Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat urinating on clothes, linens (not ill)

inbloom
March 28th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Hello everyone,
I'm very happy to have found this forum. We have an odd urination problem that I can't explain. I worked as a Vet Tech for years and am no expert, but none of the "usuals" seem to fit with our cat.

We have 5 cats of all ages who are step-brothers and sisters to each other ;) My husband had 2 cats before, I had 2, and we adopted a kitten recently.

I know what you're thinking, but his cat, Pupi, has apparently ALWAYS done this. It didn't start after I moved in with my cats. He's about 10 years old and my husband says this has been going on for a long time. (he is a Persian) He, seeming randomly, will pee on clothes, bags or beds. It happens once every few months, but there will be bouts where we'll find a few incidents in a week or two. He will get in a hamper and pee, pee on clothes on the floor, pee on a bed or a bag on the floor, and recently, he got up on the dining room table to pee on clothes! (as far as I know, he has NEVER peed on the floor)

He's been neutered since he was a kitten, and his "sister" is an approx. 8 year old spayed female. My two cats are both spayed females, approx. 6 & 7 yrs old. We also have a 6 month old neutered male kitten. Pupi gets along with everyone (in fact everyone gets along except there are problems between his "sister", Putu, and my 7 year old female, Punkin.) *btw, none of these cats are biologically related*

*btw, they are all indoor only cats, although Pupi USED to be allowed to go outside years ago, before I was in the picture*

We have tried different things with the litter because we thought Pupi started peeing more after we tried new things since we have so many cats. We tried the self-cleaning one, that was a no-go. We used that AND a regular pan with no lid and he seemed ok just using the regular one. We tried a Booda dome, he didn't like that. We tried big pans with lids (I REALLY like a cover), he doesn't seem to like that. Since Putu hangs over the edge of most pans and "misses", we are now using a large tub with higher sides. In the past, we noticed more peeing with the strange boxes, but with pans with no lid, it seems totally random.

If it happened before I moved in with my cats, and no matter what kind of box we use, and no matter that we clean it every day, and it's not his age cause it's always occured. What could this be from? Do you think it's possible that he just purely "likes it" and nothing more?

We now have to keep all the bedroom doors closed during the day, and the other babies don't get to sleep on the bed like they always have, and they don't like that too much. We can't use the table to fold clothes anymore. it's just really a neausance!

And I'm really worried about how he'll react when our baby arrives in October! We're also moving in April to a place that is about 700 sq. feet smaller, and I'm sure he won't appreciate that either.

Sorry this got so long, I wanted to cover the bases so nobody wasted their time explaining things that I could have ruled out. Thanks a bunch in advance for any advice!

btw, Pupi hasn't been to the vet since I moved in, a year and a half ago, so he's going to be going any day now and I'll bring it up ... but my husband says the vets haven't really had a good answer in the past. Hmmm

THANKS!!!!

Kelly

Rottielover
March 28th, 2006, 11:23 AM
rule out an UTI, certainly sounds like one

inbloom
March 28th, 2006, 11:57 AM
rule out an UTI, certainly sounds like one

Thanks for your response. We'll do that, but apparently he has ALWAYS done this. It can't possibly be a UTI he's had most of his life?

jawert1
March 28th, 2006, 12:12 PM
In conjunction with the UTI testing, have the vet do a test for the presence of crystals in his urine. A cat with crystal issues may be prone to just picking a spot and going. Also, how many litter pans do you have in the house? I'm presuming you've got multiples, but if not, maybe adding more will give him more "options" that are to your liking.

jessi76
March 28th, 2006, 12:15 PM
how many litter boxes do you have available to your cats? I ask this because generally it's best to have 1 box per cat. Also, where are the boxes located?

I would DEFINATELY rule out a UTI, but if all comes back clear, then it may just be a litter box issue. Pupi may need (and want) his OWN.

inbloom
March 28th, 2006, 12:55 PM
how many litter boxes do you have available to your cats? I ask this because generally it's best to have 1 box per cat. Also, where are the boxes located?

I would DEFINATELY rule out a UTI, but if all comes back clear, then it may just be a litter box issue. Pupi may need (and want) his OWN.

LOL, his OWN? Just like the kitten food is JUST for the kitten? :P Well, we've had multiple boxes before, and ALWAYS, they all pick a favorite and the other one doesn't get used. Once we brought back the open pan for Pupi, nobody used the Booda dome anymore and we took it away. We just have one LARGE pan now, it's not even a real litter box, it's a plastic box much bigger than normal litter boxes. They just don't take advantage of the multiples and they all just use the same one, the easiest one that doesn't have a lid, or other devices. This one seems the best so far because it has higher sides so Putu doesn't poop off the edge, but it has no lid, ramp, cleaning device or anything else Pupi doesn't like. We're moving to a smallish two bedroom apartment in April and there's just not going to be room for more than one box, we don't even know where to put the first one. We keep it very clean though.

What do y'all think?

inbloom
March 28th, 2006, 01:00 PM

OMG, I'm just imagining 5 boxes *faint*:eek: :yuck:

Does everyone really do a box per cat? We don't even get a toilet per person :D

jessi76
March 28th, 2006, 01:09 PM
OMG, I'm just imagining 5 boxes *faint*:eek: :yuck:

Does everyone really do a box per cat?

hence the exact reason I do NOT have 5 cats. I do however have 2, and yes, I do have 2 litter-boxes. not once have I ever had a problem.

some cats are great at sharing - and alot of people don't find it necessary for mulitple boxes, BUT if you're cat has been doing this for so long, I'd get him his very own box, in his own area. You may not need 5 boxes, start with one just for Pupi and see if things improve.

(obviously, continue to rule out any medical reasons)

Lucky Rescue
March 28th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Does everyone really do a box per cat? We don't even get a toilet per person

That's very true, but the difference is that if you want to use the bathroom and someone else is in there, you won't go and pee on the floor will you?
LOLOL!!!!:p

Anyway, this isn't the first time I"ve heard of Persians with litterbox problems. Seems to be a breed thing.

But a mature male neutered cat who eats dry food(?) could certainly have crystals in his urine that may cause discomfort. I would get that checked just in case.

inbloom
March 28th, 2006, 01:33 PM
That's very true, but the difference is that if you want to use the bathroom and someone else is in there, you won't go and pee on the floor will you?
LOLOL!!!!:p

Anyway, this isn't the first time I"ve heard of Persians with litterbox problems. Seems to be a breed thing.

But a mature male neutered cat who eats dry food(?) could certainly have crystals in his urine that may cause discomfort. I would get that checked just in case.

Hmm, that's interesting about the Persians. I'll try anything but he did do this before there were multiple cats, even when he was the only one. It's like "his thing". He did do it more often when we had enclosed boxes, but once we offered him the open kind, the peeing was less often but still happened. And we have had two boxes before and they just don't use the other one ... we have them in the garage, we could bring them back in, but we put them out there cause nobody was using them. Not sure how to give Pupi his own, when they all seem to just use the same one regardless. Darn cats!

He does eat dry food only ... I'll go ahead and make a vet appt. soon. My husband wasn't real good with doing it yearly but I'd like to get them all in (can you say $$$$$?)

I admit 5 is a bit much ... we thought 4 was too much but we already each had two so there was no getting around it. We're not going to give away our children or anything like that. Then I wanted to foster Katrina cats because that just broke my heart. We went to Petsmart and there was a stray kitten that needed fostering until they could get it ready for adoption (not Katrina). We signed up to foster ... went to the grocery store ... and never made it home, we went back and adopted the little squirt. I told my husband, I have to have someone who will tell me "NO" to bringing in cats.

Luckily we aren't having a problem where he's just peeing all over the place, I hope we never have to deal with that. It almost seems like he just LIKES to pee on clothes. If he's done it, my husband knows before he finds it because when he walks in, Pupi runs under the couch. I've never understood why if he can control it, and he obviously can, and he knows he's going to get in trouble, why does he do it? It's just so strange.

LianneCatherine
March 28th, 2006, 01:33 PM
When I had my old cat, I would put my laundry in the basement, sort it out, and go upstairs. Nearly EVERY time I left the clothes on the floor, the cats (sister's cat too) would pee on them.

Something about cats and clothes, or maybe just SOME cats and clothes....they just really like to pee on them. I'm not sure about the other places she has been going, but I do know that if there were no clothes on the floor, the kitties would go in their boxes.

I would definitely consider getting multiple boxes, though like others have mentioned, it might not help. Whatever you do, make sure you allow enough time for kitties to get adjusted to any change (number of boxes, litter type, placement, privacy, etc.) before you give up.

You could also try watching her (like you would a dog) and try to coax her to the box if she looks like she wants to go. Treats and praise for kitties work well like they do for doggies! Good luck!! :o

jessi76
March 28th, 2006, 01:48 PM
I admit 5 is a bit much ...

I think it's wonderful you have 5 kitties! (I would too, IF I had a larger home, more room for litter-box areas, and my bf actually lifted a finger to clean a box) If I had 5, it'd mean that I'd be the one scooping all the boxes daily. with umpteen million things to get done daily, scooping more than 2 boxes doesn't fit on my list.

good luck, and do keep us posted (and pic's too, we love pics!)

inbloom
March 28th, 2006, 01:55 PM
I think it's wonderful you have 5 kitties! (I would too, IF I had a larger home, more room for litter-box areas, and my bf actually lifted a finger to clean a box) If I had 5, it'd mean that I'd be the one scooping all the boxes daily. with umpteen million things to get done daily, scooping more than 2 boxes doesn't fit on my list.

good luck, and do keep us posted (and pic's too, we love pics!)

Thanks :) I love my babies, but the daily vacuuming (Roomba helped til he died), puke presents, litter everywhere and hair on everything is a pain! lol I know what you mean, my husband used to be the kind that never scooped his litter, he'd just wait til it was so full they wouldn't go. EW. Scooping the litter is DEFINITELY my job. But then I got pregnant and he's doing very well, I just have to remind him every day to do it ... and constnatly say "do you smell that?" ... he's learning :)

We have as many pics of our cats as most people do of their children. Lots of them are here www.flickr.com/photos/inbloom. They are of course, the cutest cats ever :p

inbloom
March 28th, 2006, 01:57 PM
When I had my old cat, I would put my laundry in the basement, sort it out, and go upstairs. Nearly EVERY time I left the clothes on the floor, the cats (sister's cat too) would pee on them.

Something about cats and clothes, or maybe just SOME cats and clothes....they just really like to pee on them. I'm not sure about the other places she has been going, but I do know that if there were no clothes on the floor, the kitties would go in their boxes.

I would definitely consider getting multiple boxes, though like others have mentioned, it might not help. Whatever you do, make sure you allow enough time for kitties to get adjusted to any change (number of boxes, litter type, placement, privacy, etc.) before you give up.

You could also try watching her (like you would a dog) and try to coax her to the box if she looks like she wants to go. Treats and praise for kitties work well like they do for doggies! Good luck!! :o

Ohhh he is too good for that. He has NEVER done this when we're around. He totally has control of his bladder, it's just like once a month or every few months, he leaves us a surprise when we aren't around. He totally knows how not to get caught.

You know what's also odd - his urine has a very distinct smell. It doesn't smell like infection to me, but it's always very obvious when it's a Pupi pee. Wonder what that could mean. Yeah, time to make a vet appt.

jessi76
March 28th, 2006, 02:05 PM
omg! so many pics! thanks for sharing the link... beautiful family!

LianneCatherine
March 28th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Ohhh he is too good for that. He has NEVER done this when we're around. He totally has control of his bladder, it's just like once a month or every few months, he leaves us a surprise when we aren't around. He totally knows how not to get caught.

You know what's also odd - his urine has a very distinct smell. It doesn't smell like infection to me, but it's always very obvious when it's a Pupi pee. Wonder what that could mean. Yeah, time to make a vet appt.

Oh I never saw mine do it either - they are very sneaky, aren't they? They would only do it when we left the room, and only if there was a pile of clothes on the floor. Maybe they were just not-so-subtly telling us to pick the clothes up off the floor? LOL! Maybe they thought we were too messy! :D

inbloom
March 28th, 2006, 02:18 PM
omg! so many pics! thanks for sharing the link... beautiful family!

Thank you! Yes, we were like a new mom and dad with the kitten. I have more pics of my cats then my mom does of my brother and I when we were little lol

Lucky Rescue
March 28th, 2006, 02:44 PM
I could be completely wrong, but I think one reason Persians have more pee problems is due to the long fur. It gets easily soiled with pee and feces and this is distasteful to most cats. Therefore they may avoid a litterbox that is not clean enough or big enough.

You might try clipping all the fur around his hind end, to make it easier for him to clean himself, and see if that may help.

CyberKitten
March 28th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Cute pix and kitties!! I too agree wholeheartedly re multiple boxes - the rule of thumb - as I have always been taught and always followed mu whole life - was one box per cat plus one. I have 3 cats so we have 5 boxes. I had one cat and then two more were fosters that became permanent so they arrived with their three. I have a fairly large home tho and the 2 Spjybx Girls have their own room and my meezer baby sleeps with me. So there are litter bixes in a bathroom upstairs and one in the basement and the others in discreet locales - laundry room, privacy and all that.

I would check for crytals for sure - it could be some food she is eating. Some cats can get away with it dfor years (like us with junk food) and then it ctaches up on them and they end up with painful urination so like to "go" on soft things rather than any litter bix which they assocaite with the pain.

Anyway - just my thoughts. I assume you will have her checked out and I hope it is nothing more serious and she can be helped!!

inbloom
March 28th, 2006, 03:19 PM
I could be completely wrong, but I think one reason Persians have more pee problems is due to the long fur. It gets easily soiled with pee and feces and this is distasteful to most cats. Therefore they may avoid a litterbox that is not clean enough or big enough.

You might try clipping all the fur around his hind end, to make it easier for him to clean himself, and see if that may help.

Good idea. He is a big ball of fur and hates to get brushed.

.unknown.
March 28th, 2006, 08:25 PM
My kitty has also done this before...

Anytime he has, it's been because his litter box wasn't spotless.

I dont blame his either... hehe i feel so bad, cuz i'll curse a bit then got downstairs and see his little box was a touch forgotten.

:sad:

Also, he's done it when i changed from the clumping litter to those crystals also....I also tried that newpaper one too, same thing

inbloom
March 29th, 2006, 10:59 AM
My kitty has also done this before...

Anytime he has, it's been because his litter box wasn't spotless.

I dont blame his either... hehe i feel so bad, cuz i'll curse a bit then got downstairs and see his little box was a touch forgotten.

:sad:

Also, he's done it when i changed from the clumping litter to those crystals also....I also tried that newpaper one too, same thing

LOL One time the silly man I married came home with this HUGE, like 99 lb. bag of litter, and was very proud of the deal he got. Well, it was the old school, non-clumping, clay litter. NOBODY liked that, and Pupi did revolt. We tried mixing it with clumping so as not to waste, and I'm glad that is all gone. We scoop it every day ... I'd prefer more often but I'm pregnant and can't scoop it, and he does it everyday and it really doesn't get too bad. I'd add another box, but we're packing to move, and there's just not going to be room in the new place, I don't think, but maybe I can convince hubby to clean it twice a day :confused: