Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Swearing!

Shamrock
March 27th, 2006, 04:12 PM
When I am out in public,the vile language that I hear coming from many teens and young people never fails to amaze me. Girls and boys both seem to use the worst swearing as a natural and normal part of their everyday dialogue.:mad:

It's doubtful that these young people are allowed to talk this way at home, yet in public places, loud and excessive cursing appears to be tolerated with indifference Ever sit on a crowded bus with a group of teens who appear to be deliberately trying to be as offensive as they can? They are seldom if ever challenged.

We can all swear in "the moment".. out of anger with an expletive or two, that is not the same thing at all.

Certainly it isnt all young people, but for those who cant seem to string a sentence together without obscenties, they either have no regard for how their language might offend..or are oblivious to the fact that it may. Neither one is good...or good enough.

Maybe I've just come to notice it more..but being subjected to this seems to be a commonplace occurence these days.:sad:

Has this type of language somehow become socially acceptable? Swearing not that taboo anymore?:confused:

chico2
March 27th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Shamrock,having 3 sons,I know when they were with their friends,their language would change,but they would never have dared speak that way at home,no I did not beat them,it was simple respect.
A friend of mine has a teen-age son(mine are all grown)I heard him call his mom a F.....ing fat B...ch,because she would not let him have her car:evil:
If that was my son,he would NEVER again drive my car.
I believe things have changed and not for the better,teenagers today(not all)don't seem to have much direction from their parents,it seems moms and dads are just to busy working and paying for all the expensive luxurys required these days.

Writing4Fun
March 27th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Agree with Chico. My teenage nephew swears a lot when he's with his friends, but it ends when he walks in his front door. Even the friends stop swearing. It's just respect for his mother.

Funny story: When my oldest brother was 21, he and a group of friends were sitting out on my parents' front porch one evening, just having a glass of Dad's wine and chilling out on a warm summer evening. The front door was wide open, as usual in the summer, to catch a breeze. The lads were chatting away and one of them let slip a swear word. Well! My cool, 21 year old brother told his friend, and I quote, "Don't say that word here! My mother doesn't like it when people swear!"

While some kids pick up that language from their friends (like my nephew, because I know my sister doesn't swear like that at home), I believe a lot of them do pick it up from their parents. I'm always amazed when I hear some parents talking to each other, within earshot of their children, and they're swearing like truckers.

And then you get my 6 year old who thinks that "stupid" is a bad word. :p

Bushfire2000
March 27th, 2006, 09:04 PM
lol. My 10 year old son thinks that "shut-up" is a swear word.
I tried to tell him that it was rude to say but not a swear word.
I don't really mind that he thinks it's a swear word, it might keep him from trying to learn new ones that will get him in trouble.

When my boys first started to ride the bus to school they had some problems with the other kids on the bus.
One day the bus rolled up and the boys jumped off, turned around and started to yell at other kids on the bus.
"you suck!" was what they yelled.
When I questioned them as to the reason. They told me that some other kids where calling them names. I asked them what names and they answered "that we suck, and F***face, and others."
I was very thankful that they only picked up on "you suck" to holler back.
The situation was resolved and they ride the bus without problems now.

The father of the "bus kids" phoned me to complain about some of our cows in his grandmothers yard (which can result in some damage)and swore for three minutes about the %%^*&* cows, I have no doubt about where his children got the foul language they were spouting at the age of 6. This gentleman even drove the school bus for a few months. I was not happy about that.

Anyway what I was trying to say is that home life can have a very big part of a childs/young adults language.

I tell my children that swearing just shows how uneducated a person is.

I remember swearing as a young person and how anyone who looked sideways at my friends and I, was "just an old person who knew nothing". For some it's a fad that will pale, and for others it's a way of life and they will be held back because of it.

Prin
March 27th, 2006, 10:16 PM
What the #%$&* is wrong with a little &%^$*# swearing? It adds a little #&#^$ emphasis and $&#$^ drama to the %#&$^ conversation. I grew up swearing my $^&$#@# mouth off. We were taught that it was #*$#& wrong, but over time, $*#&^#* authority caved in and starting #*$&^% swearing back at us. I have to admit though, I don't swear in front of kids or my elders (unless they need a good verbal a** whoopin').:D

Swearing isn't what it used to be. When I was little if they said a** on tv, the station got a fine. Now they can say a whole bunch of words and it's ok. Well... Some stations are a little overboard on the sensorship though. On City TV, they sensored "it" on Sex and the City when "it" referred to a man's endowment. Seriously. She said "it".:rolleyes:

Shamrock
March 27th, 2006, 11:25 PM
lol, Prin!:crazy:
Yeah, you;re right about that What a contrast! In the very early days of tv even the word "pregnant" was apparently frowned upon.
On the old "I love Lucy" series..the pregnancy of Lucille Ball was written in, and was a really big event to the viewing audience.
But the networks decided her "delicate condition" should be referred to in only the most genteel of terms. Apparently.. the "P" word was never used. Not sure what was. Maybe.... "the stork was coming?":
Course this was at at time when married couples could only be shown as sharing twin beds.:rolleyes:
How *##*** ridiculous is that?

But now we have The Sopranos.:eek:

I swear sometimes, think everyone does at "times".:) Some more than others.
But, a time and a place for everything.

And there are some terms that are just... well.. offensive, at least to me.
And its these that I have a problem with when they are loudly being broadcast in a public place.
I'm an "elder":D . Show some respect..

jesse's mommy
March 28th, 2006, 05:30 AM
But now we have The Sopranos.:eek:

But that's cable you silly goose. Anything goes on cable.

chico2
March 28th, 2006, 07:41 AM
Awww Prin,you're such a sweet child:D :D :D :love:

Barb_n_Paul
March 28th, 2006, 07:54 AM
Kids these days don't always display the "manners" once taught.

Back when I was a kid (too many years ago LOL) it was "common sense" many the things we complain about in children these days.

EXPOSURE is the key. kids these days are exposed to way too much......

Cable, video games, internet....... they are NOT to blame.........

WE are the adults... WE are the parents...... WE are the example and the teachers.......

but sometimes no matter how much we teach our children thru example or other methods, they get with their friends/peers and all the "rules" change.

My dream life would to live back in the "sticks"....... very little exposure to everyday life in the public...... of course keep my internet....... :cool:

Prin
March 28th, 2006, 11:37 AM
It's easy to blame the friends, but honestly, my friends don't swear.:D My brothers do...:evil: I think it's about teaching your kids a strong enough vocabulary that they can embellish and exaggerate their point without resorting to swearing (before it becomes a habit). To me it's about expression. When a teen wants to say something and wants to be heard when nobody is listening, people will start to listen if the sentence is full of obscenities.

And I swear- even though when I was growing up everything was censored and clean on tv.

Skryker
March 28th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Yep, "out of the mouths of babes" hardly means innocent anymore. My kid is 13; we know what kind of language she uses when with her friends. Doesn't impress or thrill me much at all, but it stops at the front door. When she is with us, she doesn't swear (or not often-she slips once in awhile. All it takes is a loud "PARDON?!?" and a raised eyebrow to put an end to it.) It is unfortunately the accepted lingo of her peer group.
So we have a household rule-certain words are not said by anyone in the house-adults or child. And we're all better for it-:) -helps us adults clean up our own language!
It's a terrible, insidious habit. I was not much of a swearer (is that even a word?) since it was not tolerated in our house- until I moved into the dorm 1st year university. Our Frosh week songs were expletive laden, and it became a habit. I rehabilitated for a few years and then worked in a place where every second word seemed to begin with "f". SIGH-even if you don't mean to, in it creeps. Then it loses its shock value and becomes just another word.

Speaking of shock value, it is a word I have NEVER used in front of my parents. Up 'til 6 months ago, that is. :o I was really, really mad and let the f-bomb slip when speaking to my mother. I was horrified! Mom just laughed, especially at my reaction. Then, just after Christmas this year, I heard my Dad actually use the f-word for the first time in my life. My jaw dropped and I was stunned. It shocked me so much, i emailed my brother to tell him about it. He was surprised too-he'd heard Dad use it before, but never expected Dad to do so in front of his baby girl (yes, I'm still the baby of the family,even at 35!). So it can still have shock value-in the right circumstances. ;)

Prin
March 28th, 2006, 12:03 PM
lol "f-bomb" I haven't heard that in a long time. :D First time I swore in front of my dad, I was around 10. I got yelled at, but it didn't deter me.:D

BoxerRescueMTL
March 28th, 2006, 12:48 PM
I think if you're in rescue, you swear a lot...maybe not loud and in public....except on really bad days!..hehe...but it feels good sometimes..it is better than resorting to pummeling the stupid people dumping their dogs for stupid reasons...

jesse's mommy
March 28th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Then, just after Christmas this year, I heard my Dad actually use the f-word for the first time in my life. My jaw dropped and I was stunned. It shocked me so much, i emailed my brother to tell him about it. He was surprised too-he'd heard Dad use it before, but never expected Dad to do so in front of his baby girl (yes, I'm still the baby of the family,even at 35!). So it can still have shock value-in the right circumstances. ;)

Talk about shock value, I about died when I heard my Grandmother drop the f-bomb! She was arguing with my Grandfather on the phone from my parents house and said really loud "You're a f-bomb-ing a****le", then hung up on him, just as I walked in the kitchen! I told the entire family too!!!!

iRONKNiGHT
March 28th, 2006, 01:11 PM
What the #%$&* is wrong with a little &%^$*# swearing? It adds a little #&#^$ emphasis and $&#$^ drama to the %#&$^ conversation. I grew up swearing my $^&$#@# mouth off.

Humor it's good for you!!! hahaha:p

Rick C
March 28th, 2006, 02:32 PM
By coincidence, this story on swearing in the Houston Chronicle today:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3753767.html

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

mummummum
March 28th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Wow..and I got my mouth washed out for saying "Bugger".
Okay, actually I yelled it...repeatedly while tearing around a VERY IMPORTANT PEOPLE party in my pj's. But hey - I was three! :sorry:

Prin
March 28th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Didn't you see the thread about Bugger? In Europe it means something horrible. Here it means "someone who bugs" but not over there... :eek:

Soroush
March 28th, 2006, 11:56 PM
what the f*** are you peepz yappin' about?

Prin
March 29th, 2006, 12:42 AM
Don't you mean "What the fizzle are you pizzles yizzling abizzle"?:D Don't get me started on that code. Even I'm too old for that one.

Luvmypit
March 29th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Bugger was a big no no in my house. I got my mouth washed out with soap. My parents take on it was that it was like saying the F word but using a different word. Bugger off, bug off, you bugger. But maybe b/c we are irish it meant whatever it meant in Europe and they maybe didn't feel to tell me.

My StepD gets in trouble for saying hell, crap, Oh my god or referring to me or her father as he and she. Just like it was at home for me growing up.

Rick C
March 29th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Did people really get their mouths washed out with soap?

Or is that just a figure of a phrase so to speak?

I'm 47 and I can't remember a bar of soap tickling my tonsils . . . . ever. And believe me, my mother would have done it. Do you use liquid soap these days? What's the trend for curing foulmouthedness?

http://www.siouxland.net/dynaimg/content/arts_theatre/ralphie_soap.jpg
An ad:

http://www.advertisementave.com/tv/ad.asp?adid=550

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Writing4Fun
March 29th, 2006, 02:35 PM
People actually do it. My sister did it a couple of times to her daughter, who was showing signs of developing quite the 16 year old attitude at the tender age of 8. Liquid soap works much better, really gets in between the teeth to leave a lasting impression.

Luvmypit
March 29th, 2006, 03:21 PM
I actually have had it done. I don't remember what was said but I do remember me and my brother 7 years my senior standing over the sink in the washroom and my mom taking soap and putting it on our tongues. I have heard of people using tabasco too.

Prin
March 29th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Nope, no soap for me. We had enough trouble with eating disorders in my family without forcing us to eat soap. We just got a good ol' fashioned disciplinary a** whoopin' instead.:evil:

Skryker
March 29th, 2006, 06:08 PM
:yuck: :yuck: :yuck: My Mom used good old Sunlight laundry soap bars. :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

Believe me, none of us needed a second treatment for foul language.

To this day, I can't see the stuff without feeling ill.

doggy lover
March 29th, 2006, 06:53 PM
I must admit I have a potty mouth, and when someone pi--es me off then I lose it. My teens swear occasionally when I'm around and I say watch your mouth, they say yeah right coming from you, ha ha. But they do not swear mutch in front of me, behind my back who knows.

I have been trying to cut down a little since getting Tucker because if I get angry and say you little Fu--er, he thinks I'm talking to him and goes and hides. :sad:

But I also know how to behave in front of people too, there are places that you shouldn't really swear, like at work i have to behave when around residents, their families and some of the supervisors. Honest I'm trying.:D

Prin
March 29th, 2006, 06:56 PM
So at the pets.ca bbq, will there have to be a fence to separate the stinky potty mouths from the people who are offended by it? Somehow I think if we throw some of us together, it could get ugly (as far as language goes).

mummummum
March 29th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Okay Prin - I'll run the gauntlet and do shuttle diplomacy between the two WITH A BIG BAR OF SUNLIGHT !!!!:evil:

mummummum
March 29th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Oh and yes Rick it was a real bar of soap and in my case it wasn't merely put on my tongue. My dear Mum loaded up a wash cloth and reamed my mouth out REALLY REALLY well to make sure I REALLY REALLY got the message. Of course, I don't blame her - I was a nightmare of child.

Prin
March 29th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Okay Prin - I'll run the gauntlet and do shuttle diplomacy between the two WITH A BIG BAR OF SUNLIGHT !!!!:evil:
Watch out! I'm a fighter, too!

mummummum
March 29th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Yes Prin. But you're young. I can not only curse like a trooper if needs be I can do so in multiple languages. So you had best be be bonin' up on swearwords in rare and extinct languages if you think you can run faster than my bar of soap.:eek:

Writing4Fun
March 29th, 2006, 08:07 PM
LOL! But just like that old bear joke, she doesn't have to run faster than you. She only has to run faster than the other people who are swearing. :D

jesse's mommy
March 29th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Ahhh, but can you swear like a truck driver????? They have the best mouths of all!!!

mummummum
March 29th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Okay now - jesse's mommy no bragging ...some of us are single ya know!:D

jesse's mommy
March 29th, 2006, 08:52 PM
That's a little game Jim and I play. :evil: Computer geek talk isn't really that appealing. :p

Prin
March 29th, 2006, 09:16 PM
LOL! But just like that old bear joke, she doesn't have to run faster than you. She only has to run faster than the other people who are swearing. :D
*$&%^@ right, eh? Gotta work on my endurance.:D

lol I just got that truck driver joke.:p

iRONKNiGHT
March 29th, 2006, 09:21 PM
did someone say geeky? okay that's it... i am going to insult you guys the geeky way..... 01010101010110 yeah that's right!! you heard me:evil:

Skryker
March 30th, 2006, 08:10 AM

Arggghhhh!! You wouldn't! I..I feel faint...(falls to floor and curls up in the fetal position, whimpering) :D .

Ahem-"Dear pets.ca. I am RSVPing to the bbq. I will be unable to make it as I understand there could be Sunlight soap there...":evil: