Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anatomy question....

Barb_n_Paul
March 28th, 2006, 05:59 AM
This might seem like a strange question to some..... but someone recently brought it to my attention that they "thought" that female dogs are supposed to have 8 nipples and he noted that My miniature dapple daschund only has 6! :eek:

LOL Please...... somebody enlighten me on this...... :rolleyes:

here is a picture of my puppy in the process of a "roll-over" trick
(Note: only 6 nipples) ?

jawert1
March 28th, 2006, 08:13 AM
My male pointer has 2 at the very top of his chest that are inverted, and barely visible unless you go digging for them. Your girl could be the same way, but she's a cutie nonetheless :)

angie79
March 28th, 2006, 08:15 AM
she is a cuties pie.... I'm sure just like some humans have 3 or 4 nipples exceptions come with pups as well....

Barb_n_Paul
March 28th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Thank you.... I did some "investigating" and found two more nipples at the top of her chest that were actually well hiddin in her hair. whew..... my concern here being we MAY take her to find a hubby eventually and breed them and have an extended family of miniature daschunds here..... and IF she had a larger liter, would she have enough "feeding stations". ;)

doggy lover
March 28th, 2006, 08:53 AM
What if she has a litter of 9 or more pups? Both of my dogs came from a littler of 9. If you are planning on breeding is your dog being shown, are you being mentored by a reliable breeder. Please do not go into breeding blind, many puppies die and you could lose your beautiful dog if you do not know what you are getting into. I know a ex-breeder and she was in it for many years before stopping due to her husband having a heart attack and she returned to work. But even she lost puppies and once a whole litter of Bulldogs, due to a vet error. We are very pro-spay and neuter at this site.

Barb_n_Paul
March 28th, 2006, 09:00 AM
What if she has a litter of 9 or more pups? Both of my dogs came from a littler of 9. If you are planning on breeding is your dog being shown, are you being mentored by a reliable breeder. Please do not go into breeding blind, many puppies die and you could lose your beautiful dog if you do not know what you are getting into. I know a ex-breeder and she was in it for many years before stopping due to her husband having a heart attack and she returned to work. But even she lost puppies and once a whole litter of Bulldogs, due to a vet error. We are very pro-spay and neuter at this site.

You bring up some VERY valid points........ points we have concidered. We love our baby dearly...... and do NOT wish to breed for money from the pups. I too am pro-spay and neuter. We definately plan to get baby a "mate" more for a playful companion and to extend our love to another puppy in need of a loving family. Having ONE liter is something we're concidering, but NOT definite. IF we wanted a third puppy, it may be wiser to allowe baby and her mate to go looking with us and adopt a child. ;)

I would be absolutely devestated if baby die giving birth to a puppy or puppies. :sad:

Lucky Rescue
March 28th, 2006, 09:38 AM
It sounds lovely - just put two dachshunds together and wait for a litter of adorable puppies.

However the reality is very different and no one without extensive breed and genetic knowledge should consider breeding, especially dogs that have extreme and unnatural physical characteristics, like doxies, Bulldogs etc.

Breeding the right way is very labor intensive and very expensive. Keeping a whole litter for yourself sounds cute, but remember males and females will grow up and may start to fight fiercely for dominance in the home.

Here is the minimum of what you must do if you are considering responsibly breeding dachshunds:
http://www.thedachshundnetwork.com/breeding.htm

Seeing as there are nearly 2,000 homeless doxies listed on Petfinder, it would be better to give one of them a home, rather than create more for no reason.:)

Barb_n_Paul
March 28th, 2006, 11:18 AM
It sounds lovely - just put two dachshunds together and wait for a litter of adorable puppies.

However the reality is very different and no one without extensive breed and genetic knowledge should consider breeding, especially dogs that have extreme and unnatural physical characteristics, like doxies, Bulldogs etc.

Breeding the right way is very labor intensive and very expensive. Keeping a whole litter for yourself sounds cute, but remember males and females will grow up and may start to fight fiercely for dominance in the home.

Here is the minimum of what you must do if you are considering responsibly breeding dachshunds:
http://www.thedachshundnetwork.com/breeding.htm

Seeing as there are nearly 2,000 homeless doxies listed on Petfinder, it would be better to give one of them a home, rather than create more for no reason.:)

You are absolutely correct...... why risk my baby's life to have her "own" liter because that's what I might want???

Is much wiser an idea to adopt a doxie in need of a good home. And a GREAT home it would have here with us. :love:

Baby is PERFECT just the way she is..... why mess with perfection? :D ;)