Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

veggies and fruits for dogs

Hugh
March 28th, 2006, 04:43 PM
I am a quasi vegetarian and would like to know which vegetables (and fruits) can be fed regularly and safely to a dog. Right now I need to rid my dog of roundworms ASAP, the vets have said the one pill per month I give the dog is enough. I don't think this will do actually. I have only seen a handful of dead worms in the dog stool after medication.

I am taking garlic and figs every morning to help prevent a possible transmission
of the roundworms. Can I give 1 garlic clove to my dog in the morning as well ? I read garlic is OK for dogs but would like confirmation . What about figs?

Also some people have told me to feed asparagus to the dog in case of ingestion of glass or sharp objects , I know about the cotton balls. Problem is most of the toime I SUSPECT ingestion and have no certainty the puppy swallowed pieces of stuff I removed from her mouth. So if asparagus is safe I 'd rather give that than cotton balls. But I read asparagus fern is toxic and regular asparagus causes kidney stones(calcium oxalate crystals if I recall )if taken in large quantities. So what to do if I suspect the puppy swallowed glass, thorns which she likes to pick up, or pins and nails without being sure she actually did?

Prin
March 28th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Here are a couple of threads about this (good and bad foods) from last week:
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=25163&highlight=chocolate
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=24972&highlight=fruits

OntarioGreys
March 28th, 2006, 08:04 PM
So what to do if I suspect the puppy swallowed glass, thorns which she likes to pick up, or pins and nails without being sure she actually did?


Think of your puppy as a human toddler, with a child in your home you childproof, you remove all hazards that may be in their reach chemicals and breakable and small items that could be swallowed are removed from of their play areas plus you supervise, when unable to supervise you put them in a playpen ifd the area cannot be totally baby proofed, we would never allow a toddler outside on their own, also one tries to make the yard as safe as possible, by cleaning the yard of hazardous objects, if their is a solid object that can't be moved like a pool that creates a danger we fence around it, w, if you have highly dangerous areas just outside you home boundaries like a busy roadway or bush, lake or swamp where a child quickly wander into if you become distracted for a minute you put up a fence to protect the child from wandering, having a young inquistive puppy is no different, it is up to you as their guardian limit their risks of getting into danger, by making sure their enviroment is a safe as possible, accidents can happen. A bit of cotton dipped in milk can be given in the event they swallow something sharp as the fibers wrap around the object, bread is also suggested, but it still mean a trip to a vet is inorder. But these not meant as a preventatives. The only preventative is making your pup has a safe enviroment and very close supervision in areas that are outside your control.

Prin
March 28th, 2006, 08:08 PM
If you suspect a sharp object, definitely get an x-ray to be sure. If it happens often, you might have to learn to keep a better eye on the dog.

rainbow
March 29th, 2006, 02:22 PM
I totally agree with OntarioGreys. "Puppyproof" exactly the same way as you would "childproof"....there is no difference.

If you`re going to give garlic to your dog, the amount would have to be according to its size which is discussed in another thread on this forum.:pawprint: