Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hi My 11 year old yellow lab is ill

ceasars person
March 27th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Ceasar our 11 year old lab became lifeless and was vomiting last week so we took him to the vet who advises he has diabetes. Started him on insulin last Friday, but now his back legs seem stiff and he is having a hard time getting up after he lies down. The vet brought up Cushings disease and says his keytones are hi. I know nothing about these conditions and would love to hear from others who have experienced them with their pets. Ceasar is back at the vets today getting more blood work and when I see how tired and sad he looks I am worried about him. He hasn't eaten anything but bits of liver we feed him by hand for a week and he has always been a BIG eater.. Has had to watch his food intact for years. Not throwing up much since Saturday and water consumption is deceasing but he just seems so weak and frail, while he hasn't lost any weight this month his body looks less massive than he has always been. His muscle is disappearing.

mastifflover
March 27th, 2006, 03:45 PM
I have a friend who's rottie developed diabetes it took a couple of months just to get the right amount of insulin and he has to eat at the same times everyday. He really had to watch him for any changes at all. Now that they have the diabetes under control he looks great and has his energy back. He did loose a fair amount of weight in the beginning. I hope your boy is okay just keep monitoring him and try and keep feeding on a schedule he said this was key. His dog had some bad days also.

ceasars person
March 27th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Thanks a million for your input. They put him on a different type of insuline today one he only takes twice a day & he is vomiting again, but part of that may be the stay at the vets. He is very spoiled and stays with us he has never been somewhere overnite alone and in a confined space. I'm hoping that once he's home again for a couple days he will be settling down a bit more. I'm doing some searching on the internet about keytones and cushings disease Wish me luck I'm pretty sure I'll need it. I am so not knowledgeable about these things.

jesse's mommy
March 27th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Do a search here on cushings disease. There has been some talk of it lately and you can get some current information. Good luck and please keep us updated with the health of your furbaby.

We would love to see pictures. :D

ceasars person
March 27th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Thanks I will do that !!!