Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Where could they have come from?

erykah1310
March 30th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Im so discouraged:( Today was the first day that i ventured out to the shed that we keep our hay in (snow fall makes it next to impossible to access in winter) I opened the door to start prepping to place more hay in this summer and to my suprise there was at least 5 cats that went scurrying away. After spending the better part of my afternoon in there (setting up some food and water for the poor things) I managed to catch one with a homemade catch pole and a carrier. She is clearly a former pet in heat and hungry. I brought her in the house and she is being held in the spare room with food and blankets ( poor little girl) Im going to have to find a way to catch the rest of them, i dont want them breeding in there and the kittens getting hurt or sick. Anyone have any good suggestions for humane traps? I just couldnt believe that there have been cats in there all winter by the looks of them. Little Squiggles (RIP little guy) must have been out there with them too and worked up the courage to take the journey to the house out of hunger! Im going to get in touch with some rescue organizations around here and see if they would be willing to take them in :fingerscr

CyberKitten
March 30th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Local rescues or the department of natural resources (or its equiv in Ontario) should be able to lend you some humane traps so you can obtain the rest of the barn cats (poor kitties) but lucky in the sense that they have you as their angel. :angel:

I do wish you luck - if you have a room to keep them. I'd place them in some sort of quarentine in the event some are ill. Do you have a vet who will help you , ie not charge knowing they are rescues? I do hope you have some no kill rescues there that can assist you? Perhaps someone on the Board from your area will know this better than I.

I just wish you and the kitties well!!!!

badger
March 30th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Your local shelter/pound should be able to lend you one. Lucky cats, life is looking up!
Whoops, didn't read Cyber's post closely enough. Let us know what happens,eh?

erykah1310
March 30th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Will keep you all posted thats for sure, the little female is resting good now, i have checked her thouroughly for fleas and there is none. She however CLEARLY has an upper respiratory infection (poor girl) so she is definately in quarantine for the time being.

cpietra16
March 31st, 2006, 07:05 AM
You are an :angel: and they will be ok now. At least they had HAy to keep warm all winter. With the food you put out you can at least expect them to come back...good luck in trapping them. Let us know

Luvmypit
March 31st, 2006, 01:14 PM
You are doing a great thing! Please update us. Wish there were more people like you in this world.

canine14
April 1st, 2006, 04:02 PM
Our local feed store sells Havahart traps for reasonable prices. You could also just go there and see if anyone has one to lend you.

erykah1310
April 3rd, 2006, 08:18 AM
Hi everyone, what a busy weekend I had with the kitties, I went and baught a Havahart trap and have caught 3 so far, they are very scared ( i dont blame them one bit) so far 2 females (in heat) and one big tom!! And i mean BIG. The Humane society has agreed to take them in, there is for sure 2 more to go and thankfully it doesnt seem that they have bred (YET) Made a trip on Saturday and brought one female and the big male in, I just got the other female yesterday. Shes doing a bit better but has some minor injuries so today Im heading back on the 1 hour drive to the Humane Society. Just wanted to let y'all know that things are going GREAT!!