dignity asking someone for junk, 'specially a neighbor.:o

iRONKNiGHT
April 1st, 2006, 05:22 PM
I agree, maybe it's not a fetish, but a lot of people collect things that people consider junk. My older neighbor was like this with me, wouldn't say anything to me, just look. This winter I shoveled his steps and sidewalk and now his entire attitude towards me changed, he says hello, a couple of times he even beat me to the shoveling.
I say, just offer him the junk, 'hey, could you use any of this?', if of course, you don't want it, maybe he's just uncomfortable asking. I think a lot of people would feel like they were giving up some of their dignity asking someone for junk, 'specially a neighbor.:o

Okay so i was being cheeky ;) yeah i agree with what you say!:thumbs up