Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anal gland!!!

angie79
March 28th, 2006, 07:09 AM
Back in january we had to take cooper for his anal gland, the tech told us if he started the same behaviour to bring him back.

Last night I smelt (the smell) and with in minutes he started licking and left some stinky liquid behind (of course we had washed the douvet cover earlier). but now he seems fine....

does anyone know if a dog can clean his own anal glands like that or does he need more removed?

Lise
March 28th, 2006, 08:26 AM
In most dogs the anal sacs empty themselves when the dog goes to the bathroom.They also occasionally empty when the dog is excited,during a bath(usually when you've just finished washing and rinsing,so you get to start over)or sometimes they just empty when they are full.Problems happen when the sacs become impacted,this can lead to infection.If he starts constantly licking or scooting have it checked by your vet.By the way they are not anal glands,they are sacs on either side of rectum that fill with fluid that is another way dogs mark territory etc.

angie79
March 28th, 2006, 08:54 AM
I am sorry I did not get my wording correctly.

Basically, I wanted to know if fluid is released is it usually 100% or 10% and will be a problem in 3 days. It is easier for me to take him to have it removed today if it is common that not all is released.

Prin
March 28th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Depends... But the vet can go in there and feel how much is left. (A good vet won't empty if it's not full enough- it's very irritating).

Lise
March 28th, 2006, 12:42 PM
The sacs do not have to empty completely.If the fluid is being expelled normally don't worry about it. Emptying them manually should not be done routinely,as that can cause irritation and infection.If it is not a problem today leave it.The sacs are constantly filling and being emptied.

angie79
March 28th, 2006, 06:41 PM
anyhow, i called the vet early this am and the receptionist said that the tech should take a look just in case.

sure enough the tech was actually surprised at how full they were:eek: , my poor little man..one tech asked if it was all done and the other said still one more to go!!!.

I think he was over flowing....:eek:

he has to go back next monday for his shots...

The tech said just like last time make an apt. if I see/smell...

anyways I bought him one of those little farting devils for being a good boy...

rainbow
March 29th, 2006, 02:53 PM
I`ve always heard that dogs with recurring anal gland infections should have the anal glands removed.

angie79
March 29th, 2006, 06:03 PM
oh not infected just some dogs appaerntly mostly small ones somtimes don't empty them selves