Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

how long does it take a rescue group to get back to you?

maigrey
March 27th, 2006, 04:12 PM
I was just wondering because I've called/emailed a few different places about adopting a dog and it's taking a while. How long should I wait before I try again? A week? Two weeks?

mastifflover
March 27th, 2006, 04:17 PM
I would wait a few days and email back. You must realize that these people that work in rescue are over worked and some have full time jobs as well so they can take a little bit to get back to you. Just a polite reminder that you have not heard back from them.

maigrey
March 27th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Oh I'm pretty sure they're overworked and they definately do not deserve to be repeatedly nagged at (which is why I'm asking here instead of emailing them again) but I was more curious at how many inquiries they might get a day. I think before I started I didn't realize how many people might be trying to adopt a dog at any given time...

mastifflover
March 27th, 2006, 04:50 PM
You know it depends on the dog certain breeds of dogs go faster than others, puppies go faster but I always go for adults and giant breeds. What type of dog do you want? How old any particular breeds that you like or are you open to a mix great dogs? High energy or laid back?

Lucky Rescue
March 27th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Personally, I answer emails right away. But I guess if someone has a purebred puppy in high demand and many emails, it could take awhile to sift through them all.

Agree that you should write back and show how eager you are to adopt!:)

coppperbelle
March 27th, 2006, 06:45 PM
I answer all my e-mails. If there are many then I will at least acknowledge receipt of someones e-mail. If you have not heard back, give them a reminder. It could be just that the e-mail was lost or the person forgot to answer.

Prin
March 27th, 2006, 10:46 PM
It also depends if you were supposed to fill out a form first. Some rescues won't talk to you till you've filled out their form...

CyberKitten
March 28th, 2006, 06:01 AM
I volunteer with Siamese Rescue and we have ppl who reply asap but the potential adopter has to fill out a form first before being considered.

maigrey
March 28th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Thanks guys, its just kinda frustrating because I've been thinking about getting a dog for months and now that I've finally decided to take the leap...well its more not happening than happening.

I'm trying to be patient and not get discouraged. All I want is a medium sized dog that's still got more years ahead of him/her than behind. I considered getting a pitbull but I live in a rather small apartment and, not considering that people in the complex might freak out at a muzzled dog, I don't want the only non-muzzled exercise my dog gets to be running around my apartment. Any other dog I can take to the park across the street and exercise the heck out of it in the no-leash zone.

I don't suppose anyone knows a reputable dog rescue group in the GTA area that won't make me feel like my email isn't working at all...

Lucky Rescue
March 28th, 2006, 01:49 PM
How long would the dog be left alone each day in the apartment? Some rescues would worry that the dog may bark and disturb the neighbours and end up homeless again.

Have you considered an ex-racing greyhound? They are great apartment pets as they are used to being in small spaces and they need no more exercise than any dog, in fact less than many.

IF you have an enclosed place to exercise it, that would be great.

maigrey
March 28th, 2006, 02:05 PM
For the next few months the longest any dog of mine would be left at home for is 3.5 hours (for classes and exams) and I'm quite willing to create a schedule next year so that I don't have a long string of classes on any given day. I'm also willing to reorganize the heck out of my life - not to mention spend 2+ hours in the park (High Park is big) every day - but that's not my problem right now. I've mostly sent e-mails to rescue organizations asking about all the dogs...I didn't want to commit to any animal I see just because of a photo and short summary. I was hoping that they would know if a dog would fit okay with my lifestyle. But I haven't got an e-mail back yet at this point.

And I am willing to work on dogs with separation anxiety although I would really hope that I can find a dog without a bad case of it because I don't have any experiance. (Some of the books I'm reading are excellent though and should go a long way to preventing stupid mistakes that I might have made - almost finished with "The Other End of the Leash" - by Patricial McConnell.)

Lucky Rescue
March 28th, 2006, 04:22 PM
A dog with separation anxiety is not a good choice for an apartment, due to possible property damage and noise.

3 1/2 hours alone is not long and it sounds as though you are certainly willing to put in the effort to be a responsible owner.

I mention greyhounds because they are used to spending most of their lives caged, are usually pretty quiet, and would have no problem being crated for those 3 1/2 hours.