Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

erratic behavior- Is she going into heat?

tashi
March 28th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Good morning everyone,

My eight month old Shih Tzu, Tashi, woke me up this morning around 6:00 a.m. acting very unusual. She is usually quite content in her cage, but today she demanded from very early in the morning to be let out and didn't have to go to the bathroom. She has been running around and panting a lot and making strange whimpering noises. Rolling around on the ground and doing that imaginary digging thing a whole lot. Trying to jump onto the kitchen counter from the sofa (which is physically impossible for her). We usually don't wake up until 11:00 a.m. Now she is curled up in a ball in the corner. When I call her she jumps up and acts really frisky. She isn't showing any signs of pain. Just acting a lot stranger than usual. Are these signs she may about to go in heat or could it be something else?

I'm about to call her vet in an hour when they open, but before I overreact I wanted to get a second opinion. This is the first pet I've ever taken care of by myself so maybe I'm being neurotic.

Anyway, thanks ahead of time for your help. Angela

jawert1
March 28th, 2006, 08:19 AM
I'm a firm believer that anytime your pet starts behaving beyond their normal patterns, especially if it sets warning bells off to you, it's time for a vet checkup. If this is related to a heat cycle, you may want to consider getting her spayed, this board in particular is VERY pro spay/neuter, so you'll likely get a lot more of those suggestions. Spaying a pup at this stage can stave off a host of future problems, such as cancer, pyometra and other unpleasant things along with behavioural issues. Give your vet a call and make an appointment, it can't hurt. Good luck and keep us posted :)

doggy lover
March 28th, 2006, 08:24 AM
I agree, if you belive your pet is acting strange take it to your vet. Also people on this site believe firmly in spay and neuter as there are enough unwanted pet in this world. Why not make an appointment to get this done while you are at the vet.

tashi
March 28th, 2006, 08:24 AM
I was planning on having her spayed but didn't make a date, I hope it isn't too late. The vets office will be open in about 30 minutes and I'll probably make an appointment. Thanks, your advice is exactly what I wanted to hear!

Angela

Rottielover
March 28th, 2006, 08:28 AM
If she was not only 8 months, I would have said that it sounds like she is in labour. Doing the nesting thing, just before birth. She has not been around any male dogs ????.

doggy lover
March 28th, 2006, 08:30 AM
Its never to late to get a pet spayed.

jawert1
March 28th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Good luck at the vet's, they'll assess her state (if she is indeed in heat) and then schedule for spaying around that. If she's not in heat, they'll prolly move a little quicker to get her done. Thanks for spaying her and thanks for being so aware of your furbaby and willing to take her in, there are some not as dilligent :)

tashi
March 28th, 2006, 10:19 AM
thanks everyone for your input, we made an appointment for April 3 to be spayed. The vet was puzzled about her behavior and said that it wasn't typical of dogs going into heat from her experience. There is no physical evidence that Tashi is in heat either.

She has calmed down a bit.

Has anyone else experienced erratic behavior from their dog before, not the usual silliness but out of the ordinary behavior?

tashi
March 28th, 2006, 10:24 AM
If she was not only 8 months, I would have said that it sounds like she is in labour. Doing the nesting thing, just before birth. She has not been around any male dogs ????.

No, she stays indoors and is my only pet right now.

jawert1
March 28th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Has anyone else experienced erratic behavior from their dog before, not the usual silliness but out of the ordinary behavior?

Yep, both of mine have gone through weird periods where their behaviour was just either strange or totally out of control. The last time happened when my Peach had an ear infection, she just didn't exhibit normal symptoms (head shaking, sensitivity, etc). If anything's the slightest bit out of the ordinary I take mine to the vet, but that's just me :)