Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Any ideas? My Male Cat is Seriously ill and vet can't diagnose....

jdneely
March 27th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Simon is just shy of his 1st B-day. He is an unaltered male yellow tabby. He Presented with UTI type symptoms. He has been lethargic for 2-3 days, staying to himself. He continued to eat and drink and use the litter box without obvious pain or yowling. Last night On Sunday March 26 late evening, we took him to the vet when we noticed that his litter box was not as full as it should be for almost 24 hours of use. Vet took a urine sample via needle through abdomen into bladder, stated he was dehydrated, injected fluid under his skin at the shoulder. Urine test indicated UTI. Simon threw up first time after the fluids were onboard, before being brought back to the examining room even. We decided to wait for blood work until today to see how he did on the antibiotic at home. He was very lethargic after getting home last night, almost like a poseable doll, but very aware of his surroundings. This morning Simon jumped off the bed, urinated and defecated in the floor followed by 3 rounds of vomit. He was rushed back to the vet by noon and is on IV fluids, antibiotics, and pain for comfort. Blood work and radiographs show this cat to be healthy. Vet doesn't know what has made Simon ill. Simon is a totally indoor cat, has never been outside. No other cats live in the household. He lives and plays with a 65lb dog that recently recovered from kennel cough. Dog never leaves his back yard. Kitty received his 2nd round of shots only 2 weeks ago. First shots were given at 8 weeks. Vet called just now to say Simon is resting comfortably but is not out of the woods yet. This cat could still die.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be wrong with my beloved Simon?

Thanks for your replies in advance!

Bushfire2000
March 27th, 2006, 09:38 PM
I don't have any Idea what is wrong with Simon I just wanted to lend my support to you and him. It's so hard when you don't know whats wrong with a pet. Good thoughts and wishes are sent your way.

jdneely
March 27th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Thank you Bushfire2000! You're support for Simon means alot. Hopefully someone will have some suggestions!

jdneely
March 27th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Thank you for your urgent post!
Simon WAS rushed back to the vet before noon today and WAS kept at that time. He has been at the Vet on IV and Antibiotics for 10 hours now. We've been getting reports via phone throughout the day. Since the blood work and radiographs show a healthy cat I was hoping someone has had a similar experience and could help shed some light.

Thanks again for your concern for our furry friend!

Prin
March 27th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Sorry this is happening. I don't have any advice though. :(

CyberKitten
March 28th, 2006, 06:06 AM
I am sorry you and your dog are experienicng this. My only thought off the top of my head is that often radiographs (xrays) do not show some obstructions - just as they do not do so in people - and only more comprehensive diagnostic workup will show it - or it is discovered in exploratory surgery. (Like some ulcers for example that cause obstructions in areas that simply do not show up on the single dimension Xray. That's where a 3D scan is helpful or if that does not work, an endoscopy or milogram or MRI - usually my choice of last resort in humans I mean!!)

But I am NOT a vet so do not know whether that could be the case with a dog's anatomy. Might he have swallowed something so small that it caused some serious problem in his digestive system that is not visible by xray - how were his electrolytes and blood work?

Just my fist thoughts....

Good luck!!

jawert1
March 28th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Does he drink a normal amount of water? Also, is he on solely dry food? A lot of cats can't tolerate dry only, so perhaps adding wet to his diet when he gets home will help. I'm sorry I have nothing further than my support to offer you and Simon (and his doggy brother who's probably missing him). Something to think about too is getting him altered when he's up to it, since that may have some bearing on the urinary tract. :grouphug: good luck and keep us posted

jdneely
March 28th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Everyone......Thank you for the support you offer. It is very kind.

Simon was drinking his normal amount of water, (Especially from the tub when he could get you turn the water on...haha) This silly cat loves water.
He gets about 3/8 cup of dry and a Teaspoon of wet food between two feedings a day, breakfast and dinner time. We can't leave food out for him because of his "doggy brother". His doggy brother, Harley, misses him terribly. Has looked through all of Simon's usual spots to find him and now the dog hasn't eaten dinner last night or breakfast this morning. Keeping an eye on that situation closely. He'll do that from time to time but not usually two meals in a row.
Simon has made it through the night and seems to be comfortable but they still don't know what has made him sick. I think they plan to do a ultrasound today?

jdneely
March 28th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Simon had a good night and Vet says he is doing good now. Plan is to pick him up late this afternoon if all continues to go well. He is very nervous at the vet's and is not eating and drinking. Vet says he has to eat and thinks it will be best for him to be home now. Making plans to have him Neutered next week, (compliments of the vet since the bill is so high).

Thanks to everyone for your concern and advice!

Simon's very happy family!

jawert1
March 28th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Glad to hear he responded well to the fluids, let us know how he continues to fare :)

Bushfire2000
March 30th, 2006, 10:52 AM
So glad to hear he's home now. I hope he continues to do well. Let us know.

badger
March 30th, 2006, 11:33 AM
I would delay the neutering until your cat is 100% healthy. For a male, it's a fairly simple procedure but nevertheless, it is stressful. If he is showing ANY signs of weakness, aversion to food or water, or lethargy, please don't send him. I know the vet will tell you this, just wanted to reinforce it. Better to wait a couple of weeks than to risk jump-starting another bout of illness. JMO.

jdneely
April 2nd, 2006, 10:08 AM
Simon is getting stronger everyday and is playing again. However, we are having a horrible time getting him to eat much and drinking is pretty much out of the question. When we first brought him home we had to feed him Turkey with Gravy baby food from a spoon because that is all he would eat and the only way he would eat. He acts hungry and you can hear his tummy growl sometimes. We've had to take him back to the vet once already to get more fluids onboard so he wouldn't dehydrate again, may have to do that again today.
We are having to give him an antibiotic that he can't stand. Stubborn cat will spit it out of anything you put it in. We can place it at the back of his throat and hold his little mouth shut for awhile and he will still spit it out.

When we took him back to get more fluids, vet did a ultrasound because she wanted to know for herself if his bladder was getting better. She said it looked much better than the first time. She sent home some canned Science Diet food for Simon, he likes the Turkey but still will only eat it from a spoon.
We have tried both his old food dish and newly purchased dish, even a plain old dessert plate.

Simon is more the cat we used to know but it is worrisome that we can't get him to eat or drink normally.

Does anyone know any tricks or tips to get him eating and drinking normally again?

jdneely
April 2nd, 2006, 10:12 AM
We are definitely waiting awhile before having him neutered. He has been through enough for now.

Can you all give us the pro's and con's of having a male cate neutered? He is totally indoor and never sees other cats.

jdneely
April 2nd, 2006, 10:28 AM
How do you put your furry babies pics up on your profile? I would show you a pic of my pretty kitty if I knew how, (and my doggie too.)

jdneely
April 2nd, 2006, 11:01 AM
I may have figured it out?

cpietra16
April 2nd, 2006, 11:03 AM
jdneely....I would love to see your furbabies....when your're in the reply thread just go down to the additional options and hit manage attactments...it will tell you to browse for pictures and then load...good luck

jdneely
April 2nd, 2006, 11:03 AM
testing avatar? LOL

jdneely
April 2nd, 2006, 11:11 AM
Here is sweet little Simon.

jdneely
April 2nd, 2006, 11:14 AM
And Simon's playmate, our dog Harley.
Harley momma is a White Boxer. Dad is part Shepard and Black Lab.
Go figure how he comes out Red and White.
Both of our animals have such sweet natures.
Thank God Harley does, He's 65 lbs. He could hurt kitty but is very very gentle.
Simon will be 1 this month and Harley will be 2 in June.

Thanks for letting me share my baby pics! LOL

cpietra16
April 2nd, 2006, 12:07 PM
They're so sweet. I love the colors, so bright for orange

t.pettet
April 2nd, 2006, 07:30 PM
Have you considered giving the cat his own high-up quiet place for his food bowl and water - somewhere his dog brother can't get at them?Once he's feeling better his appetite will return and am sure he'd appreciate being able to eat when he feels like it as cats are nibblers.

jdneely
April 2nd, 2006, 11:27 PM
OH yes, Kitty eats and drinks on a cabinet high above his doggie brother. If the dog doesn't eat all of his breakfast/dinner, it is put up so kitty doesn't snack on it when the dog isn't looking. Don't want to give doggie any reason to hurt the kitty plus kitty doesn't need that kind of food!

Thanks for thinking of the high place!

chico2
April 3rd, 2006, 08:36 AM
jdneely,My 3 male neutered cats were getting a little picky with their wet food,but after I added a little warm water to their dishes they are eating much better.It makes the food saucier and smells stronger.
Their main meals have always been wet food and they free-feed on dry,but they are also drinking plenty of water.
Having had one cat deathly ill from UTI,I know the importance of wet food.
I would definitly have Simon neutered,but wait until he is strong enough,the procedure is simple,but the anaesthesia(sp?)can cause problems.
Pros and cons? An unneutered cat will eventually start spraying in the house and will be more likely to escape outside,I really don't think their are any cons.
I was happy to read Simon is getting better,he is a beautiful kitty and his doggie-pal looks really sweet.:love:

jdneely
April 3rd, 2006, 10:22 PM
Chico2,
Thanks for the info. It's been soooooo long since me or my roommate has had a cat as a pet, we just don't know what to expect sometimes. lol
Simon is finally eating on his own from the bowl now and seems to be well on the mend! Thankfully.

Reported in with the vet today and he said we would talk about the neutering later on. We weren't going to for awhile anyway because we wanted him to get stronger first and completely well.

I've been hesitant to feed mainly wet food as I was afraid it would put too much weight on Simon. He did get up to almost 14 lbs before we cut back a little. He needs to weigh about 11 or 12 lbs. Anyway, I think he needs more wet food now! He seems to eat "everything" he is given and that worries me about the free feed on the dry. What do you think? Will he adjust on his own?

Anyway,
Thanks again everyone for your helpful hints, tips, and tricks, for caring of Simon. He says "Meoooooow" too!