Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What a great idea!

tashi
March 28th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Hello, I was looking for information about dogs going into heat and found this site. It never occured to me that there were online forums where you could talk about your pets! This is great! I just wanted to say hello and introduce me and my 8 month old Shih Tzu who is the light of my life, I know I sound crazy but she really is.

Anyway, maybe I won't post my question here formally, but I'll mention it because I'm not sure people will view it under the above title-

This morning, Tashi began to act very erratically. She is usually quite content in her cage, but today she demanded from very early in the morning to be let out and didn't have to go to the bathroom. She has been running around and panting a lot and making strange whimpering noises. Trying to jump onto the kitchen counter from the sofa (which is physically impossible for her). Now she is curled up in a ball in the corner. When I call her she jumps up and acts really frisky. She isn't showing any signs of pain. Just acting a lot stranger than usual. Are these signs she may about to go in heat or could it be something else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, otherwise I guess we'll be heading to the vet in about an hour when they open.
Thanks again, Angela

LavenderRott
March 28th, 2006, 09:17 AM
I would go to the vet. Any non-spayed female dog that I have ever had barely noticed being in heat. They might get a little crabby, but that is about it.

tashi
March 28th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the reply, she has calmed down now, but I'm still concerned. I'm going to have her spayed in a week. I'll just wait and see if it happens again.