Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

ranty rant rant

maigrey
March 30th, 2006, 04:47 PM
I'm sure this has been ranted about many a-times but I feel that I should get my fair shot. I'm working through getting a dog that would be comfortable with my lifestyle and every once in a while, I check the Toronto Humane Society website.

And I read this on their adoption site:

I am a spayed female, black and brown german shepherd. The shelter thinks I am about 10 years old. My guardian gave me up because I am showing signs of hip troubles…

I mean, are you kidding me? Oh look, a dog I've had for presumably a fair while (since no person who would adopt a 10 year old dog would get rid of it for hip troubles) has health issues that come with age - perfect time to drop her off at a shelter...

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? *#@($&*(@#% *( @#&%*#& #@*$&#@(*&$#@)$*(#@ #(@*$)(#*@$

...okay, I feel better now (only marginally)...GAAAAAAH

Writing4Fun
March 30th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Happens all the time, unfortunately. :sad: Ask the people on this board who are involved in rescue what their "favourite" excuses are. Heck, do a search for it. There are some threads with long lists of excuses they've heard. Everything from "We're having a baby so she has to go" to "His fur clashes with the new sofa." As Prin is so fond of saying, people suck. :(

maigrey
March 30th, 2006, 04:55 PM
yeah but this isn't even an excuse, its a "my dog is old and frail, good bye"

people do suck.

Lucky Rescue
March 30th, 2006, 05:01 PM
That's nothing unusual. People are rotten rotten rotten! I hope they get theirs in due time.

chico2
March 30th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Yes,"people"and I say that lightly certainly suck:mad:
Often we have read about older dogs being adopted,by some of the very caring people here.
In one instance the dog only lived a few weeks,but those last few weeks were happy ones,thanks to the adopter.
There is no greater evil to me,than dumping an old faithful dog,because he/she has healthproblems.

poodletalk
March 30th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Couple of years ago,someone asked me if they could drop off their very old golden off at our shelter so it could be his " retirement home." True story...

Another time, someone told me they were giving me their cat! I asked them, why was he giving ME his cat? A cat that I never saw nor did I ever mention that I wanted his cat. He said, it's sick and I don't want to pay his vet bills!!

Recently, someone dropped off their poodle mixed off at the shelter, they never mentioned to us on the phone the dog was pregnent. The day the dog arrived at our shelter, she gave birth!

In the middle of a very cold night, someone tied a 13 year old dog to our mailbox (at the shelter), when the staff drove up to the shelter the dog was sitting their freezing!!!! They brought the dog inside, and now he's the mascot of the cat room. He loves the cats and the cats love him.

I agree people do suck......

maigrey
March 30th, 2006, 05:11 PM
It just occured to me, although I'm just guessing because there's probably not been a study done on this or anything (or there could've been, there are lots of studies done on lots of things) but most of the people who do these things have no empathy...I mean think about it, no one who would imagine themselves in a dog's shoes (so to speak) would do stuff like that. That's part of the reason I think people who are cruel to animals should be punished as if their actions were against humans, because if you can't put yourself in the place of an innocent animal without guile, what chance does a flawed human being have in your eyes?

These people are high up on the "dangers to society" list where a pitbull would be somewhere near the bottom between chipmunk rebellions and libidinous horned owls.

free
March 30th, 2006, 06:28 PM
my nieces husband didn't know that as dogs get old they may need to go out in the middle of the night or have accidents because his dog never was like that. when she got old they sent her to a farm so they wouldn't have to deal with it.

cpietra16
March 30th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Yup..more reasons to be embarrassed to be part of the human race:yuck:

LavenderRott
March 30th, 2006, 06:56 PM
A couple of quick - old dog stories.....

A couple of years ago, my mom and I went to the local shelter to see what was there. My mom ended up adopting an older poodle mix. He had been found abandoned in a building in a nearby town. He was FAT, his eyes looked bad and he couldn't walk more then two steps without his back legs collapsing underneath him. When mom asked the lady at the counter about him, she was told that the dog was old and crippled so would probably be put to sleep. Well, my mom is over 60 and has arthritis in her hands so she decided that the little guy was coming home with her.

A quick trip to the vet revealed slipped stifles and about 10 extra pounds of weight. She worked with him every day, carefully monitoring his calorie intake and as the weight dropped, the length of the walks increased. By the end of the summer he had lost enough weight that he could walk around the block with no problems and he was found a home with an older couple who also watch his weight and walk him daily.

Last summer, a friend of mine in Montana adopted an 8 year old blind rottweiler from a shelter in New York. Online friends transported hm through Canada to Montana. Again, a trip to the vet showed that the dog wasn't blind but could use a little bit of a diet. Once he was integrated into the house, he was enrolled in obedience classes and this summer he is being shown! At his first show, he got his first leg towards his AKC Companion Dog title!

Prin
March 30th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Good stories.

Even my big Boo. He's not old, but when we got him, he was dirty, missing fur, had cracked ribs and had big open wounds all over his body. Now, nobody can tell he's been abused.:)

Maybe that dog has some life in it yet.

Frenchy
March 30th, 2006, 07:59 PM
The past 2 weeks have been craaazy with all the people giving their dogs away.We don't have enough fosters,and practicly all the dogs are about 8 to 10 yr old,we even have an 12 yr old female!Fortunatly,people are more and more aware of the joy of adopting an older dog,I did it,3 times.It's the owners lost,my gain.

Prin
March 30th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Spring cleaning?:sad:

CyberKitten
March 30th, 2006, 11:04 PM
I do not operate a rescue tho am on the Board of one and volunteer with Siamese Rescue and some of the excuses are beyong ridiculous but I am speaking to the converted here.

Sometimes, I think cats have a secret network out there that leads them to the homes of those of us who take in strays. I have found some wonderful cats - often pregnant or ill that I am certain someone left near my home (cannot proove it but it is their loss!). LR is right, some ppl are just rotten, sadly!! I hate the expression "what goes around..." but I do hope anyone who has ever abused an animal or dropped one somewhere gets what they are owed!! (and it is NOT good!). I mean I am hesitant to think mean thoughts about anyone but these ppl are mean to start with!!

mummummum
March 31st, 2006, 01:50 AM
Ohhhhh Cyberkitten I have no hesitation whatsoever to think mean thoughts about the walking waste of human skin that abused Boo or that piece of garbage masquerading as a human being who abandoned a dog on a freezing night. No, in my world there's a special place in hell reserved JUST for them. They are a reflection of virtually everything that is wrong with the human race - self-centred, narcissitic, sociopathically without empathy, certain of their entitlement to have and dispose of anything, violent, arrogant and barbaric. I have nothing but awe and admiration for those involved in rescue and abuse investigations - I couldn't do it, I don't have that kind of self-restraint to deal "legally" with people who violate and mistreat animals.

BernerLver
March 31st, 2006, 09:26 AM
Our newly adopted BMD is about 6. We were told the shelter staff found him tied up outside one morning.

He had to be shaved becuase his fur was such a mess, his nose was dirty, dry and cracked, he had lip fold pyoderma so bad that it was actively bleeding and he was having obvious trouble in his hind end.

I asume people just didn't want to deal with the issues of an older dog. Now almost 2 months later he's almost fully healed.

All it took was a $3.00 bottle of hydrogen peroxide for his infection, a $23.00 bottle of supplements for his joints and a better quality diet. He acting like a much younger dog already.

I'm glad he joined our family where his health and happiness won't have any conditions :love:

HunterXHunter
March 31st, 2006, 12:17 PM
People DO suck...because they're selfish!

The problem is, most (some?) pet owners treat their pets more like "animals" rather than as a friend or even as a person. Just as how you wouldn't like to be dumped by your children when you get old or not cared for when you're ill, your pet would feel terrible to know that they've been abandoned by their human-family members.

LM1313
March 31st, 2006, 05:40 PM
To some people, animals are just "things" and "tossing out" the family dog is of no more concern than throwing away the old lawn mower. :(

Because people suck.

~LM~

mom_to_many
March 31st, 2006, 09:05 PM
Do these people not realize their dog can and will die of a broken heart. An older dog especially will mourn the loss of their owner, whether due to death or like the a**hole above! I had a dog (not old!) who would not eat or play if I left for any length of time.I had to go for 2 weeks and came back to a very hungry, depressed dog. And she would be with my roomate whom Trip had known all her life. She went with me everywhere after that! I just knew if anything happened to me, she would have to be put to sleep. I was her world and there was no replacement.

AshleyMic
April 3rd, 2006, 11:47 AM
It breaks my heart to think of all the animals who are just abandoned due to age or illness. If Dale ever needed any kind of expensive medical care I wouldn't even have to think twice, he is my furbaby and is treated as a very important member of my family. I do not understand how a person could give away their dog, animals spend their whole lives showing unconditional love to their owners and the fact that some people can just discard them makes me so angry. When I adopted Dale I took him in for the rest of his life, I made that commitment to him and he knows he has found his forever home.
I tell you it's no surprise that I prefer animals over most people.