Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Wool sweater shrunk...

Prin
March 29th, 2006, 09:22 PM
It's my favorite and it shrunk a while ago and I decided to try to revive it today, and I spent an hour stretching it out while watching the tube to no avail.

Anybody know how to unshrink wool? Is it gone forever? Say it ain't so. :sad:

jiorji
March 29th, 2006, 09:27 PM
I found this on eHow.com:

Everyone has had the experience of accidentally washing a wool sweater. When wool gets wet and warm, the fibers in the wool lock themselves together and don't want to let go, resulting in shrinkage (you can get wool warm or wet, but not both). Read on to try to remedy the problem.

Steps:
1. Soak the garment in a tub with a mixture of hair conditioner and water. Gently pull the sweater to reshape.

2. Try another method if that doesn't work: Dissolve one ounce of sodium borate (borax) in a couple of tablespoons of hot water, add the mixture to a gallon of lukewarm water, immerse the garment and pull gently into shape. Rinse in a gallon of warm water with 2 tbsp. vinegar.

3. Soak the garment in warm water with a mild soap for about 10 minutes to unlock the fibers in the wool. Lay the garment out on some towels in a cool place but don't rinse. You can roll it up in the towel to absorb the excess water.

4. Then stretch the garment out to its original dimensions. The stretching (also called blocking) pulls the unlocked wool fibers away from one another.

5. Allow the garment to dry for any of the methods mentioned above.

Prin
March 29th, 2006, 09:32 PM
I don't get where #4 fits in... I roll it up in towels in number 3 and leave it and then reshape? I have to understand so I don't accidentally screw it up more...:o

iRONKNiGHT
March 29th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Whenever something like this happend's my Helpfull motto seems to be the best remedy.." Out with the Old, In with the New.. Helloooooo Baby "

Prin
March 29th, 2006, 09:39 PM
oh, I'd cry. That sweater has been with me through thick and thin... It kept me warm in the half-pipe, was my blanket for the many nights I slept in my car, was one of the only things I left home with... I loves my sweater.:D

rainbow
March 29th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Everyone has had the experience of accidentally washing a wool sweater. When wool gets wet and warm, the fibers in the wool lock themselves together and don't want to let go, resulting in shrinkage (you can get wool warm or wet, but not both). Read on to try to remedy the problem.

I tried this once and it worked. Good Luck.:fingerscr

Prin
March 29th, 2006, 09:54 PM
lol the part you quoted was how the sweater shrunk in the first place.. Wait.. Is that what worked? Warming it up to shrink it?

iRONKNiGHT
March 29th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Prin i dont think you should try to fix your Sweater.. it might end up looking like this...

jiorji
March 29th, 2006, 10:21 PM
hmm...i'd say you roll it up and let it dry and then stratch it....i THINK....

I hope someone else has some suggestions.

Prin
March 29th, 2006, 11:20 PM
lol what? You don't want to be responsible for more shrinkage?

It seemed to be working, but I don't have a clue how to get the conditioner out though... So I was rinsing it with cold water and it was shrinking before my eyes... You should have heard me screaming..:o

Prin
March 30th, 2006, 12:28 AM
Ok, just in case anybody tries this, make sure you use a conditioner you like the smell of. I could smell it from the next room so I just redid it with Zero... Zero rinses a LOT easier too...

Let's just hope it doesn't shrink during the night! :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr
(After looking at my favorite sweater for at least a couple of hours today, I'm getting my hopes up of getting to wear it again. Yey sweater! Thanks Jioji.:highfive: )

jiorji
March 30th, 2006, 02:33 AM
woohoo

I hope it works too :D

I can picture you wearing it nonstop for the next month if it gets back to size . hehe

Prin
March 30th, 2006, 04:33 PM
lol my thoughts exactly.

I'm still waiting for it to dry...:rolleyes:

gomez
March 30th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Is your man bigger than you? Get it wet (cold water) it and make him wear it till it's dry, that may stretch it...
h
If all else fails maybe it can become a doggie sweater....

Prin
March 30th, 2006, 05:08 PM
lol actually no, he isn't bigger than me. Heh heh....:o My brothers are scrawny little things too... lol

I think it's one of those sweaters where even if it's unwearable (if it ever dries and lets me try it on), I'd still keep it as a momento... :o