Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

PLS HELP, dog ate my birth control pill

doglover604
March 30th, 2006, 08:05 PM
hi there

could anyone please share some advice or help me calm my nerves? I've got a male chihuahua (9lbs), and a female Pekingese (13lbs), and tonight when I got home from work I found my birthcontrol (alesse) pills on the ground, when I looked, there was one pill missing...I dont' know who ate it. I've called my vet and he said it should be ok, and I also called a hollistic vet for second opinion, and they said it shouldn't be too bad, but to feed them a big meal to help w/passing the stool and monitor them for 40 days. this is a complete freak incident, and the pills were ontop of my desk, with the chair pushed in...I do not know what possessed or even how either of them got a hold of it. Please let me know what you guys think, because although I've got advice from my vets, I'm still naturally worried. Thanks guys!

Prin
March 30th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Before we got Jemma, she ate a whole pack and the owner didn't bring her to the vet at all, but she was ok... I don't recommend not bringing your dog to the vet for a whole pack, but it was just to say she's ok. Well... She does have low estrogen now, but I don't know if that is at all related.;)

doglover604
March 30th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Thanks Prin for your reply. WOW a whole pack? I think I would have fainted. I'm just extra worried because my dogs are quite small, and the chihuahua is on medication for a really bad anal gland infection from a few monthes back. I haven't seen any puke around nor are they acting funny, I really hope they will juss pass it out in their stool soon...

Prin
March 30th, 2006, 09:39 PM
If the vet said she'd be ok, then I think it'll be ok. Birth control, especially Alesse, has a really tiny amount of hormones now. I just hope when she's coming down from her estogen high she doesn't get PMS...:evil: :D

SnowDancer
March 31st, 2006, 10:42 AM
I expect that one of your little darlings has learned how to swing up to the seat of the chair and then to the table top. I have seen a 10 lb. Dachshund do it after surgery. Just a matter of balance. Rule of thumb, where there is a will there is a way - so I never leave anything out that puppy could get. Also if there happens to be a "helpful" cat in the household, kitty will often pitch items down to puppies because he/she wants to help the pups - or to cause trouble. We have had both situations. One of our cats used to pitch her food straight into our Beagle's mouth - they had a very good relationship. Agree with your vet, shouldn't be a problem with Alesse.