Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Leptospirosis Risks

Beaglemom
March 29th, 2006, 09:39 AM
It's that time of year where Misty is going in for her annual checkup, heartworm check and vaccinations. I've been giving her the annual Lepto shot. She receives the DHPP every 2 years and the rabies every 3 years. I'm debating whether or not I should give her and Princess the Lepto shot this year. Princess has never received it as she is still quite young having received only her 1st set of puppy vaccinations (DHPP). She is 10 weeks old.

Misty has handled the Lepto shot quite well in the past. Everytime she receives it we have to stay at the vet's office for an extra 30 minutes or so to make sure she has no reaction. I'm afraid of Princess' reaction though. She cried quite a bit when she received her DHPP vaccine. Being that she is a bichon/pom cross, she is at a greater risk for a serious reaction to the Lepto vaccine.

Does anyone know what the risk of Lepto is in Ontario? Is it worth risking the shot? I've spoken to the vet clinic at our cottage and they just said that Lepto is more of a threat now than years ago, but didn't tell me that it was common in that area.

All our dogs travel to the cottage pretty much every weekend during the spring through to the fall. They don't drink from puddles and will not even dare get their feet wet in the lake. They only drink bottled water or municipal water, never well water. Other than the cottage, which is in the Kawarthas, they are city dogs living in Toronto.

Melinda
March 29th, 2006, 09:49 AM
in the last 3 yrs Canada/ontario, has updated their lepto shots, it's now made by bayer IN Canada, and covers all 6 strains where before it only covered 5 because the 6th was wiped out, so they thought. I lost my 4 yr old to lepto, she was one of 3 cases in Eastern Ontario of the 6th strain that they thought was gone, if you get NO OTHER SHOTS...get the lepto one, it is not pretty watching your loved pet die of it.....because of Daisy, canada revised their shots, so she didn't die in vain. two of the dogs died within a month, I kept Daisy alive for almost a full year with 1/3 of her liver working, I'd do it again tomorrow if it brought her back to me. They say Daisy caught it by inhaling the urine of an infected wild animal, it could have been a deer, rabbit, groundhog...anything. Please get the shot, don't put yourself or your pet through what we went through....she was the major focus of a few universities...studying her case...don't skip it please...if I sound panicky, I am, I can't imagine anyone NOT getting it for their pet. The cost alone of keeping a dog alive with lepto is staggering, I lost track after the first 2 grand...I'd spend it again though....

Prin
March 29th, 2006, 11:41 AM
I get it because my vet said there were reports of lepto raccoons in Montreal...

Beaglemom
March 30th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Melinda, I'm so very sorry for your loss. I know it must have been heartbreaking to see Daisy suffering. You did the best you could and she is lucky to have had you.

Thanks for your advice. Misty has been getting the Lepto shot now for a few years. I know she can handle it quite well as she hasn't yet had a reaction to it. I'm more worried about Princess possibly having an allergic reaction to it. I will be discussing this issue further with our vet. Princess will be getting her DHPP booster on April 8th and I will discuss it then. I may decide to wait untill she is just a little older before she gets her Lepto vaccine though. She is still quite young. She cried a lot when she received her first vaccination.