Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sneezing kitty! HELP!!!

msrent
December 7th, 2003, 11:48 AM
Hi! I am new to the board! I have a 2 year old Kitty! His name is Lionel! Lately, he has been shaking his head. I took him to the vet and his ears were clear and clean. He eats, sleeps, drinks, and uses his litter box. Last night he shakes his head and then sneezes. It happens often. His eyes are dry and his nose is wet and cold. My vet thought he might have a food allergy but he has been on hte same food for the whole time I have had him which has been over a year. What could make him sneeze? He doesnt act sick, he was playful a bit last night too....I gave him a decongesten presrcribed by the vet if he needs it. He took it with some canned food and ate it. He does everything he is supposed to be doing like aeting drinking and using the litter box, he just is sneezing and I don't know if I should call the vet back. What could be makiing him sneeze?? I feel so bad!!! Could someone helkp me please??

mona_b
December 7th, 2003, 12:02 PM
Hmmmm maybe he has an allergy from something in the house.Cats do get allergies too.Is he an indoor or outdoor cat?

msrent
December 7th, 2003, 01:35 PM
Lionel is an indoor cat. I am trying to figure out why he would besneezing the past coupld of days. I cleaned this weekend...vacummed and dusted with a fleather swifter...couold that have done it? Could he be sneezing becaus of that?? What do you think???

mona_b
December 7th, 2003, 02:07 PM
Has he ever reacted like this before when you cleaned?Have you used anything different when you cleaned?Maybe he got some dust up his nose.

msrent
December 7th, 2003, 03:07 PM
We just turned on the heat about a month ago. He never reacted like that before after I cleaned. Not that I can recall. He is sleeping a lot today...Which is a good thing right? I dont think I used anything different when I cleaned either. I stopped using the LYSOL because it was very strong and he didn't like that. Could it be his food? I also have a cool mist humdifier that use in the winter since I got him because it gets really dry in my apartment. I seem to recall last winter he sneezed I think...I just remembered that....what do you think?? I am totally lost...

mona_b
December 8th, 2003, 08:55 AM
Does he have watery eyes?Maybe it has something to do with the heat being on.The dust may be coming throught the vents.It's good that you have the cool mist going.Is he eating ok?So he's sleeping alot.Is he still playful?If this continues I would suggest taking him to the vets.Just to rule anything serious out.Sorry id I don't get right back to you.My computer is not liking me.It keeps shutting down and a friend is coming to look at it.I'm interested on how Lionel is doing.

msrent
December 8th, 2003, 12:20 PM
Hi! I called his doctor today when I got home! His eyes are not watery, and he is playful. He isn't as playful as he usually is but he is still playful. He seems a little larthegic, not his usual playful self. The heat just came on and I thought about last year we had the same problem. The doctor is supposed to call me back today. The doctor also said we might try switching his food because he might have a food allergry. I stopped using my hand lotion because I thought that might be an issue with it too. What do you think?

msrent
December 8th, 2003, 06:21 PM
Hi! My doctor just called! :) Well, he said he could go two different ways. First is using Perdnizone...an allergy medicane like one tablet every day for 4 days...then next was chaning the food to a food that cats eat with allergies...So I am gonna go to the vet tomorrow to pick up the medicane and food...How much do you think the food is going to run me? Do you think I should try the medicane first without the changing his food too? The doctor seemed not to mind doing both at the same time...but I am worried about money and if it is good for him to do both....what do you think? Also, I feel bad...my friends seem so annoyed I am making such a fuss over this...I called my best friend to tell her about what the doctor said and she was busy...I don't know I guess I felt like she blew me off...anyway thats what is going on...

mona_b
December 8th, 2003, 07:49 PM
Well what I would do is try the medication first.See how that goes.And considering that this just started.It just may be nothing to serious.You said you think this happened last year when the heat came on.And it is happening again now that the heat is on.So maybe it's just all the dust coming out of the vents.So just try the medicine for a while and see what happenes.But just keep an eye on Lionel when you give it to him.Sometimes cats will have a reaction to some medication.And please don't feel bad.Lionel is part of the family.And there is nothing wrong with worrying about him.I would be upset if you weren't.As for your friends,I guess they don't have pets.But if they do I guess they don't think much of them.I tell my friends what goes on with my animals.And I have never been brushed off.So please let me know what happens with Lionel ok.Also,i have posted a pic of my kitten Casper.And if you go into the German Shepherd one,I have posted 2 pics of mine.

msrent
December 8th, 2003, 08:57 PM
Thanks so much! I am gonna pick up the stuff tomorrow! So I should try the medicane first huh? Should I tell the doctor that I want to try the medicane first? I was thinking of also looking for a doctor that is a little closer to my apartment. My vet takes me a half hour to get there...think I should? I feel so bad because his nose is red and it itches so much....he is so uncomfy...I cant wait to get this stuff tomorrow....

mona_b
December 8th, 2003, 09:26 PM
No problem.That's why we are on here.To help.Well try him on the meds first.And by all means,find a closer vet.And maybe he can get to the bottom of all this for Lionel.If he had an allergy to his food,he would be vometing.What does he eat?Is he eating good?Do you have a vet closer to you?Awwww poor kitty.Don't feel bad.It is nothing you have done.Like I said before,please keep an eye on him when you give the meds.some cats have reactions to some meds.Let me know ok.:)

msrent
December 8th, 2003, 09:41 PM
No, he doesnt vomit after he eats. He LOVES his food. He eats IAMS hairball control adult food. He eats a lot and is still eating even though he is sneezing. I dont know of a vet that is closer to me. Any suggestions of what I should look for when it comes to a vet? I was just thinking of getting a vet that is closer in case of emergencies....I feel so bad that he is sneezing so much....but he is still interested in things and alert...just is tired...man this is so hard!!!! I will keep a close eye on him when he takes his meds...I cant believe how hard this is...

Murph's Mom
December 8th, 2003, 09:55 PM
msrent....take a deep breath and...BREATHE. There doesn't that feel better? You shouldn't feel bad. You obviously care about your kitty very much and I bet he knows it too!! Just keep giving him lots of love and trying to help him out as best you can, as you are, and everything will work out! :D

msrent
December 8th, 2003, 10:06 PM
Thanks! I am gonna get to bed now! I am just glad that I called the doctor and he will have some medicane tomorrow. Thanks again for all of your help! Any suggestions of what I should ask a new vet? Thanks again!

mona_b
December 8th, 2003, 10:12 PM
As Murph's Mom said,take a deep breath.Well he is eating and not vomiting so that is a great sign.Hmmmm that's a tough question about what to look for in a vet.All I can say is a good vet will take the time to look over your pet.And explain what he is doing as he is doing it.And will ask questions.And answer your questions without hesitation.I know this is hard.He is your baby.Have you tried the phone book to see if there are any vets in your area?If so,give them a call.Please don't run yourself ragged,he will be fine.He is still his usual self which is great.keep me posted.

msrent
December 9th, 2003, 07:20 PM
Hi! I got the medication today! He has Predizone for his allergies and I got new food too. I gave him his medicane and will begin the change for the food tonight. Is it weird that I think I see a difference in the sneezing already? I gave him his pill inside the IAMS canned food and he ate it like a champ. I also got a new filter for my humidfier. I can tell you I think I see a little difference. Is that weird? He just seems to be a little more alert, you know? How should I handle the changing of the food? I was told a very little of the new food and most of the old. Then gradually keep giving the new food. right? Thanks again for all of your help!

mona_b
December 10th, 2003, 08:48 AM
Wow that's great to hear that you are noticing a change.And no it's not weird at all.I know that when I start to get a cold,like the other day.I take tylonal cold and flu and within 2 hours I start to feel better.Mind you I still continue to take it till i'm 100% better.And yes,that is exactly how to introduce him to the new food.I am so very happy to hear that Lionel is getting better.See,it had nothing to do with you.I guess you feel good about his progress.Give Lionel a hug and kiss from his Aunti Mona:) ..And keep me posted ok.

Your very welcome.

msrent
December 10th, 2003, 07:09 PM
Thanks! Yeah, he isn't itching his nose every two seconds like he was before. He still shkaes his head but it isn't as often and he is a little more playful. He needs to take his medicane every other day until it is gone. I also changed the filter on the humidfier. I think that helped too. But I do think it was the medicane more then the filter. He seems to really like his food. I just added a little and he seemed to eat it. He didn't throw it up at all. :) So far so good! I'm so happy he is finally acting mroe like himself! I was so scared! I gave him a hug and a kiss from his Auntie MOna. :) I will keep you updated.

mona_b
December 11th, 2003, 08:30 AM
I'm sooo glad to hear.I can understand you being scared.That's natural from someone who loves their cat.He will be all better in no time.Yes please keep me posted.His Auntie Mona is thinking of him.And you too.:)

msrent
December 12th, 2003, 04:16 PM
Thanks! Lionel seems to be on the road to feeling better! He is acting more and more better! A friend of mine called and asked if I wanted to get a friend for him...it hasnt been something I was thinking about...is that a good idea? How would I introduce them if this happens? He is so laid back I was thinking he might like a friend toi play with...Lionel is 2 and this one was a year....what do you think?

mona_b
December 12th, 2003, 07:31 PM
Hmmmm another kitty.
Sure that sounds good.Now please don't take this the wrong way ok.Can you afford to take on another one?Is there any way you can have the other cat come for a visit?Just to see how Lionel would react.If so,what I would do is have the other cat in a cat carrier.Put the cat carrier on the floor.And let Lionel sniff around and see how he reacts.Is the other one a male or female?Is it fixed?Is Lionel fixed?If there doesn't seem to be any aggression in Lionel,or the other one,then and only then would I let the other cat out of the carrier.

And I am so happy to hear that he is better.