Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New symptoms every 2 days

honebone
March 27th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Hi Guys,
I looked briefly through old posts and didn't see anything like the symptoms our latest foster is experiencing: we pulled a +/- 12 wk old, blue tick/border collie mix from our local animal control facility a week ago. He was happy and active for two days then got lethargic stopped eating/drinking and started pooping blood, mucus and loose stool for 2 days. Took him to the vet, had the stool looked at: no parvo and no worms except for very small whip evidence. The pup had no temp (102.5 f). He remained this way for two days while we pumped sub cu lac ringers into him along with whipworm meds metrinitozol (sp) and immodium AD. He got better, started eating/drinking and running around for 2 days still with loose stools but absolutely no blood/mucus. This morning he's lethargic again but this time with a 104.5f temp; he pooped 2 big loose piles over night still with no blood. We have once again contacted a vet tech friend who has suggested putting him back on lac ringers which we have started doing. Our vet also suggested we give him only rice and broth for a 'while' and start him on clavimox (sp) antibiotic.
So, does this sound like anything any of you have experienced? What do you think of the sudden fever spike after 2 days of relatively good health? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Mike :fingerscr

justncase
March 27th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Have your dog checked for IBD(inflammatory bowel disease). He may have previously had ulcerative colitis All of the symptoms matched UC but some of the symptoms disappeared when the diet was changed . The diet may not have been changed enough to stop all of the symptoms. It seems that your dog becomes lethargic , has a fever, and loose stools , when , after a two day rest of the digestive and intestinal tract, he starts eating and drinking again. When he is not eating or drinking, I would assume, that he is not being fed, or being fed very little, so the digestive and intestinal tract have a chance to rest during that time . It takes approximately two days for the symptoms to disappear and two days for the symptoms to return because, after two days, when the dog's symptoms disappear, he is fed and the symptoms start all over again, exacerbated by the diet. Ask your vet about starting your dog on a diet for IBD. Hills Prescription Diet i/d may work.

honebone
March 27th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Thanks Justn,
I'll look up more on IBD and UC. Until then, do you know if either would lead to an increased temp? I was thinking that possibly an inflamed bowel might allow infectionn to set in more easily leading to a high temp. Anyway, I believe you're definitely correct about there being a bowel problem...and we didn't help by letting the little guy eat so much so quickly. We will now feed him Purina EN and rice for a while, shove clavamox down his throat and hope he continues to drink water so we don't have to jam these GD pennny nail size 18 gauge lac ringer needles into his back any more!

jawert1
March 27th, 2006, 01:53 PM
I hate to go here with this, given you're already doing so much for your lil guy, but Purina is a wholly dreadful food full of stuff that may be irritating his insides. Perhaps allergy tests are in order to see if his normal food is what's doing this to him. Or a simpler way is to just feed bland (broth and rice) and then add in sweet potato, or some kind of meat and see what stays and what doesn't. Beats having to hold him down and shove stuff into the back of his throat :/ good luck

justncase
March 27th, 2006, 02:02 PM
http://www.preciouspets.org/newsletters/articles/inflammatory-bowel-disease.htm
Although the above link does not list all of the symptoms of IBD, it can cause fever and weight loss. Vomiting is not always a symptom, it depends on how severe it is. Purina is not used for IBD and,as jawert1 already indicated, is really not the best of foods for any pet, let alone one with possible IBD. IF you don't want any further problems( or vet bills) look into a diet that is used for IBD.

mom_to_many
March 27th, 2006, 03:21 PM
I hate to go here with this, given you're already doing so much for your lil guy, but Purina is a wholly dreadful food full of stuff that may be irritating his insides.

I fed Purina until one day my dogs looked like starving waifs. For such a popular brand I found that odd. My cats also refuse ALL types of their cat food.

honebone
March 28th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Hey all,
Yeah, I knew the word Purina was probably not PC on this site but, oh well, that's me. Funny thing is, our foster pup is on the mend again with no diarrhea or vomiting and eating only the Purina EN canned food; this stuff is basically a cake of rice with a 3% fat chicken broth binding agent! He's drinking water and chasing the big dogs again so, for now, he seems ok. We'll keep him on a low fat diet wiith plenty of rice, chicken and lamb. I think only time will tell if his symptoms are chronic but my feeling is that he probably picked something up in my county's sorry excuse for a pound and fell ill once he got here.
Thanks for all your help. I will definitely be back; we're working on foster number 125 for the past 5 years and my wife, in particular, has shown no signs of slowing down. Makes for a sometimes stinky and most times happy houshold. Mike

papillonmama
March 28th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Good to know the pup is doing better.:thumbs up

honebone
March 29th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Hi all,
Our little guy really seems to have recovered; as silly as it seems, my wife and I were proud as new parents to see he delivered a healthy, well-formed poop...no, we didn't name it. This is day 3 for him on the EN and he shows no let up running around and making a nuisance of himself, like a puppy should. Too soon to know for sure but it looks like we didn't let him recover properly after the initial irritation by feeding him puppy food (high in fat;causes stomach to produce excess acid exacerbating irritation) while ill. Live and learn...

mom_to_many
March 29th, 2006, 09:31 AM
lol at the "proud parent" but totally understandable!! Amazing what excites us! Solid poop! Hope your pup continues doing well!! :)