Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My 11 yr old dog is so ill!

farsmom
March 30th, 2006, 12:39 AM
My boy Fars had water diarrhea so we gave him ammodium (the vet suggested). That seemed to help and I thought he was okay after a couple days but then he quit eating and started vomiting. I took him to the vet and they put him on an IV in their hospital for 2 days. They said he ate this morning and sent him home today to see how he does. He hasn't ate at all and is very lethargic. He can't walk well and just lays there shivering once in awhile. He is drinking a little but he smells the food and walks away. His nose is wet (when he's not sleeping). The vet had suggested doing a test for Addisons disease but really doesn't feel that is it. When he first ran the blood test he said Fars sodium and elektrolytes were low and something else maybe signaled pancreatitis but when I took him home today he suggested Addisons test again if he doesn't improve but he really doesn't feel that's what it is. Anyone have any suggestions? I'd really hate to start over and put him through all the tests at another vet, Fars hates going to strange places, especially doctors! Please let me know if you have any suggestions! I'd really appreciate it. Thanks! :fingerscr

jawert1
March 30th, 2006, 09:28 AM
The test for Addison's (as well as Cushings) is relatively simple and takes about 3 hours. As much as you hate having to put him through more tests, it's obvious something is wrong and the vet keeps coming back to Addison's. My recommendation is have the test done, at least to make sure. My pointer went through this testing back in the fall and it wasn't a big deal (he doesn't much care to go to the vets). Good luck and keep us posted

farsmom
March 30th, 2006, 10:49 AM
jawert1,
Thanks for your information. What were the results of your pointers test?

jawert1
March 30th, 2006, 11:21 AM
In my case, Simon had neither Addison's or Cushings and his issues (lots of water drinking/loads of pee'ing/very diluted urine) disappeared as quickly as they came. But I was glad for having him go through the test so I knew for sure :/ Sorry it's not more definitive than that but I really hope your guy is ok

rainbow
March 30th, 2006, 12:38 PM
When he first ran the blood test he said Fars sodium and elektrolytes were low and something else maybe signaled pancreatitis

Is pancreatitis ruled out? I once had a dog that got it and his symptoms were the same as Fars. Good luck:fingerscr and let us know.:pawprint:

farsmom
March 31st, 2006, 02:54 PM
No, pancreatitis is not ruled out as far as I know. We're waiting for the Addison's test results this afternoon. Anything you can you tell me about pancreatitis?

farsmom
March 31st, 2006, 03:43 PM
The Addison's test show it was his adrenal gland. Farley's staying the night with an IV for fluids and had a couple shots to pep up his appetite so I'm supposed to pick him up tomorrow morning and then continue with another shot of PercortenV every 25 days to keep his adrenal gland in check. The bummer is the cost of the injection is $159 per bottle and is only enough for 2 1/2 shots per bottle. The upside is we get our sweet Farley back!