Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Goodbye, RED RANGER

Schwinn
March 28th, 2006, 09:33 PM
It's over. The end of an era. On Saturday morning, I returned the RED RANGER to the dealership, as the lease is over. It was decided that we needed something that we could all ride in. It was a sad occasion. I've had quite a few vehicles, and a couple of sports cars. Always thought I'd be a "sports car" guy. Then I entered the world of the truck.

A sports car is like a mistress. You are constantly maintaning it, keeping it happy to continue to enjoy the relationship. But a truck...a truck is like a buddy...it's always there for you.

Schwinn
March 28th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Good bye, my friend. We had some good times. We hung out, had some laughs. Everywhere I went, there you were.

Remember the time we took Mrs. Schwinn for a drive, down the unplowed roads in the winter? "This is how those rally guys do it!" I'll bet you still have her finger grips on your "holy crap" bar from power sliding through the curves, pointing east, yet moving south.

Good times...good times...

iRONKNiGHT
March 28th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Hahaha hey Schwinn.. long time no see :) well i guess you're going to get a family van now huh? :) ...as for me i'll Truck Forever :) yeah baby!!
ohh i got a Mazda b4000... you know a truck that looks like a Truck!

Writing4Fun
March 28th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Oh, no! That actually brought tears to my eyes! :( The sacrifices we make for our families, huh Schwinn? :grouphug:

So, what did you get in exchange? Please tell me it isn't the dreaded minivan! Have you seen the new Toyota FJ Cruiser? LOL! My husband wants one so badly, I'm telling everyone about them in hopes someone picks one up so I can tell him, "Hey, I know a guy who has one" just to watch him turn green. :evil:

Schwinn
March 28th, 2006, 09:42 PM
How about that night, driving home through the snow storm, snow up over the bumper as we went. How many cars did we stop for in the ditch? But not you, you kept the rubber side down and plowed up the highway. Then there's the guys in the Honda...how lost would they have been without you, had you not led them out of the snow drifts and down the highway?

You suffered some damage that night, my friend, but we did good work...

Schwinn
March 28th, 2006, 09:46 PM
(hold on, there's more;) )

I'm going to miss you, my big little truck. I always knew when you grew up, you wanted to be an F-150.

In my heart, you'll always be the big truck you aspired to.

Writing4Fun
March 28th, 2006, 09:50 PM
http://www.discodelic.netfirms.com/sad-cry5.gif

Schwinn
March 28th, 2006, 09:52 PM
I know you understand that we grew apart, we have different needs. But it doesn't lessen the sting. Oh sure, the new one is nice and all, but it isn't the RED RANGER!

The dealership asked, "what is it you would like to have?"

"A 2003 Ranger".

There'll be others, but you'll always have a special place in my heart.

Schwinn
March 28th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Okay, I'm vaklempt!

So to lighten the mood, here's the reason for the end of an era...

Schwinn
March 28th, 2006, 10:08 PM
So, what did you get in exchange? Please tell me it isn't the dreaded minivan! Have you seen the new Toyota FJ Cruiser? LOL! My husband wants one so badly, I'm telling everyone about them in hopes someone picks one up so I can tell him, "Hey, I know a guy who has one" just to watch him turn green. :evil:

NO! NEVER the mini-van! We decided on a 2002 Mazda Tribute ES. All the toys, leather, etc. And I can throw the bike gear in it. We decided to go used and have some extra income while I'm on paternity leave. It's actually quite nice, and I'm sure I'll really enjoy it once my left knee stops aching from mashing the non-existant clutch (this is my first ever automatic in 9 cars). Then when I finally become a cop and start earning my keep, I'll be able to get what I really want.

I did push for the RX-8. I mean, it is 4 doors and all...Mrs Schwinn didn't go for it, though.

Mrs Schwinn has the Mazda5, or NAV as I call it (For not-a-van. It's a station wagon with sliding doors!). She really likes it, and it handles great.

Okay, I'm feeling sad again. I need to go in the garage where I still have the tonneau cover from the RED RANGER...give it a hug...er, I mean, get it ready to put in the classifieds.

*sniff*

Prin
March 28th, 2006, 10:26 PM
I'd have gotten a Subaru legacy wagon... They're roomy and fun to drive.:thumbs up

Poor Schwinn.

twodogsandacat
March 28th, 2006, 11:04 PM
Have you seen the new Toyota FJ Cruiser? LOL! My husband wants one so badly, I'm telling everyone about them in hopes someone picks one up so I can tell him, "Hey, I know a guy who has one" just to watch him turn green. :evil:

Yea baby the Land Cruiser is back....why did it ever go away???

Although I love the gas mileage (kilometerage ???) with the Echo Hatchback I am drawn to that beast when ever I see one (I'm currently stalking Toyota dealerships on a regular basis). I am in love with that truck. The price isn’t all that bad either.

Maybe at my next dealer oil change (about a month a way) I may take it out......but that will just make it worse won't it?

Darn: How do you fix an error in your message title. It just resubmits a new link.

Prin
March 28th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Yeah, one of my (secret) dream cars that I'll never have is a 1976 land cruiser. One day. But I'll have to convert it somehow so it runs on something other than gas.:D

BTW, to fix the title, can't you just to 'edit' then "go advanced" and fix it?

SunGurl372
March 29th, 2006, 12:04 AM
OMG...am I ever feeling your pain right about now.

I just traded in my perfect, beautiful, barely a scratch on it, '03 Toyota Tundra for a '06 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab. It's a nice truck, BUT....sniff, I miss my baby.

Alas, family life mandates that something with a full four doors is SOOO much more practical right now....

Prin
March 29th, 2006, 12:44 AM
oh you poor people. Hey anybody want to trade my 1997 acura 1.6 EL with 230 000 kms on it up for something new? Anybody? I want to have these problems, too. :D :evil:

(hey, I have to be kidding, right? I mean I posted the same thread about my dog's friggin' futon last week. Only we didn't replace it. My how we get attached to stuff...:o)

BMDLuver
March 29th, 2006, 05:16 AM
awwww Schwinn, I feel your pain... when baby number 2 was on the way... we sadly said goodbye to my Jeep. It was heart wrenching as it was the end of my "fun car" era.. the only consolation was a good friend bought it and I get to see it occasionnally when I head back to Ontario..

We said hello to a minivan... my dog, what were we thinking! :eek:

Writing4Fun
March 29th, 2006, 07:54 AM
OK, Schwinn, as much as I love trucks, I have to say that the baby is waaaay cuter than the RED RANGER. :D What a sweetheart! :love: That's a great pic of the two of you.

Well, thank goodness you didn't get the mini-van. :yuck: I spent three years in one - never again! The Mazda's nice too, though.

Wanna cure that clutch envy? Get a motorcycle. ;)

Luvmypit
March 29th, 2006, 03:29 PM
hi Schwinn!!! We missed you!!

As for the red ranger, I didnt even have to see who started the thread that is how well we all know your red ranger! It will be sadly missed.

But you offered a very nice tribute to a good friend whos always been there. :)

Writing4Fun
March 29th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Yeah, one of my (secret) dream cars that I'll never have is a 1976 land cruiser. One day. But I'll have to convert it somehow so it runs on something other than gas.:D
Here ya go (http://jacksonsbarrie.toyota.ca/dwp/experience/en/home/po_display.jsp?index=13), Prin! She's not a '76, but I think she'll do. ;) They don't have a pic of her on the website, but I saw her in person. She's mint. Apparently, she's imported from somewhere like Japan or China (forget which), where they're only allowed to drive these things on week-ends because of emission control laws. She's a right-hand drive - don't know if I could ever get used to that. Hubby was seriously tempted. Wanna take her for a test drive? :D

ETA: Here's a pic (http://4wheeldrive.about.com/library/uc/uc_Beagle.htm) of another 1990 right-hand drive Land Cruiser, just for reference. ;)

chico2
March 29th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Schwinn,nice to see you back,my the little one is growing,am I mistaken in saying she looks just like dad:confused:
As for getting attached to a car,I loved my little Camero Berlinetta small V8sooo much,I cried when hubby drove it to the dealer as a trade in:sad:
Right now we are looking to buy ONE car,probably another SUV,trading the 2000 Volvo and 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I'll again cry when the Jeep leaves the drive-way,LOVE it!!

jesse's mommy
March 29th, 2006, 03:55 PM
I just have to say this is the funniest thread.

Schwinn, I'm really sorry for your loss. You will be reunited one day...

Prin
March 29th, 2006, 04:35 PM
W4F here's one from Ebay...1976.. Only $7700... so far with a couple of hours to go...
There was one last week that was fully restored. It was amazing. AMAZING.

mummummum
March 29th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Sigh...you've brought back such memories. When I had to "FACE ADULTHOOD" (yuch, piteewwy,blech...) I sold my copper cherry red (an actual colour -deep sigh) Triumph Spitfire convertible. Very deep sigh. You'll get over it Schwinn....In time....Maybe.
I bought a wicked, chromed-up Jeep, that helped eased the pain a little. But I still pull out the old pictures every so often...

AliSam
March 29th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Sorry for your loss Schwinn. I know the feeling. But hey, those Tribbys are sweet too. I should know, I have a 2001.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/AliSam/Cars/Tribby.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/AliSam/Cars/Picture023.jpg

jesse's mommy
March 29th, 2006, 09:30 PM
That's so funny. I had those two exact Eeyores hanging from my rear view mirrors too for years, but ended up misplacing them when I changed cars! Eeyore is my favorite!

AliSam
March 29th, 2006, 09:39 PM
I love Eeyore too. He is the best. This is actually the only Message Board I am on that I don't have Eeyore's picture or a quote somewhere in my sig or avatar (actually he is mentioned in my profile though tee hee). Right now, the Eeyore on the bottom (the one with the tail) is still in my truck with a rubber Eeyore keychain. There is also an Eeyore in one of my storage slots. The other hanging one, (the head) is in my Honda now with another rubber Eeyore keychain. There is also an Eeyore sitting on the dash of the Honda. I had to spread the cuteness around and besides, my hubby hates him so all the more reason. Behind the Eeyores are my new tacky flower leis. A blue one in the Honda and a pink one in the truck. I also have little Eeyore stickers on the bottom corner of both rearview mirrors.

Ya, you could say I am nuts about Eeyore. I have a humungous collection of Eeyore stuff. I have lost count of them all. Sam is lucky he wasn't called Eeyore. j/k.

Prin
March 29th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Eeyore is so sad. And nobody cares. Poor Eeyore.

Schwinn
March 30th, 2006, 09:58 AM
We looked at a few things, including Subaru's. They were either too expensive, or too old. I think Mrs. Schwinn's biggest objection was I insist on pronouncing it Soo-ba-rooo.

It's a long and drawn out story, but I basically told Mrs. Schwinn to get whatever she thought we could afford. I got an e-mail at work saying I bought a new car, and attached to it was a picture of a 1991 Suzuki Swift with 280 000 km. Isn't she funny?

I went in to Mazda on Saturday to sign the paperwork, and it was kind of wierd to be handed my ownership before I had been in the car (apparently it is one I saw 2 months ago that I said would be okay). Mrs. Schwinn was worried I didn't like it, but I told her my favourite part was when I looked in the back seat, and realized it was "Gracie-equipped".

So far, I'm enjoying it. I'm starting to get used to not having a clutch. And it does have neat toys. I'd also forgotten how freakin' cold the first few minutes leather seats are!

I haven't done much to personalize it. It seems to "high class" to put all my bike stickers on it. I've ordered the bug shield, window vents and K&N filter. I'm thinking of a bush guard with the spot-lights for the navigational rallies I'm hoping to do. Maybe a Sponge-Bob air freshener to get rid of the shampoo smell.

Mrs Schwinn bought an old Jeep a few years ago for a toy when we lived in Wasaga. It soon turned out to have rust issues, so I told her to keep it, since she won't get nearly what she paid for it. That's going to be my project car.

Oh, and the FJ Cruiser? I really liked it, but it was out of the price range. As was the Subaru WRX Sti.

But thank you for your warm thoughts during this difficult time...:D

jjgeonerd
March 30th, 2006, 10:43 AM
W4F here's one from Ebay...1976.. Only $7700... so far with a couple of hours to go...
There was one last week that was fully restored. It was amazing. AMAZING.

Old Cruisers are awesome! A couple of my friends have restored ones...all with Chevy 350 engines and 35" tires (they're set-up for off-roading...mainly on the Rubicon in Tahoe). Not tpp practical, but really cool.

I want one of the new ones...no real need though. :sad:

Bearsmom
March 31st, 2006, 01:55 PM
Our new Chevy Tahoe has leather seats, it's like sittin on a loaf of frozen bread....till hubby pointed out the seats have HEATERS (can you imagine????)

RIP to the Red Ranger, much loved, and much missed, I'm sure.

And don't worry, someday your Tribute will grow up to be a real SUV :p :D :p :D (Gawd, I'm funny today)

Jackie467
March 31st, 2006, 02:22 PM
Poor shwinn, but I think I'd rather have the baby than the truck lol. She is such a cutie.

My mother has a mazda RX8. We actully both hate it. it is waaaaaay to clostraphobic feeling in the driver's seat. I feel like the whole car is trying to crush me! And I'm not that big of a woman, I couldn't imagine an avarage sized man driving it! She did have a Mazda 6 but she got bored with it. I loved that car, it was so great looking and it was so comfy.

I personally love my car and I don't ever want to get rid of it. I have a 2002 Murcury Cougar RX. I am so in love with my car.